Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
Sep 23, 2020 at 11:50 AM Post #4,351 of 6,290
Has anyone gotten a meaningful comment or update from Chord beyond, “We’re working on it.”?

Regarding the pops/clicks, on 8/28 I was told by support that another firmware update is being "destruction tested" prior to release.

Sep 24, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #4,353 of 6,290
Regarding the pops/clicks, on 8/28 I was told by support that another firmware update is being "destruction tested" prior to release.
🙏

Sep 25, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #4,354 of 6,290
Interesting explanation from Danny Dulai, the Roon COO, in response to a question from a Roon forum member as to how long the process for Roon certification takes once they receive the equipment from the manufacturer.

"We’ve had devices take a week or two, and we’ve had devices take years. We’ve also had devices come in and totally fail and never finish because it couldn’t be certified.

It’s not a rubber stamp – there is real work to be done to make this work well. What I can say is that NO ONE has ever gotten things perfect on the first iteration.

Overall, it depends on how responsive a manufacturer is, how well they read and understand the requirements, and how honest they are (or are willing to be) about what they are doing to the audio in the device.

Getting us a device with working firmware is a good first step, but it’s just that: the first step. I wouldn’t invest in anything in the hope that it becomes certified in any time frame. If any manufacturer promises certification in the near future, they are promising things they shouldn’t be promising."

Sep 25, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #4,355 of 6,290
Overall, it depends on how responsive a manufacturer is, how well they read and understand the requirements, and how honest they are (or are willing to be) about what they are doing to the audio in the device.

Interesting, but it does raise further questions, relating to:
  • 'how well they read and understand the requirements' - part of my job for a decade has been requirements management, and part of that is the 'quality of the requirements' including, are they unambiguous, not misunderstandable, measurable, 'atomic' rather than containing multiple clauses per requirement, is the requirement mandatory (ie contains shall) or merely advisory (ie contains should), etc. It is the responsibility of the author of the requirement(s) to ensure, that no part of them can be misunderstood by the person (or firm) who reads them. The Roon COO is merely admitting in public that some element(s) of the ROON requirements are written to a low enough quality level, that they can be misunderstood by manufacturers - If so ROON is at fault, and not the other manufacturers.
  • 'how honest they are (or are willing to be) about what they are doing to the audio in the device' - this puzzles me, because surely once ROON has streamed the audio to the device, it should not matter what the device then does to the audio. I know that Roon uses their bespoke RAAT transmission protocol, but does this protocol also modify the audio files, to make them non-standard?
The consequence of requirements being misunderstandable, is components or products that are not 'right first time', and then require rework.

Sep 28, 2020 at 11:13 AM Post #4,356 of 6,290
Interesting, but it does raise further questions, relating to:
  • 'how well they read and understand the requirements' - part of my job for a decade has been requirements management, and part of that is the 'quality of the requirements' including, are they unambiguous, not misunderstandable, measurable, 'atomic' rather than containing multiple clauses per requirement, is the requirement mandatory (ie contains shall) or merely advisory (ie contains should), etc. It is the responsibility of the author of the requirement(s) to ensure, that no part of them can be misunderstood by the person (or firm) who reads them. The Roon COO is merely admitting in public that some element(s) of the ROON requirements are written to a low enough quality level, that they can be misunderstood by manufacturers - If so ROON is at fault, and not the other manufacturers.
  • 'how honest they are (or are willing to be) about what they are doing to the audio in the device' - this puzzles me, because surely once ROON has streamed the audio to the device, it should not matter what the device then does to the audio. I know that Roon uses their bespoke RAAT transmission protocol, but does this protocol also modify the audio files, to make them non-standard?
The consequence of requirements being misunderstandable, is components or products that are not 'right first time', and then require rework.

Interesting post. Thanks.

I read Roon's explanation for the deadline and the proposed fix for uncertified devices at:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-fix-for-uncertified-roon-ready-devices/120426

From a consumer standpoint, the explanation sounds reasonable.

I am already a lifetime Roon subscriber so I intend to keep using Roon. I was going to "pull the trigger" and buy the 2Go for my Hugo2 as a Poly upgrade but I'll hold off for now. I'm using my Auralic Aries Wireless Streaming Bridge with my Hugo 2 now as a bedside rig solution and it sounds great.

Sep 29, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #4,358 of 6,290
Sep 29, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #4,360 of 6,290
is there any sign of this mythical new firmware?

I certainly hope we have it available soon and that it addresses some of the longstanding issues people have reported. I'm one of the lucky ones, mine works flawlessly w/ Roon, Airplay, UPnP, etc. most of the time. On the rare occasion I'll experience track skipping or playback will pause but it's pretty infrequent.

Yesterday was one of those instances, tracks were being skipped in Roon or couldn't be played altogether. I checked my network and found that the Rx rate was pretty low on my 2Go despite having a descent signal strength. I did what I've seen recommended here numerous times and used the config button on the side of the 2Go to power it off completely and then turn it back on. All has been back to normal since then. Hopefully stability issues like this are something the Chord team are addressing.

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #4,362 of 6,290
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but does anyone else wish that 2go had a USB input that could be used as a passthru instead of having to unbolt it from Hugo2 whenever you want to use Hugo2 with a USB source? I appreciate it takes most folks only a few seconds to undo the locking screws etc, but for those with disabilities or arthritis etc it can be quite an effort, and I imagine would become a hassle for those intending to rotate 2go/Hugo2 among different systems.

PS - How does Airplay through 2go/Hugo2 compare to a direct USB input into Hugo2 in terms of sound quality? Is it indistinguishable?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #4,363 of 6,290
...does anyone else wish that 2go had a USB input that could be used as a passthru instead of having to unbolt it from Hugo2 whenever you want to use Hugo2 with a USB source? I appreciate it takes most folks only a few seconds to undo the locking screws etc, but for those with disabilities or arthritis etc it can be quite an effort, and I imagine would become a hassle for those intending to rotate 2go/Hugo2 among different systems.
Yup. A USB pass through has been discussed and desired. My big concern is losing a set screw (or two) when connecting and disconnecting it.

Doody

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #4,364 of 6,290
Yup. A USB pass through has been discussed and desired. My big concern is losing a set screw (or two) when connecting and disconnecting it.

Doody

I suppose a possible workaround for Mac users would just be Airplay instead of a direct USB connection, but I assume this would limit the maximum resolution? (It's been a while since I researched Airplay so I don't know what the current spec allows for in terms of bit-depth and sampling rate, is it still 16/48 max?)

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #4,365 of 6,290
Apologies if this has been mentioned already, but does anyone else wish that 2go had a USB input that could be used as a passthru instead of having to unbolt it from Hugo2 whenever you want to use Hugo2 with a USB source? I appreciate it takes most folks only a few seconds to undo the locking screws etc, but for those with disabilities or arthritis etc it can be quite an effort, and I imagine would become a hassle for those intending to rotate 2go/Hugo2 among different systems.

PS - How does Airplay through 2go/Hugo2 compare to a direct USB input into Hugo2 in terms of sound quality? Is it indistinguishable?

Yup, that was an oversight. Never complained about it with my Mojo+Poly because no screws involved. The need for screws is understandable for the H2; it's a bigger/heavier device. But a USB pass-thru should have been designed in due to that.

AirPlay maxes out at 16 bit/44.1 kHz, so USB would technically be better if your files are over that quality. As for if it's distinguishable to the ear, that's up to you :). To me, it's plenty good and I stream Tidal with the system often.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back