Choosing between philips fidelio x1 and Q701 headpohones
Apr 20, 2014 at 12:40 PM Post #31 of 51
I cant wait to see your comparison between the Samson sr850 and the X1. Although I've thought about getting the Q701, I've held off because the X1 is filling my audio needs and seems to get better with every playlist I listen to. The bass on the X1 is just right with enough room to let instruments and other sounds stand out in a way that my other headphones can't quite capture.

Apr 20, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #32 of 51
From what I know about the sr850 the mids are forward and have very good separation but lack detail. They have amazing clarity but the treble makes it sound harsh and uncontrolled at times. The bass is very good but doesn't really stand out with all the other instruments. They are easy to equalize and rarely do I hear distortion. And with poorly recorded tracks they will hurt your ears REALLY fast. They also enjoy power from my fiio e18 especially when I turn on high gain the detail and imaging gets better with more present bass.

Apr 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM Post #33 of 51
OK so I have decided  to buy both the x1 and q701 headphones. But before I do that I need the experienced audiophiles on this site to do some research on the fiio e18 to see if it will drive them to reasonably loud volume levels. And when I say loud I mean loud enough to give you hearing loss after a couple of hours loud. So listen carefully please my Samson sr850s are falling apart and I need some new cans to enjoy my music. Of course I will buy the q701s first and the x1 later on in the year so please let me know if my tablet and a fiio e18 with 320 kbps music will be enough to satisfy the q701s, also I plan to eq the bass for a better experience. I might also buy a desktop computer and use fl studio for dubstep production in the future.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #34 of 51
But before I do that I need the experienced audiophiles on this site to do some research on the fiio e18 to see if it will drive them to reasonably loud volume levels. And when I say loud I mean loud enough to give you hearing loss after a couple of hours loud.

LOL

Or you could take the next step that many of us do. Order the Q701s from Amazon. RMA is easy if sold by Amazon or Fulfilled by Amazon (not 3rd party sellers). Return shipping is usually not too much. Small price to pay for an extended demo session.

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:11 PM Post #36 of 51
Apr 27, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #39 of 51
Lol 400 for an old headphone that's made mostly of plastic when the 300 x1 are all metal and leather?

I wouldn't assume that metal is better. Some polymers are pretty strong--and lighter than much metal (a plus for being on one's head).

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:26 PM Post #40 of 51
Yes but if your me and go to school with a rich kid that thinks beats by dre pros, you know the ones made out of metal. Are better because they are made of metal I think at least a little metal material would make them more appropriate not that it matters because sound quality is what matters :) 

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:50 PM Post #41 of 51
I have to constantly tell this guy at my school which could afford 10 sennheiser h800s and the amps that beats are fake HiFi marketing headphones yet he says they are good because they are made out of metal.SO basically any headphone made with plastic in his opinion is bad hahhaaha. But I still think the q701 could use less plastic if they are to last?

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #42 of 51
I have to constantly tell this guy at my school which could afford 10 sennheiser h800s and the amps that beats are fake HiFi marketing headphones yet he says they are good because they are made out of metal.SO basically any headphone made with plastic in his opinion is bad hahhaaha. But I still think the q701 could use less plastic if they are to last?

I haven't heard a lot of problems with build quality with the Q701s. But then again, they are meant for studio use or at home use, not for being hauled back and forth to school. Nor for people who abuse their headphones, if that includes you :wink:

Apr 27, 2014 at 1:08 PM Post #43 of 51
Nah I take extreme care of my electronics. Almost to the point of it being unhealthy so I think its OK. I even clean them with a dust tool and alcohol to make them stay shiny. And I mean the type of alcohol you get from the convenience store

May 20, 2014 at 12:12 AM Post #44 of 51
So I recently visited the B&H store and they had almost every headphone on head fi (wow) I got to try the sennheiser hd800 and akg k701and fostex headphones with a few others. Honestly the difference between my old Samson sr850 and all those is not night and day but perhaps just a different sound characteristic. The sennheiser hd800 have a extremely large soundstage which didn't surprise me at all but it was extremely comfortable to wear on my head.  The 701s had a very warm and front row type of sound that I liked alot. None of the headphones I tried impressed me as I thought they would but rather gave me a new perspective on how to enjoy my music. I think I want a warm headphone with large soundstage and very punchy bass with good treble extension. I also bought the beyerdynamic dt770 pro and for some reason my tablet can drive them to a very good volume level being 250 ohm I cannot believe it. My fiio e18 had a hard time driving them but drove them reasonably well. So I think the Philips fidelio x1 is my best bet and will be my final pair :) flat headphones are boring as hell to me and have no fun in the sound so I will be keeping a distance from very flat like balanced headphones and maybe go for a more warm sounding headphone with a little fun in the mix.

May 20, 2014 at 2:06 AM Post #45 of 51
  So I recently visited the B&H store and they had almost every headphone on head fi (wow) I got to try the sennheiser hd800 and akg k701and fostex headphones with a few others. Honestly the difference between my old Samson sr850 and all those is not night and day but perhaps just a different sound characteristic. The sennheiser hd800 have a extremely large soundstage which didn't surprise me at all but it was extremely comfortable to wear on my head.  The 701s had a very warm and front row type of sound that I liked alot. None of the headphones I tried impressed me as I thought they would but rather gave me a new perspective on how to enjoy my music. I think I want a warm headphone with large soundstage and very punchy bass with good treble extension. I also bought the beyerdynamic dt770 pro and for some reason my tablet can drive them to a very good volume level being 250 ohm I cannot believe it. My fiio e18 had a hard time driving them but drove them reasonably well. So I think the Philips fidelio x1 is my best bet and will be my final pair :) flat headphones are boring as hell to me and have no fun in the sound so I will be keeping a distance from very flat like balanced headphones and maybe go for a more warm sounding headphone with a little fun in the mix.

... I want to go to B&H.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back