Choosing the right portable amp for Denon D5000
Jan 26, 2012 at 1:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Bonobo Loco

100+ Head-Fier
When I get my set of D5000's, I want to get the right amp to make them sound their best. I'm new to the world of audiophilia, so I don't know at all which one to pick from. Here are my candidates:

Pico Slim ($399):

http://www.headamp.com/pico/pico_slim_amp/index.htm

[size=medium] [size=x-small]SPECIFICATIONS[/size][/size]
[size=medium]  [/size]
[size=xx-small]Device Type[/size] [size=xx-small]Solid State[/size]
[size=xx-small]Battery Type[/size] [size=xx-small]1-Cell Lithium-Polymer[/size]
[size=xx-small]Battery Life[/size] [size=xx-small]~60 hours per charge[/size]
[size=xx-small]Recharge Time[/size] [size=xx-small]3 hours[/size]
[size=xx-small]Frequency Response[/size] [size=xx-small]20Hz-20KHz +/- 0.1dB[/size]
[size=xx-small]Signal-to-Noise Ratio[/size] [size=xx-small]>100dB[/size]
[size=xx-small]Total Harmonic Distortion[/size] [size=xx-small]0.003%[/size]
[size=xx-small]Stereo Crosstalk[/size] [size=xx-small]>85dB @ 1KHz[/size]
[size=xx-small]Gain[/size] [size=xx-small]up to 2x/6dB[/size]
[size=xx-small]Input Impedance[/size] [size=xx-small]10K ohms[/size]
[size=xx-small]Output Impedance[/size] [size=xx-small]less than 1 ohm[/size]
[size=xx-small]Output Voltage[/size] [size=xx-small]4V peak-to-peak, 1.4Vrms[/size]
[size=xx-small]Output Power[/size] [size=xx-small]0.35Wrms w/ 32 ohm load[/size]
[size=xx-small]Inputs/Outputs[/size] [size=xx-small]1x 3.5mm input,  1x 3.5mm headphone out[/size]
[size=xx-small]Chassis Dimensions[/size] [size=xx-small]3.15 (L) x 1.55 (W) x 0.37 (H) inches[/size]

TTVJ Slim ($349):

https://www.ttvjaudio.com/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=34

[size=small]
Specifications:[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Frequency response: DC to >100kHz, ±1dB; 20Hz - 20kHz ±0.1dB @ 1V out[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Maximum output: 3.29V RMS into 150Ω; 2.14V RMS into 33Ω[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Output source impedance: Approximately 2Ω[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• THD+N: 0.004% @ 1V RMS out into 150Ω or 33Ω[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Broadband noise: <10μV RMS, unweighted, integrated over 20Hz - 20kHz[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Output DC offset: <5mV[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Input impedance: 10kΩ[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Maximum input level: 2V RMS[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Channel tracking (gain difference between channels, all volume steps): <±0.2dB[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Maximum gain: 0dB, 10dB, or 20dB (switch-selectable), ±<0.5dB[/size][size=small][/size]
[size=small]
• Dimensions: 104mm long x 70mm wide x 12mm thick[/size]

Meier Audio Corda ($385):

http://www.meier-audio.homepage.t-online.de/2stepdance.htm

Specifications:

Measures: 8.9 x 6.6 x 2.2 cm

Weight without battery: 130 gr.

Supply voltage: 6 .. (9) .. 15 Volts DC

Mean current uptake: 35 mA / 20mA (high/low-current-consumption-mode)

Discrete volume control. Typical stepsize 1.5 dB, 31 steps.

Maximal amplification: 0 / 14 dB (low/high gain)

Active balanced headphone ground.

Star-grounding and ultra short signal paths.

Input impedance: 120 / 17 kOhm

Output impedance: < 1 Ohm

The unit runs from a single 9V battery and internally the supply voltage is used to create a pair of +4.5 and -4.5V powerlines (low current consumption mode) or a pair of +9 and -9V powerlines (high current consumption mode).

Alternatively external powersupplies can be connected with supply voltages between 6V and 15V DC. The external supply voltage is internally doubled to create a pair of +6..+15V and -6..-15V powerlines.

External noise is removed by extensive LC-filtering of the supply voltage.

The total buffer capacity is 4700 uF to lower the effective battery impedance.

For amplification five single OPA209 opamps are used for maximal sonic performance.(No dual or quad-opamps!)

The 3.5 mm sockets are silver-plated.

Inside the signal path only metal-resistors and high-quality film-capacitors are used (polypropylene).

The enclosure is made entirely of aluminium.

Accessories:  2 mini-mini interconnects (goldplated)
                          tool to open the amp

Headroom Total BitHead ($149):

http://www.headphone.com/headphone-amps/amplifiers/headroom-total-bithead.php

Specifications:

1. Weight: 1 lb (.5 kg)
  2. Dimensions: 3" x 4.5" x .75"
  3. DAC: yes
  4. Frequency Response: 20–20k, ±1
  5. THD at 1V output: <.01
  6. Input Impedance at 1kHz (ohms): 18k
  7. Amplifier Group: The Mobile Line
  8. Portable: yes
  9. Warranty: 2 Years

Fiio E7/E9 Stack ($179):

http://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Desktop-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B005C5IN98/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&qid=1327558269&sr=8-15

Specifications:

[size=small]
  1. Includes powerful E9 desktop headphone amplifier and portable E7 headphone amp and USB DAC
  2. Ultra low noise and low distortion with enough power output to drive 600Ohm headphones
  3. Smooth and low noise ALPS sealed potentiometer for volume control
  4. Audio buffers using ultra-low distortion and low noise Burr-Brown OPA2134 op amps
  5. High accuracy USB DAC for optimal music playback from a computer
[/size]

-   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   -   

For anyone who cares to look over this data, it would be very helpful to me (and probably lots of other people) if we could have an expert or two weigh in on how these match up. I'm looking to have audiophile-grade sound on the go with me. I don't care as much about big booming base as I do about a balanced, well-rounded and full, clear sound. If I'm going to spend $400+ on headphones I really want to get the right amp to go with it. 

Also in the future I plan to pick up a Sennheiser HD650 for home use, and it would be nice if the same amp would benefit both sets... although that would just be an added bonus.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Jan 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #4 of 6
anyone know if the Headroom Total BitHead can do the DAC thing on iPod Classics? I don't have an iPad but do have an iPod 7th Gen that I'd love to get the Bithead if it works well.

Jan 27, 2012 at 10:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Hello and welcome to the world of Audiophiles!
it seems that you and I own similar headphones and are in the market for a new portable amp.
From that list right therenI can tell you that the E7/E9 combo is not what you want. You might as well go for an E17 which everyone seems pretty excited about, costs less than that combo, and seems to have better sound quality.

As for your question about thetotal bithead being able to bypass the dac of an ipod classic. It cant.
if you want an explanation as of why, I'll be happy to explain it to you.

You might also want to consider something in the ray samuels or in the ibasso line of products.
What kind of music do you listen to and what kind of sound do you like?
when you get to this point it really is more about preferences than to what is right,

Cheers

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:46 PM Post #6 of 6
I have the Lawton Audio-modded D5000. It matches very well with my Pico (not Slim) amp/DAC. But it's even better with my Headamp Gilmore Lite desktop amp. If memory serves me right, the stock D5000 have shrill highs (that the Headamp amps tend to accentuate) and flabby bass (which the amps tighten up). With the LA mods (standard upgrades), the D5000 are outstanding. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back