Choosing the right ones
Dec 9, 2006 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

vocode

New Head-Fier
So here I am in a bit complex situation - i wanna get a pair of good cans but i'm stcuk with choosing the right ones. Current options are:

MS1
MS2
Grado 325
HD 650
DT 880
AKG 701

The main problem is that I can't compare them.
At the moment I have MS1 at home and they are pretty ok for me. I'm just worried about the comfort. Maybe some mods can save the day?
smily_headphones1.gif

I'd like to know if MS2 are really better as the price is 3x higher
325 sounds great with some live/jazz stuff but electronic music sounds like ooze.
I find 650 extremly comfortable but I am already tired of Senns. Want to get something more interesting...
880 ar also Ok, but I have listened some George Michael stuff with them so Im curious about other kinds of music in these cans
701. Well I was never into AKG (they always feel somehow uncomfortable) but these cans have really sweet, silky & sexy sound (although the equipment they were connected to was horroble so I still can't understand if I really heard what these cans are capable of).

At the moment I am considering to buy MS2 but I'm a bit afraid of blin buying...
Money is not a big issue. I just want to get the best value for the price.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:29 PM Post #2 of 11
If value is your concern, I think you should post the price at which you can buy the 'phones you listed as well.

I've never heard it but the MS1 is probably the one offering the best price/performance ratio (diminishing returns and all).

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:45 PM Post #3 of 11
Id pick the HD650 out of those headphoens without hesitating. But you say you want somethign different. Grab yourself some vintage Stax, a set of lambdas with an amp shouldnt set you back any more than new HD650 if you snoop around on ebay and you say moneys not much of an issue.

Dec 9, 2006 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by HFat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If value is your concern, I think you should post the price at which you can buy the 'phones you listed as well.

The prices are
MS1 - 135$
MS2 - ~320$ (i would grab them off the alessandro site)
325 - 365$
650 - ~430$
880 - 335$
701 - 445$

Dec 9, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #5 of 11
On the question about whether the MS2i is worth its' cost? I think so.

The difference in sound quality is pretty substantial if both MS-1 and MS2i are used with an amp. They both have the same over-all sound, but the MS2i goes a bit deeper, has a bit more soundstage, and has better retreival of detail and greater reach at the high end as well. It also seems to have more presence in its' presentation. So the sound alone is worth a good part of the cost.

The other thing that helps justify the price is in the materials. The aluminum housings; while being quite a bit heavier, are very well made and I think, quite attractive. The extra weight is supported by a very nice and somewhat more comfortable headband!

So, in my opinion, Yeah! I think they're worth the cost!

Dec 9, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by vocode /img/forum/go_quote.gif
325 - 365$
650 - ~430$
880 - 335$
701 - 445$

These prices aren't reasonable. You should buy from abroad. Duggeh's advice on buying used is a good one too. Otherwise, Alessandros probably offer the best value.

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #7 of 11
Ok, but is Alessandro suitable for my music - idm, electronic, ambient, dub techno? I'm not really into bass - bright sound with tight bass is what im looking for.

Dec 9, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 11
Don't spend so much on those. Better prices are available. Look around and you should do much better than those. The US eBay has better prices, and I think you'd get a seller to ship to you.

As for which to choose, I started with the HD-650. Still love it, as well. It compares well to the rest and you can use it with a variety of music.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:02 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Ok, but is Alessandro suitable for my music - idm, electronic, ambient, dub techno? I'm not really into bass - bright sound with tight bass is what im looking for.

What you want is a DT880... if you can get it cheaper. I think most people would agree that HD650s do not have a bright sound or a tight bass.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #10 of 11
My pick from your list: DT880

Very detailed with high mid and treble energy, fast (for those weird frequencies) with very tight, but not overwhelming bass.

Dec 9, 2006 at 8:17 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Well; if you are familiar with MS-1, then you have a good idea of what MS2i sounds like. The MS2i is just a tad brighter than MS-1 since the highs are just a bit more extended than MS-1. The bass is a bit lower, and just as tight, but even better controlled than MS-1. So the sound is pretty much the same, just more of it!

If the MS-1 is already a bit uncomfortable, then there's a good chance the MS2i may be even less comfortable due to its' extra 100gm of mass. The nicer headband helps, but the weight is still there and lots off folks find it to be the deciding factor in keeping MS2i or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back