Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Feb 23, 2020 at 3:01 PM Post #332 of 6,295
Any updates from show?

Also, has an expected release date for 2Go been announced?
It is a few hours since I last checked, but feedback from the show seems non existent. There are a few photos from Saturday on chord's Facebook page, but I didn't spot any user feedback.
A few months ago, Chord were talking about the 2Go being available to buy, as soon as it was announced, but I haven’t seen any posts from owners who have walked into a dealers and bought one off the shelf.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #333 of 6,295
It is a few hours since I last checked, but feedback from the show seems non existent. There are a few photos from Saturday on chord's Facebook page, but I didn't spot any user feedback.
A few months ago, Chord were talking about the 2Go being available to buy, as soon as it was announced, but I haven’t seen any posts from owners who have walked into a dealers and bought one off the shelf.
Who has got a pocket big enough for a Hugo2/2Go? What need does it fulfill?

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:28 PM Post #334 of 6,295

I ordered one. Delivery is expected to take place in the second week of March.
The "being available to buy today" probably just related to "order now and we will ship out asap"

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #335 of 6,295
You don't need to carry them in your pocket. These days many people use small rucksacs or manbags for carrying things like laptops or tablets, so size is less of an issue.
Regarding fulfilling needs - that must be an individuals judgement. Enough people are posting that they have placed orders, to imply that they see a need.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:42 PM Post #336 of 6,295
The "being available to buy today" probably just related to "order now and we will ship out asap"
Certainly the original intention was that 2Go would not be one of the products that you could pre-order, but then have to wait several months before shipping started.
It looks like I was optimistic in expecting dealers to have the 2Go physically on their shelves, as soon as it was announced at CanJam.

Feb 23, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #337 of 6,295
I have lengthy travel next month.
Certainly the original intention was that 2Go would not be one of the products that you could pre-order, but then have to wait several months before shipping started.
It looks like I was optimistic in expecting dealers to have the 2Go physically on their shelves, as soon as it was announced at CanJam.

I travel for much of March... one US dealer has Feb 29th still listed.

Feb 23, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #340 of 6,295
You bought it unheard?

I did indeed. I already own and love a Hugo 2- as a Poly owner I have no doubt that the product will be great.

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:10 PM Post #341 of 6,295

I have coat pockets it'll fit in, but that's not entirely the point. We're all already carrying phones we can listen to music through (hell, you need a phone to control the 2go!). If ultimate portability is your goal, seek elsewhere - we all know the dimensions of this duo at this point. For me, I travel a lot, and I split my time between my home in Boston and my apartment, and offices in NYC. I rarely walk, ride, or fly without my small briefcase - which fits this particular setup just fine.

The point of Hugo2.+ 2go, for me, is two-fold.

First, this (I am hoping) is an end-game DAP solution. Today I travel with one of my DAPs (Cayin N5iiS or FiiO M11), and sometimes my Hugo2. The Cayin and FiiO obviously have DACs in them - the issue is whether I want to carry another, albeit much better, DAC/amp with me. [Spoiler alert - I often leave the Hugo2 behind - I'm as lazy as the next geek!] By mating the 2go with the Hugo2 I can lose my myriad DAPs and maximize the value of my Hugo2, which has provided me with immense joy since I got it - and now will provide me with even more value on top of a even more joy!

Second, when I'm at home, I drive my Omega speakers with my Hugo2. With the 2go, for critical listening I can run my home audio system entirely 'unplugged' from the world. Hugo2+2go+2speakers with no power or signal connections into the Chord stack. This should represent a gross reduction in RF noise in the chain. All my music fits on two 1TB sdcards. Yes, the battery in the Hugo2 will drain quickly (and we'll find out how fast in this setup next month), but for critical listening enjoyment, it's a disconnected, loudspeaker solution.This is a very unusual, very uncommon, and very cool setup to be able to play with!

Net-net, the unit is "value priced" against the Hugo2. Maybe the device has a $200 BOM - I dunno. But together, the 2go should make my Hugo2 even more valuable to me, as I at least double the amount of time I use it (cf. point one above).

My tuppence,
Doody

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #342 of 6,295
I travel for much of March... one US dealer has Feb 29th still listed.
When I spoke to Chord and to a few dealers at CanJam NYC, I got what I ultimately collated as 'varying' response from them about dates. My take (and I am hypothesizing) is that the hardware is ready to go and may even be boxed-up, sitting on palettes to ship. The issue appears to be that the software isn't entirely wrapped up yet. I won't name names, but the answers I got ranged from "early March" to "by the end of April".

Even if the hardware makes it to the distributors on Feb 29, it still has to get turned around to your retailer and then turned around to you. So they probably have another two weeks to get software tweaks worked through.

We all remember reading about (or worse, experiencing!) the Poly software mess upon release. Chord told me that they learned a lot from that situation - regarding both software readiness and UX. So I for one am hopeful (cautiously optimistic?) that that black eye cycled some positive outcomes in Kent. Fingers crossed, for sure.

I too have a 2go on order. I'm not holding my breath as to when I'll see it. Certainly by the end of April. Probably not February 29th (but feel free to prove me wrong!).

Doody

Feb 23, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #343 of 6,295
I'd like to take a moment so say THANK YOU to the crew at Chord for including two sd card slots in the 2go. This is crucial for me, as my music collection, when culled down, is still 1.5TB. Figuring out which third of it to flush isn't something I'm willing to contemplate (which is why I haven't progressed to Cayin or FiiO's latest-and-greatest DAPs - I own the last of their models that had two SD slots).

While we know 2TB cards are coming, we also knew that 1TB cards were coming - but damn that took a long time. The wait to get from 200 to 400 and 256 to 512 to 1TB was truly painful IMHO. 2TB might be a ways away still. 98% of DAPs are assuming 2TB cards (and above) will exist shortly, but I think they're being very optimistic boys and girls.

The extra cost for this isn't extreme, and the market for 2go are idiots like us here who own, generally, a metric ton of music.

So THANK YOU, guys. Can't wait to get my 2go!

Doody

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2020 at 8:10 PM Post #345 of 6,295
Great. The more of us that put pressure on Chord for a sensible one box solution the more likely they are to do it in quick time. And dont believe anybody who says it isn’t possible, will cost too much, no one will want it blah blah. When the Blu2 came out and I and others argued there should be a stand alone M Scaler everyone said it wasn’t possible, and even if it was it would cost the same, and even if it didn’t it would take years blah blah. Well, I was right - Chord brought out the M Scaler at way less than half the cost of the Blu2, improved the RF issues, and did so quickly.

Rob goes on over and over again about the importance of the simplest possible signal path. How on earth is taking the USB output of the 2Go through another box full of processors, converters etc, simple?
I'd like to take a moment so say THANK YOU to the crew at Chord for including two sd card slots in the 2go. This is crucial for me, as my music collection, when culled down, is still 1.5TB. Figuring out which third of it to flush isn't something I'm willing to contemplate (which is why I haven't progressed to Cayin or FiiO's latest-and-greatest DAPs - I own the last of their models that had two SD slots).

While we know 2TB cards are coming, we also knew that 1TB cards were coming - but damn that took a long time. The wait to get from 200 to 400 and 256 to 512 to 1TB was truly painful IMHO. 2TB might be a ways away still. 98% of DAPs are assuming 2TB cards (and above) will exist shortly, but I think they're being very optimistic boys and girls.

The extra cost for this isn't extreme, and the market for 2go are idiots like us here who own, generally, a metric ton of music.

So THANK YOU, guys. Can't wait to get my 2go!

Doody
You can always put a different card in. What's wrong with a collection of cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back