Choral music / Organ music
Feb 26, 2011 at 11:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

threedee

New Head-Fier
Looking to get a fix for choral / organ music.

At the moment i'm listening to Eric Witacre stuff, but would like to expand on whats good on choral front of music.
Particular interest is male chorus. My late grandfather sang bass in a male chorus, i remember the impressions i had as a young boy
watching them rehearse in a theather hall (medium/big stage). I do understand that i will probably never experience the "feeling" of male
choir through headphones (air pressure can be felt sitting in the the front row...), but if i can get my hands on a good male acapella that'd be great..
Cant find any records of him singing anymore, dark soviet times, no good records... Dont even know the choir name... Very long time ago.

On the other hand i'd also like to have a listen to some great organ music, classic and contemporary alike.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Bought Sennheiser HD448 and starting to explore a bit. Also looking M50 way, my wife is gonna hate me...
On related note, is it me (or headphones), female high end of choir makes the unpleasant ringing. Maybe i'm listening too loud, which i dont think i am.
Best i can describe it it sounds like mpeg overcompression ringing, which it is not, its flac.

Feb 27, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #2 of 3
For male choral music, try the very versatile group The Chanticleer, whose repertoire runs from Renaissance hymals, to American folk tunes and modern compositions. The CD Our American Journey is a good overview.

For organ music, the works by J.S. Bach are obvious starters. I prefer the lighter, chamber music-like touch of Helmult Walcha. Also try the organ concertos by Handel.

Modern organ music is a bit tough to recommend as they are not necessarily written to please the ears, but the music by the Czech composer Petr Eben is worth exploring.

Mar 2, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 3
I second the Bach for organ. I have an lp here " Bach Organ Favorites played by E.Power Biggs " that can shake pictures off the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back