Choosing between philips fidelio x1 and Q701 headpohones
Apr 19, 2014 at 9:46 PM Post #16 of 51
I own the X1 , HD700, Grado SR 325i, and denon D2000. The X1s have good detail and are really an enjoyable listen. I prefer my HD700 or 325i for metal but have found that if you tone down the low end on the X1 they work reasonably well. I don't think the Akg will necessarily be better , just different.

I just received my HD700 the other day and really dig them. They aren't miles better than the X1s but I personally enjoy the sound signature a bit more.

Apr 19, 2014 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 51
I'm really exited about getting the x1 people that buy high end headphones even enjoy them so the experience should be fun when I get them. And I don't listen to metal that much so it shouldn't be a problem for me.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM Post #21 of 51
BTW, I trid the X1 with my new amp and it really tightened up the bass.  It's still warmer and not as detailed as the Q, but it sounds significantly better IMO.  If you're worried about the X1 being too revealing of bad sources, it's not as bad as the Q.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:23 PM Post #24 of 51
Speaking as someone who owns the Philips Fidelio X1s and has tried the AKG Q701s, I think you would prefer the Fidelio X1s for their comfort. I've heard people getting used to the bumps on the headband, but I couldn't get on with it. AKG Q701s require amping depending on the source (probably not from a PC) but sound really neutral - but not sterile or boring. The Fidelio X1s are, on the other hand, much more fun for listening to music and have nice, punchy bass. The Fidelios are so comfortable, that I often forget I'm even wearing them, compared to the Q701s which were always present. I think the Fidelio X1s are better, personally, but it depends on whether or not you have the means to drive the Q701s, can deal with the headband, and prefer a neutral sounding signature. I feel compelled to say that they have a little bit wider of a soundstage, but not by much. Both are fantastic options, but I'm the proud owner of the X1s, not the Q701s.

Apr 19, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #25 of 51
I'm not worried about amps. My fiio e18 should have more than enough power and my tablet, well as I've read has a mobile Wolfson DAC chip in it. Wolfson WM8903 Ultra low power CODEC for portable audio applications (WM8903L 22AMBUC) so my source is good. So it all comes down to the headphones and their performance.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #26 of 51
  I'm not worried about amps. My fiio e18 should have more than enough power and my tablet, well as I've read has a mobile Wolfson DAC chip in it. Wolfson WM8903 Ultra low power CODEC for portable audio applications (WM8903L 22AMBUC) so my source is good. So it all comes down to the headphones and their performance.

In that case, it just depends if you want a punchy, bassy sound signature that performs well across the spectrum (although the treble is somewhat edgy, making it sound artificial at times if you're very particular about treble) or if you want the more neutral (not "analytical") sound from the AKGs. Personally, I like the fun factor of the Fidelio X1s and find them vastly more comfortable. Some people say to replace the cable with something more sensitive like a V-Moda cable but I don't have problems with it.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:29 AM Post #27 of 51
I have two auvio cables from radio shack waiting to be used. I prefer treble that's balanced and natural but its not a problem :). These will be my first pair of 300$ dollar headphones so I'm excited.

Apr 20, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #28 of 51
  I have two auvio cables from radio shack waiting to be used. I prefer treble that's balanced and natural but its not a problem :). These will be my first pair of 300$ dollar headphones so I'm excited.

Honestly, they're both great headphones.  You'll be perfectly happy with either, I suspect.  I don't super agree with Dragon's opinions on the X1 vs Q701, but that's why they call them opinions.  :-D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back