Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 9, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #6,136 of 6,290
Now, I had the issue that I couldn’t connect with Gofigure App for several hours.
After switching the outputs via button pressing it worked afterwards.
also once 2yu/2go is without power the device keeps rebooting.
White 2go status led solid, then flashing and then again from begin.
It seems my 2yu isn’t made properly.
2go on Hugo 2 works 100% fine.

Update:
After reading the FAQs at Chord‘s support, the first topic is a known behavior.
2nd point with re-booting with unit turned off and no power connected, remains open.

Last edited:
May 10, 2023 at 1:46 PM Post #6,137 of 6,290
Now, I had the issue that I couldn’t connect with Gofigure App for several hours.
After switching the outputs via button pressing it worked afterwards.
also once 2yu/2go is without power the device keeps rebooting.
White 2go status led solid, then flashing and then again from begin.
It seems my 2yu isn’t made properly.
2go on Hugo 2 works 100% fine.

Update:
After reading the FAQs at Chord‘s support, the first topic is a known behavior.
2nd point with re-booting with unit turned off and no power connected, remains open.
Check that you have the latest 2Go F/W loaded too.

May 12, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #6,139 of 6,290
TODAY IS THE DAY!
Screen Shot 2023-03-02 at 6.29.44 AM.png
Today, my Hugo2&2Go arrives! With Chord case (with carrrying shoulder strap!)

Getting to this point has been a journey! I fell in love with Chord when my wife gave me, six Christmases ago, a used Chord Hugo 1 that I had picked out. It continues to have the best sound of all of my portables, save perhaps my Lotoo PAW Gold. It has had its trials... three trips to authorized service - first the volume control ball froze, then the motherboard needed replacing because the USB connectors became intermittent, and finally the battery gave up due to normal usage. So the only part that is original is the metal case... everything else is newer.

As a collector of classic headphones, I have most of my headphones with the traditional 6.3mm (1/4 inch) jack. Yes, I know about adapters (I am particularly fond of the Grado ones), but they are always someplace else from where I am! I needed a player that could stream my Roon, Tidal, and Apple music and offer that jack size, with good sound. The two devices I considered were the FiiO M17 and the Chord Hugo 2 with 2Go.

I had been a part of Todd the Vinyl Junkie's lender program for the Hugo 2 in 2017, and I performed and documented a very extensive comparison of the Hugo 2 vs. the Hugo 1. Here it is (eighth review down the list): Hugo 2 / Hugo 1. I have always wanted the Hugo2, but the original Hugo always satisfied, except for my impatience with having to strap my source (usually a current-generation iPod) to the back... REALLY inconvenient to use.

In the meantime, I bought the Hugo 2 TT and then the Chord MScaler for my stationary system. Hugo 2 TT is fantastic, MScaler is, well, let us say that I have not yet grown sufficiently in my listening to appreciate the improvements that it has brought to my sound. (In other words, I can hear a difference in quick side-by-side by comparisons, and more often than not, the difference is an improvement, but NEVER enough that I would be able to tell in more normal listening situations, e.g., over several days of each.

I bought the Hugo2/2Go with some trepidation. I have no question about the Hugo 2 itself, but I hear unsettling things from some about the 2Go - unreliable internet connection and unreliable operation of the GoFigure app on the phone or tablet to control it. I had had that same internet connectivity problem with the iBasso DX160 in my home, so I am nervous! I have not had that problem with the iBasso DX170 or the Sony ZX-507 or any laptop.

So I assured myself with Todd the Vinyl Junkie, from whom I have purchased ALL of my new Chord equipment, that I could bring it back for a reduced restocking fee. I hope and believe I will not have to, but if the internet connection is spotty, I certainly will, as that is the whole point of this system.

It has been so helpful to read the 408 pages so far of this thread, learning about the ups, downs, and sideways of the 2Go with the Hugo 2. Thank you all. Now this fledgling leaves the nest and jumps, on his own, into the Hugo2/2Go world. Fingers crossed...
Enjoy! I got mine a few weeks ago and have had a great experience. BUT I only use mine around the house via Roon. Loving it so far.

Jun 25, 2023 at 4:21 AM Post #6,141 of 6,290
Hello
My 2go has stopped working, I can charge my hugo with it attached but not use any of the 2go features.
I took it apart and charged the 2go separately, then it worked for a day.

Now it has stopped working again, I take it apart again try to charge the 2go separately and there is no charging light on the 2 go.

Is there meant to be a light on the 2 go while it charges?

Does this sound like a faulty 2go?

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #6,142 of 6,290
My suspicion would be the internal lithium batteries on the 2Go. I don't think Chord use very good quality lithium batteries on their products. I had to replace the batteries on my infrequently used (but regularly recharged) Hugo2 after just 2 years. I bought replacement batteries from Audio Sanctuary. Not too difficult to replace but you do need a very thin blade spudger to release the glued down original batteries. If you do it carefully, you can reuse the original stick down pads. The new batteries are supplied with the correct plug in connector, so no soldering needed if that scares folks. A pair of angle nose micro pliers helps, for disconnecting the original battery connector and to reconnect the new one. I use Lindstrom Swedish micro pliers, originally made I think for fly tying. I have had my pair for 30+ years and unlike the cheaper ones, the tips of the jaws don't get bent out of shape, so that they don't meet.

I suspect what may have killed my original Hugo 2 batteries, was leaving it powered up on its charger for a month, after the Benchmark Media DAC 3L was damaged by a lightning strike to my French house and I used the Hugo 2 as my system DAC while my Benchmark DAC was away being repaired. If I had to do it again, I would connect the charger of the Hugo 2 to a switched power supply on the system, so that when my audio system was powered down, the charger would also be powered down.

Wilson

Jun 25, 2023 at 4:59 AM Post #6,143 of 6,290
My suspicion would be the internal lithium batteries on the 2Go. I don't think Chord use very good quality lithium batteries on their products. I had to replace the batteries on my infrequently used (but regularly recharged) Hugo2 after just 2 years. I bought replacement batteries from Audio Sanctuary. Not too difficult to replace but you do need a very thin blade spudger to release the glued down original batteries. If you do it carefully, you can reuse the original stick down pads. The new batteries are supplied with the correct plug in connector, so no soldering needed if that scares folks. A pair of angle nose micro pliers helps, for disconnecting the original battery connector and to reconnect the new one. I use Lindstrom Swedish micro pliers, originally made I think for fly tying. I have had my pair for 30+ years and unlike the cheaper ones, the tips of the jaws don't get bent out of shape, so that they don't meet.

I suspect what may have killed my original Hugo 2 batteries, was leaving it powered up on its charger for a month, after the Benchmark Media DAC 3L was damaged by a lightning strike to my French house and I used the Hugo 2 as my system DAC while my Benchmark DAC was away being repaired. If I had to do it again, I would connect the charger of the Hugo 2 to a switched power supply on the system, so that when my audio system was powered down, the charger would also be powered down.

Wilson
Thanks

Just spoke to distributor and he says it is the battery as well.

Thanks for the tip for removing the battery! Very much appreciated!!

Are the batteries you got from audio sanctuary of good quality?

Jun 25, 2023 at 5:26 AM Post #6,144 of 6,290
Thanks

Just spoke to distributor and he says it is the battery as well.

Thanks for the tip for removing the battery! Very much appreciated!!

Are the batteries you got from audio sanctuary of good quality?
I think that comes under the heading of "so far so good". They are not branded, so I suspect come from the usual cheap as chips Chinese factories. They look suspiciously like the blue 18650 lithium cells that come with Chinese made LED torches, which I usually replace with Nitecore ones, where the capacity is not an outright lie. If I have to replace them again, I think I would buy a pair of Samsung 30Q 18650 batteries with tabs and then solder on the leads from the original batteries.

Wilson

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 10.26.05.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-25 at 10.26.05.png
    329 KB · Views: 0
Jun 25, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #6,145 of 6,290

Wilson
I left my Hugo2 powered up and connected to the charger constantly since the day I got it, and it took 5 years for my battery to die. Not sure what the average lifespan of these batteries is

Jun 26, 2023 at 10:26 AM Post #6,146 of 6,290
If you leave a device on the charger constantly, it is best to keep it hanging at 80%.

My 16” M1 Max MacBook Pro still has 100% battery health despite being used as a desktop due to limiting the charging to 80% with 3rd party software.

But since it is impossible as far as know to limit the charging of the Chord 2Go + Hugo 2 to 80%, it is best not have it on the charger constantly. Else the battery health will degrade faster than normal.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2023 at 6:48 PM Post #6,147 of 6,290
With rumors of impending launch of a lossless tier for Spotify, has anyone heard anything about the long-promised addition of Spotify Connect to the 2go? Last I heard from Chord (December last year), they said they'd done the implementation and that it was in an endless wait queue at Spotify?

Jun 28, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #6,148 of 6,290
With rumors of impending launch of a lossless tier for Spotify, has anyone heard anything about the long-promised addition of Spotify Connect to the 2go? Last I heard from Chord (December last year), they said they'd done the implementation and that it was in an endless wait queue at Spotify?
Spotify have been saying they’re going lossless for more than year now. My hope has dwindled to almost nothing. 😢

Jun 29, 2023 at 2:34 AM Post #6,149 of 6,290
I think it is a race to the slowest between Spotify for lossless and Apple for their classical only streaming service. I will probably change from Qobuz to Apple as the classical selection on Qobuz is too biased towards early music, choral and baroque for my personal tastes.

Wilson

Users who are viewing this thread

Back