Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 28, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #5,116 of 6,288
I’m sure people would not want D rings on there case if they don’t intend using a strap. So we made two types of case
I’m sure people would not want D rings on there case if they don’t intend using a strap. So we made two types of case
Fair enough, I was just trying to explore ideas, about how Chord could satisfy the largest number of owners, without needing to order multiple configurations of case, some of which may only sell in small numbers. :relaxed:

Feb 28, 2021 at 10:35 AM Post #5,117 of 6,288
I think it's fine that Chord has the two options. I'm in the camp that would want it clean and no d-rings. I would never carry my H2 around on a strap. But to each their own :)

On another note, wish Chord had had this case launch with the 2Go. Like many others, I have already obtained a case elsewhere. I needed protection for the device and couldn't wait. And I'm not spending another $100 for another case.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #5,118 of 6,288
On another note, wish Chord had had this case launch with the 2Go. Like many others, I have already obtained a case elsewhere. I needed protection for the device and couldn't wait. And I'm not spending another $100 for another case.
Totally understandable.
All manufacturers hope that the products (in this case, H2 2Go cases), align with the market needs. I am interested in clarifying if Chord have correctly identified the customer needs, and the distributors have correctly communicated those products to the dealers.
:relaxed:

Feb 28, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #5,119 of 6,288
I’ve been away a while so may have missed it but was there ever a solution to the pops and clicks issue?
I never had an issue when using exclusively over WiFi but after months of crappy connection issues I bought another dac for my main room and ran Ethernet cable to both that and my Hugo2go which now lives in my bedroom.
I‘m obviously no longer suffering any connection issues as the unit is permanently connected via Ethernet and plugged into the mains but now I have the pops and clicks all the frikking time, up to once or twice a minute on some tracks.

It must be related to either the ethernet or power cables as when I was exclusively using WiFi and battery power, I never had this problem.

Last edited:
Feb 28, 2021 at 8:05 PM Post #5,120 of 6,288
I’ve been away a while so may have missed it but was there ever a solution to the pops and clicks issue?
I never had an issue when using exclusively over WiFi but after months of crappy connection issues I bought another dac for my main room and ran Ethernet cable to both that and my Hugo2go which now lives in my bedroom.
I‘m obviously no longer suffering any connection issues as the unit is permanently connected via Ethernet and plugged into the mains but now I have the pops and clicks all the frikking time, up to once or twice a minute on some tracks.

It must be related to either the ethernet or power cables as when I was exclusively using WiFi and battery power, I never had this problem.

No, not for those who experience the issue. I recently reached out to Chord Support (Ed) again and was told that, "a further software revision is under test at the moment for release soon that we believe eliminates any remaining instances of this happening". However, this is what I was told last August. I can understand the Covid disruption, but man, it's getting to about a year since the 2go launch. I'm pretty disappointed being this is a $1300 device. It should've been caught before release.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:16 AM Post #5,121 of 6,288
For the pops and clicks issue I do get a few. I even thought I noticed a few when listening to Hugo2's optical source with 2Go plugged in, I've yet to prove this 100% though.

If there are pops and clicks when 2Go is plugged in but using a different input then perhaps the issue is caused by RF or conducted noise into Hugo2 which may explain why its taking Chord a while to fix it.

I'm confident Chord's engineers will fix it, I'm sure the fix won't come soon enough for some owners though.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:19 AM Post #5,122 of 6,288
Hm this wouldn't explain why some have it and others, like me, don't...I sure hope this gets sorted out ASAP.

Mar 1, 2021 at 4:08 AM Post #5,123 of 6,288
Hm this wouldn't explain why some have it and others, like me, don't...I sure hope this gets sorted out ASAP.
It would, as everyone will be subjected to a different level and mix of RF in their individual listening environments.

Mar 1, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #5,124 of 6,288
It would, as everyone will be subjected to a different level and mix of RF in their individual listening environments.
It might not explain it if an individual user, using the same RF environment each time they use the device, still experiences variation in the rate of incidence of pops and clicks from one such session to the next.

I suspect this is happening to me. Often I use the combo while sitting in the same spot in the same park with the 2go playing to itself from an sd card playlist with the phone disconnected. I am always careful to keep the phone far away from the Hugo.

The pops, while never bad, do vary from day to day.

I have not tested it extensively but it has seemed to me that in my case at least the pops are worse when the air humidity is low.

I still do wonder if the pops might be something to do with a static charge buildup or something similar.

This kind of idea would also go towards explaining the wide variety of user experience on this issue. Some of the devices might simply be more vulnerable than others to such an effect due to minor variations in manufacture.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #5,125 of 6,288
Maybe just another aspect of the "clicks and pops" issue but is general poor WiFi connectivity with the 2Go a live issue that has been discussed on this forum? Is it better WiFi connection stability that we're hoping to see addressed in an upcoming firmware release?

Previously I used a Chord Mojo/Poly combo connected to my home WiFi and configured exclusively as a Roon endpoint. Initially I had a poor experience with that when Roon would very frequently skip a track part way through and sometimes go skip-crazy and skip 5 or 6 tracks in quick succession without even playing any of them. A firmware update on the Poly mercifully fixed that for me maybe a year or 18 months ago now (I forget exactly when) and my Poly has been pretty much rock solid ever since but after upgrading to a Hugo 2 + 2Go combination about a month ago, connected to exactly the same WiFi network and also set up exclusively as a Roon endpoint, I'm finding myself almost back to the bad old days of my early Poly experience. It's not quite as bad, I've found a place on the arm of my sofa to the left of me that maintains the connection (the device is then about 6 metres from my router) but if I move my Hugo2/2Go to sit on my sofa to the right of me, about an extra 1.2 metres away from the router, it's "skip city" all over again.

The Chord subgroup on the Roon community forums has quite a few people complaining a lot about this issue but I'm wondering whether any Roon users here are also having issues. To me it does seem that Roon is a bit "twitchy" in terms of how it handles even very brief network glitches, e.g. it drops the connection to my endpoint if I move around the house such that I get a mesh handoff between my main router and a repeater, so maybe the "clicks and pops" that a few people here complain about are exactly the same thing as I am seeing, i.e. a very temporary glitch in the data stream that for non-Roon users is perceived as an audio distortion whereas for Roon users, due to Roon's twitchy nature regarding network connectivity, it can cause Roon to completely give up on playing the current track and skip to the next one.

Edit: Just seen your reply Steve. Given you see it playing from the SD card at least in your case it would seem to be not at all related to WiFi connectivity issues.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #5,126 of 6,288
Both Poly and 2Go are absolutely fantastic as Roon endpoints for me. Zero issues.

The problems I had at the very beginning were rectified by a WiFi router upgrade.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:36 AM Post #5,127 of 6,288
Both Poly and 2Go are absolutely fantastic as Roon endpoints for me. Zero issues.

The problems I had at the very beginning were rectified by a WiFi router upgrade.

Interesting, thanks - although not what I wanted to hear. For me it's definitely "Poly good, 2Go bad" which is so disappointing given the 2Go is the newer model and 2.5x more expensive vs the Poly.

I do actually have an extra wired repeater for my mesh network sitting on my desk right now that I intend to install in my listening room (my living room) but that involves also relocating my main router to maintain an even spread of coverage across my whole apartment and that has prompted a whole rethink on all the network switches and cable routing around my main router so is a work in progress. I hope once I have the extra repeater up and running that will probably fix my issue but really when I'm within 10 metres of my main router (an AmpliFi HD) I wouldn't expect to have any connection issues.

Why oh why do knock-on effects - "if I'm doing this I might as well also tidy up this, that and that" - always seem to make something simple snowball into a much bigger project. Maybe it's just me!

Is yours a single router or do you also have a mesh system? Do you ever "go walkabout" around your home when listening and if so, and if you do have a mesh system, do you ever get Roon stopping playback when a mesh handoff between repeaters/router happens? I don't get skips, I just get the music stopping and sometimes it's deselected the audio zone entirely (maybe thought the brief connectivity loss on mesh handoff was actually the endpoint powering off?) but by the time I sit down again it sees the 2Go so I can simply reselect it and hit play to carry on.

In fairness the above mesh handoff issue isn't 2Go related, I get the same when I am using my iPhone as a Roon endpoint and that is using Roon's own app as the endpoint software, so I do think that Roon/RAAT-protocol could benefit from some improvements in how it handles very brief network glitches such as what I would assume must be a few 100mS at most for a mesh handoff. Anyway, that's an issue for the Roon community forums not here but would be interested to know if anyone does see any glitches with mesh handoffs when listening using Roon.

Mar 1, 2021 at 7:46 AM Post #5,128 of 6,288
Interesting, thanks - although not what I wanted to hear. For me it's definitely "Poly good, 2Go bad" which is so disappointing given the 2Go is the newer model and 2.5x more expensive vs the Poly.

I do actually have an extra wired repeater for my mesh network sitting on my desk right now that I intend to install in my listening room (my living room) but that involves also relocating my main router to maintain an even spread of coverage across my whole apartment and that has prompted a whole rethink on all the network switches and cable routing around my main router so is a work in progress. I hope once I have the extra repeater up and running that will probably fix my issue but really when I'm within 10 metres of my main router (an AmpliFi HD) I wouldn't expect to have any connection issues.

Why oh why do knock-on effects - "if I'm doing this I might as well also tidy up this, that and that" - always seem to make something simple snowball into a much bigger project. Maybe it's just me!

Is yours a single router or do you also have a mesh system? Do you ever "go walkabout" around your home when listening and if so, and if you do have a mesh system, do you ever get Roon stopping playback when a mesh handoff between repeaters/router happens? I don't get skips, I just get the music stopping and sometimes it's deselected the audio zone entirely (maybe thought the brief connectivity loss on mesh handoff was actually the endpoint powering off?) but by the time I sit down again it sees the 2Go so I can simply reselect it and hit play to carry on.

In fairness the above mesh handoff issue isn't 2Go related, I get the same when I am using my iPhone as a Roon endpoint and that is using Roon's own app as the endpoint software, so I do think that Roon/RAAT-protocol could benefit from some improvements in how it handles very brief network glitches such as what I would assume must be a few 100mS at most for a mesh handoff. Anyway, that's an issue for the Roon community forums not here but would be interested to know if anyone does see any glitches with mesh handoffs when listening using Roon.
I do walk around my flat with both Mojopoly and Hugo2Go. No, no mesh setup here.

I do have a pretty great router though-

ASUS RT-AX88U​

Mar 1, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #5,129 of 6,288
Glad it worked for you. I did a router upgrade and the pops/clicks issue still persisted.

Mar 1, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #5,130 of 6,288
Is it possible for those experiencing severe pops to do a temporary exchange of the 2go with their dealer and use the substitute 2go in the same way in the same environment?

If there are variations in the pops in this test then that would cast doubt on the idea that the firmware can fix this as the firmware is identical in all cases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back