Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 23, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #346 of 6,290
You can always put a different card in. What's wrong with a collection of cards?
Cf. prior comment re: "I'm a lazy geek". Most humans are :).

I want to listen to my music - all of it - whenever I want. I do not want to manage a library of SD cards and swap them in and out while I'm walking down 8th Avenue or I'm busy working. By the same argument, I could still listen to my 1,000+ CDs, but storing them all and finding the disc I want and putting it in a player to get to the track or two I'm jonesing for is a crapload of work. I'd rather have them all digitized on a hard drive on my server (or an SD card in my DAP).

The high resolution music I've collected (250-300 albums) in the last five years is well over 1TB now. The CDs I collected starting in 1984 (>1,000 albums) are roughly half of that - ripped at redbook in FLAC. So in five years my music collection has TRIPLED in size. I hope it won't triple again by 2025 - then I'm even more toasted! Even with two SD slots!

Doody

Feb 23, 2020 at 8:56 PM Post #347 of 6,290
4TB capacity is a deal maker for me, too.
From your fingertips to the engineering gods' ears :) :)

Remember that 2TB is the design limit for the SDXC standard. As we've approached the design limit, it appears that it's taken longer to stabilize the new iterations. 2TB might be further away than we all would prefer (1TB wasn't yet a year ago). The standard after SDXC is SDUC, announced about 18 months ago. It's designed to start at 2TB and goes up to 128TB. It's possible that we'll have to wait for SDUC to get 2TB cards - that SDXC might tap out at 1TB. Certainly SanDisk has had a lock on the 1TB microsd card market for coming up on a year now. I assume (perhaps wrongly!) that's because it's really difficult to make these things as you reach the design limits of the format.

Moore's law generally continues to hold true, but it isn't necessarily an ultra-smooth curve. Fits and starts are part of the game, and we might be in a 'fit' at this point re: holding at 1TB for a while.

Doody

Feb 23, 2020 at 10:34 PM Post #348 of 6,290
a bunch of cards is a pain in the neck, increases the small chance of malfunction that can occur putting the cards in and taking them out and a lot more work to have to go searching for a new card when you want to listen to a different band etc....I too am very happy with the prospect of 2 slots

Feb 24, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #350 of 6,290
Great. The more of us that put pressure on Chord for a sensible one box solution the more likely they are to do it in quick time. And dont believe anybody who says it isn’t possible, will cost too much, no one will want it blah blah. When the Blu2 came out and I and others argued there should be a stand alone M Scaler everyone said it wasn’t possible, and even if it was it would cost the same, and even if it didn’t it would take years blah blah. Well, I was right - Chord brought out the M Scaler at way less than half the cost of the Blu2, improved the RF issues, and did so quickly.

Rob goes on over and over again about the importance of the simplest possible signal path. How on earth is taking the USB output of the 2Go through another box full of processors, converters etc, simple?
Completely agree. Re the last point a 'standard' set up these days is router/NAS/switch/streamer/DAC. That is before you've added a reclocker, USB purifier and upsampler for improved sound quality. That's a lot of signal processing and it's explains why I'm happy to keep my Auralic Aries Mini with internal SSD connected to a Qutest DAC with toslink.

Feb 24, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #352 of 6,290
I guess we just have to wait and see what stories Chord spin. And what Mr. Watts thinks. Maybe someone will come up with an RFI filter to put between the 2Go and the 2Yu and another for between the 2Yu and the Hugo 2. The 2This and the 2That.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #354 of 6,290
"spin"?

Or, we can wait to see what reviewers report.

Yea, I'm not really following what the OP of that message means. Or why you'd need RFI filters?

I already gave my constructive criticism (or complaining depending on how you look at it). At this point, if you're still complaining then it just isn't the device for you.

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:16 AM Post #355 of 6,290
Yea, I'm not really following what the OP of that message means. Or why you'd need RFI filters?

I already gave my constructive criticism (or complaining depending on how you look at it). At this point, if you're still complaining then it just isn't the device for you.

Well for example how will Chord spin the fact that you need a 2Yu to access the USB out of the 2Go for any other DAC than a Hugo2? How will they spin the omission of 5GHz Wi-FI?

As for RFI .. well it’s a known problem putting some phones near Mojos and Polys, and look at all the M Scaler/DAVE/Hugo/TT2 threads for the thousands of pounds worth of RFI treatments and cables that folk are connecting to and between Chord products. Will such things be advocated for these new products?

Feb 24, 2020 at 11:27 AM Post #356 of 6,290
Well for example how will Chord spin the fact that you need a 2Yu to access the USB out of the 2Go for any other DAC than a Hugo2? How will they spin the omission of 5GHz Wi-FI?

I imagine that same way they explained those choices on the Poly/Mojo combo, as nothing has changed.

As for RFI .. well it’s a known problem putting some phones near Mojos and Polys, and look at all the M Scaler/DAVE/Hugo/TT2 threads for the thousands of pounds worth of RFI treatments and cables that folk are connecting to and between Chord products. Will such things be advocated for these new products?

I'm sure they'll address any shortcomings, although one of your issues can be solved by moving your phone away from you HiFi devices. People will always want to take things a step further than the manufacturer did, so I'm sure you'll still have people "tuning" their cables and setups.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2020 at 11:58 AM Post #357 of 6,290
once the tuning stops where does the hobby go?:sunglasses:

Feb 24, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #360 of 6,290

I am surprised by no 5GHz, but I expect the rationale is the same as for the Poly.

Rob explained the root cause for the Mojo RFI a while ago. The world has moved on from 2g phone transmission, except when the signal strength becomes very poor in some locations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back