Choosing my first headphone amp and dac for use with my computer and HD580 headphones. Need help to decide.
Nov 30, 2011 at 4:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DorianLS

New Head-Fier
I've been reading posts and reviews on Head-fi for the past few weeks, trying to decide what the best amp/dac combination would be to get better sound from my computer and headphones.  (I have Sennheiser HD580s which I've generally been satisfied with).  From my reading I've concluded that one of my top choices would be the Yulong D100.  Currently one seller from ebay is offering a 20% discount on the unit and I am tempted to buy it.  The sale ends on Friday.  Total cost including shipping for this unit would be just a little over $400.00 which is about what I am comfortable paying.   Another tempting choice has been the Matrix Cube DAC coupled with the Matrix M-Stage amplifier.  I've also considered the Audinst MX-1, which is about half the cost of the equipment above, but my impression is that I would get noticably improved sound from the Yulong or Matrix equipment, which I would be willing to pay for.  I would be interested in any comments or suggestions.   I also have Creative powered speakers and would want my setup to be able to pass a signal to the speakers either with headphone on or off.  I assume most equipment will function this way but don't want to find myself stuck with a piece of equipment which won't do this.   Thanks for any help or suggestions.   Dorian

Users who are viewing this thread

Back