Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Mar 1, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #5,131 of 6,288
I do walk around my flat with both Mojopoly and Hugo2Go. No, no mesh setup here.

I do have a pretty great router though-

ASUS RT-AX88U​

I should mention that I have never experienced any pops and clicks.

What I did have is sporadic playback problems that disappeared after the router upgrade.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #5,132 of 6,288
I should mention that I have never experienced any pops and clicks.

What I did have is sporadic playback problems that disappeared after the router upgrade.
As someone who suffers from arachnophobia I find your router slightly disturbing 😀 - I'm sure it is good though.

I hope I don't end up needing yet another router upgrade. Hopefully adding in an extra repeater at the front of my apartment will at least stop the track skips when I'm sitting down although it will still be a mesh system so unless Roon gets less twitchy about declaring an endpoint offline when it stops seeing it for a few hundred milliseconds I guess that problem will persist with the only solution being switching to a single mega-capable router like you have. Or I could get up less often to go and raid the fridge for beer when I'm listening to music. Nah - that's never going to happen.

Mar 1, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #5,133 of 6,288
As someone who suffers from arachnophobia I find your router slightly disturbing 😀 - I'm sure it is good though.

I hope I don't end up needing yet another router upgrade. Hopefully adding in an extra repeater at the front of my apartment will at least stop the track skips when I'm sitting down although it will still be a mesh system so unless Roon gets less twitchy about declaring an endpoint offline when it stops seeing it for a few hundred milliseconds I guess that problem will persist with the only solution being switching to a single mega-capable router like you have. Or I could get up less often to go and raid the fridge for beer when I'm listening to music. Nah - that's never going to happen.

Haha, it is tad ugly, I gotta admit that!!!

Mar 1, 2021 at 2:34 PM Post #5,134 of 6,288
Interesting, thanks - although not what I wanted to hear. For me it's definitely "Poly good, 2Go bad" which is so disappointing given the 2Go is the newer model and 2.5x more expensive vs the Poly.

I do actually have an extra wired repeater for my mesh network sitting on my desk right now that I intend to install in my listening room (my living room) but that involves also relocating my main router to maintain an even spread of coverage across my whole apartment and that has prompted a whole rethink on all the network switches and cable routing around my main router so is a work in progress. I hope once I have the extra repeater up and running that will probably fix my issue but really when I'm within 10 metres of my main router (an AmpliFi HD) I wouldn't expect to have any connection issues.

Why oh why do knock-on effects - "if I'm doing this I might as well also tidy up this, that and that" - always seem to make something simple snowball into a much bigger project. Maybe it's just me!

Is yours a single router or do you also have a mesh system? Do you ever "go walkabout" around your home when listening and if so, and if you do have a mesh system, do you ever get Roon stopping playback when a mesh handoff between repeaters/router happens? I don't get skips, I just get the music stopping and sometimes it's deselected the audio zone entirely (maybe thought the brief connectivity loss on mesh handoff was actually the endpoint powering off?) but by the time I sit down again it sees the 2Go so I can simply reselect it and hit play to carry on.

In fairness the above mesh handoff issue isn't 2Go related, I get the same when I am using my iPhone as a Roon endpoint and that is using Roon's own app as the endpoint software, so I do think that Roon/RAAT-protocol could benefit from some improvements in how it handles very brief network glitches such as what I would assume must be a few 100mS at most for a mesh handoff. Anyway, that's an issue for the Roon community forums not here but would be interested to know if anyone does see any glitches with mesh handoffs when listening using Roon.
Your issues sound exactly like mine. I tried everything over about 9 months but in the end just gave up and relegated the unit to my bedroom where it can be connected via ethernet.
Every single other roon endpoint on by gigabit wifi mesh network worked seamlessly 100% of the time and I can wander to the furthest reaches without 4k netflix ever buffering but it was a total coin toss every time i turned on the Hugo2go as to whether it would decide to connect or not.
I never dared walk about with it as I would pretty much always lose connection and then have a real hassle getting it to connect again, sometimes involving multiple reinstalls of the apps.
Someone confirmed a few months ago that the wifi chip in the 2go is a dirt-cheap, bargain-basement model and so it can't handle the connection dropping to even 90% without crapping out totally.

Some users here seem to never have wifi issues, presumably they are lucky with their chip performance and general network conditions but for the many of us who have your issues, I'm not sure anyone has ever managed to find a consistent fix.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2021 at 11:46 AM Post #5,135 of 6,288
Is it possible for those experiencing severe pops to do a temporary exchange of the 2go with their dealer and use the substitute 2go in the same way in the same environment?

If there are variations in the pops in this test then that would cast doubt on the idea that the firmware can fix this as the firmware is identical in all cases.
In my case, the Poly was much more finicky as a Roon endpoint than my 2Go which has been more stable.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #5,136 of 6,288
In my case, the Poly was much more finicky as a Roon endpoint than my 2Go which has been more stable.
Interesting. I had the exact opposite experience. Before I returned my 2Go I tested it right next to the Poly. The Poly had no trouble as a Roon endpoint, while the 2Go dropped constantly (with pops and clicks to boot).

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:17 AM Post #5,137 of 6,288
Interesting. I had the exact opposite experience. Before I returned my 2Go I tested it right next to the Poly. The Poly had no trouble as a Roon endpoint, while the 2Go dropped constantly (with pops and clicks to boot).
Both Poly and 2Go have been excellent as Roon endpoints for me. 2Go is the better out of the two.

Mar 5, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #5,138 of 6,288
Both Poly and 2Go have been excellent as Roon endpoints for me. 2Go is the better out of the two.
This is what I mean by my earlier posts.

User experiences are so varied that it seems we do not have anywhere near control of all of the various parameters that are involved.

I think we have to look more widely.

Mar 5, 2021 at 2:32 PM Post #5,139 of 6,288
I bought the 2Go yesterday and am totally regretting it. I have a great Wifi system and everything in the house works perfectly. I have spent all day experimenting..even standing directly next to my router. It is a nightmare. Will be bringing it back to the trader on Monday. I am soooo disappointed because I thought I was getting something that absolutely fits the bill.

Mar 5, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #5,141 of 6,288
I bought the 2Go yesterday and am totally regretting it. I have a great Wifi system and everything in the house works perfectly. I have spent all day experimenting..even standing directly next to my router. It is a nightmare. Will be bringing it back to the trader on Monday. I am soooo disappointed because I thought I was getting something that absolutely fits the bill.
Before giving up completely might I suggest that you ask for a replacement eg their demo model or an open box and test that in your setup.

If the result is the same that would be interesting, if the result is different that would be VERY interesting.

Mar 6, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #5,142 of 6,288
Before giving up completely might I suggest that you ask for a replacement eg their demo model or an open box and test that in your setup.

If the result is the same that would be interesting, if the result is different that would be VERY interesting.
I'd second that. I didn't do anything special and the 2GO worked well as a Roon endpoint right out of the box...unlike the Poly.

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:03 PM Post #5,143 of 6,288
With this little travel router I'm not getting any pops and clicks like I do with my home Wi-Fi setup and my Phone's hotspot connection.

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed variations from a lot to no pops and clicks just by changing Wi-Fi connections.

My PC is connected to the router's LAN connection at the moment, 2Go connection is over is over Wi-Fi and my phone is tethered to the router and providing the mobile data internet connection.

Software running on my PC is Audirvana streaming directly from Qobuz, so simple setup really :) but I'm happy because I have a decent wireless connection that I can use with perfect sound quality. The range is limited to downstairs only, probably because the travel router is a short-range Wi-Fi device.

The PC and 2Go are the only two devices connected to this private setup.

The router was only £18 so a bargain really and for the main scenario I use this setup, which is my work office where I have no access to any other network it works great.

I'm happy, for now. :)

20210306_194419.jpg

Mar 6, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #5,144 of 6,288
With this little travel router I'm not getting any pops and clicks like I do with my home Wi-Fi setup and my Phone's hotspot connection.

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed variations from a lot to no pops and clicks just by changing Wi-Fi connections.

My PC is connected to the router's LAN connection at the moment, 2Go connection is over is over Wi-Fi and my phone is tethered to the router and providing the mobile data internet connection.

Software running on my PC is Audirvana streaming directly from Qobuz, so simple setup really :) but I'm happy because I have a decent wireless connection that I can use with perfect sound quality. The range is limited to downstairs only, probably because the travel router is a short-range Wi-Fi device.

The PC and 2Go are the only two devices connected to this private setup.

The router was only £18 so a bargain really and for the main scenario I use this setup, which is my work office where I have no access to any other network it works great.

I'm happy, for now. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back