Chord 2Go & 2Yu Wired/Wireless Network streamer and S/PDIF adaptor - Official thread
May 15, 2020 at 8:44 AM Post #1,966 of 6,288
Thanks Matt. Can you also confirm whether Audirvana does or doesn't work for this purpose?
I'm afraid I can't as I'm a PC user and don't have Audirvana .
Edit - I didn't realise there is Audirvana for PC now!
Edit 2 - Yes I can confirm Audirvana works to play to 2Go from local storage and streaming services but similar to Roon it will not allow you to play from the SD cards inside 2Go. It doesn't appear to support DLNA server access.
J River will support DLNA renders and servers so you can play to and from 2Go.

After a false start I hope that helps.

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 9:23 AM Post #1,967 of 6,288
I'm afraid I can't as I'm a PC user and don't have Audirvana .
Edit - I didn't realise there is Audirvana for PC now!
Edit 2 - Yes I can confirm Audirvana works to play to 2Go from local storage and streaming services but similar to Roon it will not allow you to play from the SD cards inside 2Go. It doesn't appear to support DLNA server access.
J River will support DLNA renders and servers so you can play to and from 2Go.

After a false start I hope that helps.

Thank you! It's too bad about Audirvana, but that helps a lot.

May 15, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #1,968 of 6,288
Hello there,

It seems that Roon is a popular option here. Could someone kindly summarize the basic mechanics of Roon integration with 2go? With wi-fi, 2go would stream Qobuz and Tidal and you would navigate them with Roon from your Macbook or iPhone? Does this work wirelessly between laptop/phone and 2go and what other software do you need (GoFigure, etc.)? Also, what happens when wi-fi is not available? Could Tidal and Qobuz be run in offline mode from a phone and what software is needed for that? Or does this have to involve an SD card? And if SD card, can you still access it via phone through Roon (remote) or something else is involved? Sorry for so many questions, I wish there were instructions somewhere...

Cheers!

May 15, 2020 at 12:42 PM Post #1,969 of 6,288
I have JRMC (v24) on my laptop and just fired it up. It appears to have a DLNA section under Services, but I can't figure out how to get it to see any DLNA servers on my network at all. Used to be a big JRMC booster - before Roon - but never loved it much - clunky app. MConnect on my phone sees 2go and the various Sonos devices as well - so Im not sure why JRMC seems to not - I probably am doing something wrong setting wise (tried with and without the JRMC Meida Server running in DLNA Options).

I TOO would like a way to control from my laptop when I'm not using Roon. When I'm working remotely out of the house this would be super useful.

Doody

May 15, 2020 at 12:44 PM Post #1,970 of 6,288
Hello there,

It seems that Roon is a popular option here. Could someone kindly summarize the basic mechanics of Roon integration with 2go? With wi-fi, 2go would stream Qobuz and Tidal and you would navigate them with Roon from your Macbook or iPhone? Does this work wirelessly between laptop/phone and 2go and what other software do you need (GoFigure, etc.)? Also, what happens when wi-fi is not available? Could Tidal and Qobuz be run in offline mode from a phone and what software is needed for that? Or does this have to involve an SD card? And if SD card, can you still access it via phone through Roon (remote) or something else is involved? Sorry for so many questions, I wish there were instructions somewhere...

Cheers!
Your Roon server will see 2go on the network as a "Roon Endpoint". It "just works". Nothing required as long as they're on the same network. You select it as a playback device in your Roon Client (laptop, tablet phone, w/e) and you're off to the races.

GoFigure you'll need to switch between the two SDcards - but otherwise, you won't need it.

Doody

May 15, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,971 of 6,288
Thank you Doody, much appreciated!

So in a wi-fi scenario, would Roon or another endpoint be necessary, or can 2go also see Qobuz and Tidal directly the same way as it sees Roon?

And I'm guessing without wi-fi Roon is out, so we'd have to resort to such apps as Mconnect, which is less ideal that using Qobuz / Tidal directly?

And Mconnect and such would also be necessary to play from sd card?

Sorry, I'm going through all the possible options to justify a 2go purchase...

Thanks again!

May 15, 2020 at 2:53 PM Post #1,972 of 6,288
Just tried a Roon Bridged Ethernet setup with the 2Go and I'm really liking it—even more natural detail against such a black background.

(The MacBook Pro is running the Roon Server and the Ethernet port is bridged over the Wifi port. The dongle is a USB-C to ethernet adapter. On a Mac, go to System Preferences->Sharing and turn on Internet Sharing and set it up as below. There's no special setup required for Roon—though I had to temporarily deauthorize my ROCK NUC server.)

It's perhaps an odd use case, but the sound is great. With Hugo2Go the whole setup is running off batteries :)

This is another way of getting Roon to the 2go. This works for me

Page 119 of this thread

Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #1,973 of 6,288
Just got my Valentinum case today. Grueling three weeks of delivery. Very satisfied with the look/materials. The fit is really tight. The H2's center window and lettering above the four balls don't line up perfectly to the edges (but well enough). I was more concerned with the end, magnetic flap not closing at first because the unit was ever-so slightly overshooting. Fortunately leather stretches and a little pulling/pushing got to close fully.

11235991.jpg

11235992.jpg

11235993.jpg

11235994.jpg

11235995.jpg

11235996.jpg

Attachments

• DSC02039-min.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02040-min.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02041-min.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02042-min.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02044-min.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC02046-min.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,974 of 6,288
Mconnect Player (not lite)
well noted, using Mconnect Lite, whats the benefit with paid version vs lite( except the obvious “no more commercials), other benefits worthwhile paying for normal version.

May 15, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #1,975 of 6,288
Just got my Valentinum case today. Grueling three weeks of delivery. Very satisfied with the look/materials. The fit is really tight. The H2's center window and lettering above the four balls don't line up perfectly to the edges (but well enough). I was more concerned with the end, magnetic flap not closing at first because the unit was ever-so slightly overshooting. Fortunately leather stretches and a little pulling/pushing got to close fully.

11235991.jpg

11235992.jpg

11235993.jpg

11235994.jpg

11235995.jpg

11235996.jpg
looks decent, how about heat dissipation , mu Hugo2go get pretty hot on cable mode, once once on battery very cool! concerned about temp in enclosure space.......?

May 16, 2020 at 2:18 AM Post #1,979 of 6,288
I rarely post here but think Head-Fi is a fantastic resource and read the useful information posted often. I have heard all of the existing Chord DACs and think Rob Watts and Chord bring a superb line to the marketplace, and I have been fortunate to experience extensively many of the world’s best DACs as reference points.

In addition, I own a Hugo 1, numerous high end daps, many high end headphones and a high quality home headphone system. I feel comfortable saying the Hugo2 is unquestionably a solid performer as a transportable and is probably best in class from everything I’ve listened to. It does not, however, rival true high end headphone amp/dac rigs, but it is very, very good for something users can carry around. And I will ignore the minor hardware defect that will require me to return my unit for a replacement, because that defect didn’t impact the SQ, which was solid and better certainly than Chord’s Hugo 1 and Mojo for sure (but does make me question Chord’s quality control).

But (MAJOR BUT) the 2Go simply is not ready from prime time. In fact, my experience, in a word, would be - abysmal. In another word - disappointing. In a third word - frustrating. The software is just awful. It is extremely glitchy and poorly organized and implemented from a UI perspective. I am pretty surprised Chord didn’t team with a real developer to create a good app. They’ve had plenty of time since the Poly. The 2Go is supposed to be a premium product. The software is the furthest thing from premium; it’s amateurish. Maybe some users are willing to compromise, but there shouldn’t be a need to compromise for a $4,000 product offering. I had read some posts expressing similar views, but I didn’t think it would be this lousy.

Unfortunately, I had consistent problems with the 2Go hardware too. I could not get the 2Go/Hugo2 to play for more than about 90 minutes without shutting off totally, and it was plugged in the entire time. The Hugo2 alone played unendingly, as expected. Moreover, on many occasions I suddenly lost network connectivity and needed to reboot. I have no network issues, and I know a fair bit about networking and am connecting the 2Go to 2.4 WiFi (which is itself a complicating limitation). I had to make substantial adjustments to my home network, including changing router security settings, just to get the 2Go to even connect to my network using a high end linksys router.

I hate to say it because of my respect for the Chord product line, but the 2Go just isn’t ready for prime time. I will be returning everything. Unfortunately, I cannot return expensive custom headphone cables and sd cards that I purchased on the belief that I would use them with the Hugo2/2Go, so I am out money for being a beta tester for Chord. That part is my fault I suppose. I might keep the Hugo2, but my primary anticipated use case was with the sd storage, which implicates, among other problems, the poor software (p.s. I didn’t find any high quality iOS player that did everything I wanted, but there are a few decent ones mentioned in posts here, and no player can see both sd cards at the same time, so users need to basically memorize what’s on each card and potentially change a setting deeply buried in menus too frequently to access other music).

My bottom line would be buyer beware on 2Go.

May 16, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #1,980 of 6,288
I rarely post here but think Head-Fi is a fantastic resource and read the useful information posted often. I have heard all of the existing Chord DACs and think Rob Watts and Chord bring a superb line to the marketplace, and I have been fortunate to experience extensively many of the world’s best DACs as reference points.

In addition, I own a Hugo 1, numerous high end daps, many high end headphones and a high quality home headphone system. I feel comfortable saying the Hugo2 is unquestionably a solid performer as a transportable and is probably best in class from everything I’ve listened to. It does not, however, rival true high end headphone amp/dac rigs, but it is very, very good for something users can carry around. And I will ignore the minor hardware defect that will require me to return my unit for a replacement, because that defect didn’t impact the SQ, which was solid and better certainly than Chord’s Hugo 1 and Mojo for sure (but does make me question Chord’s quality control).

But (MAJOR BUT) the 2Go simply is not ready from prime time. In fact, my experience, in a word, would be - abysmal. In another word - disappointing. In a third word - frustrating. The software is just awful. It is extremely glitchy and poorly organized and implemented from a UI perspective. I am pretty surprised Chord didn’t team with a real developer to create a good app. They’ve had plenty of time since the Poly. The 2Go is supposed to be a premium product. The software is the furthest thing from premium; it’s amateurish. Maybe some users are willing to compromise, but there shouldn’t be a need to compromise for a $4,000 product offering. I had read some posts expressing similar views, but I didn’t think it would be this lousy.

Unfortunately, I had consistent problems with the 2Go hardware too. I could not get the 2Go/Hugo2 to play for more than about 90 minutes without shutting off totally, and it was plugged in the entire time. The Hugo2 alone played unendingly, as expected. Moreover, on many occasions I suddenly lost network connectivity and needed to reboot. I have no network issues, and I know a fair bit about networking and am connecting the 2Go to 2.4 WiFi (which is itself a complicating limitation). I had to make substantial adjustments to my home network, including changing router security settings, just to get the 2Go to even connect to my network using a high end linksys router.

I hate to say it because of my respect for the Chord product line, but the 2Go just isn’t ready for prime time. I will be returning everything. Unfortunately, I cannot return expensive custom headphone cables and sd cards that I purchased on the belief that I would use them with the Hugo2/2Go, so I am out money for being a beta tester for Chord. That part is my fault I suppose. I might keep the Hugo2, but my primary anticipated use case was with the sd storage, which implicates, among other problems, the poor software (p.s. I didn’t find any high quality iOS player that did everything I wanted, but there are a few decent ones mentioned in posts here, and no player can see both sd cards at the same time, so users need to basically memorize what’s on each card and potentially change a setting deeply buried in menus too frequently to access other music).

My bottom line would be buyer beware on 2Go.

I think your experience mirrors mine. The usability issue around the software/firmware needs addressing.

I am on my second 2go. (I rejected the first one because it was not brand new when I received it from the dealer (this was sorted out quickly)). With my current unit, I have now experienced 2 instances in 4 days where the hugo2go shuts down even though it was plugged in - with the hugo2go very hot to touch. It was driving Oppo PM-1 headphones. Also noticed a couple of times when the hugo2 is not getting charged even when the original Hugo2 charger is connect to the 2go.

My Hugo2 has worked flawlessly over the past 2 years that I have owned it so it is a keeper. I like the 2go as it fits my use case perfectly and sounds great, but it needs to work. I am keeping a close eye on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back