Choosing between IEMs/Earbuds under 50 USD
Nov 14, 2016 at 9:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

GhzGuy

New Head-Fier
Hello there!
Sorry if my first post isn't exatly up to par with what you'll need to help me, so if you have further questions, I'd be happy to answer. Anyway, my JLab Bass earbuds have finally kicked the bucket (Wire frayed next to the Y split) and I was looking for some new IEMs or earbuds that would suite me. Currently I'm using a set from MEEAudio, but they aren't great (Got them for ten dollars on Massdrop, so I can't complain much). Recently I got a set of AKG M220's, which I thought would be a perfect set of headphones. Turns out I was wrong, since a flat soundcurve seems boring to listen to (They're probably the best headphones I've ever owned though). I was eyeing the HiFiMan RE-00's but I've heard mixed things about them. (Not great for the price, they break easily, etc). I was also looking at the Zero Audio Carbo Basso, however I've also heard some negative things regarding their durability, just not as bad as the RE-00's. I found the RHA S500's to be interesting due to their V-shaped sound signature (Something I'm familiar with due to my 668B's) I almost forgot to mention that I tend to listen to electronic music. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks for your time and help!

Nov 15, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #4 of 11
Omg are you me, cuz Im honestly going through the exact same thing XD MEE and RE-00 iems and all. I honestly just need something durable, my last pair of iems (monoprice 8320 cuz im cheap as all hell) died cuz I constantly got the wires tangled and I banged them around everywhere. My sister talked me into getting the MEE iems of massdrop and they're not bad, they're just very meh, especially since I'd really be willing to spend a bit more for something nicer. I'm lost as all hell tho since I'm still very high key a newbie and I'm generally more of a headphone person, but I need something more convenient I can just stick into my bag and use with my phone.

I've heard some good things about VSonics but otherwise recs seem to come from all over they place and I'm just completely lost ;~;

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 11
Okay, DO NOT buy the RHA s500s if you are looking for that type of sound, they are horrible. They are soooo hot up top it hurst. Too much treble, screechy high notes. Bass is thumpy but hit and miss.

there are lots of excellent budget sets that you can buy that fit what you are looking for, i actually just answered a very similar post.

Knoweldge Zenith or KZ earphones are great value sets, that offer great sound.

KZ ATE - Great for electronic music. Big juicy bass, very musical. Huge 3D like soundstage. lots of fun. Smooth listen but still detailed. Vocals soung great.

KZ ATR - More balanced still with great bass, not as big as the ATE. nice smooth but again detailed sound, wide soundstage. Great for lots of music genres. Slightly V shaped

VJJB KS - a cheap set that has way above average sound. Nice wooden set, lovely bass and very decent high ranges for something so cheap.

Xaimoi Hybrids - wonderful sound, details a plenty, smooth, big bass when needed never dominates. The fit can be a bit hit or kiss for some people though.

Fiio EX 1 - Formerly Dunu Titan 1 - big soundstage, BIG! Great amount of dtail, very c shaped, bass doesn't go as low, but it performs really well and is present. Just doesn't thump like the others.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:07 PM Post #6 of 11
One of my favourite sets is the HiSoundAudio Flamencos which may be a bit hard to find. Just a great all round pair, lots of fun , lots of detail. Great fit, tiny little things, great isolation, wooden. They are my current favourites, and I've had pairs that cost A LOT more. For a smooth sound, they have great treble, nice sparkly. Bass is great, great resolution.

Nov 15, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #7 of 11
  Okay, DO NOT buy the RHA s500s if you are looking for that type of sound, they are horrible. They are soooo hot up top it hurst. Too much treble, screechy high notes. Bass is thumpy but hit and miss.

there are lots of excellent budget sets that you can buy that fit what you are looking for, i actually just answered a very similar post.

KZ ATE - Great for electronic music. Big juicy bass, very musical. Huge 3D like soundstage. lots of fun. Smooth listen but still detailed. Vocals soung great.

KZ ATR - More balanced still with great bass, not as big as the ATE. nice smooth but again detailed sound, wide soundstage. Great for lots of music genres. Slightly V shaped

VJJB KS - a cheap set that has way above average sound. Nice wooden set, lovely bass and very decent high ranges for something so cheap.

Xaimoi Hybrids - wonderful sound, details a plenty, smooth, big bass when needed never dominates. The fit can be a bit hit or kiss for some people though.

Fiio EX 1 - Formerly Dunu Titan 1 - big soundstage, BIG! Great amount of dtail, very c shaped, bass doesn't go as low, but it performs really well and is present. Just doesn't thump like the others.

Good to know I should avoid the RHA's.
Both the KZ ATE and ATR look awesome. I might get them from Amazon or Banggood when I get the chance. (Only problem is shipping time, but I'll live)

Nov 15, 2016 at 9:09 PM Post #8 of 11
The RE00s are utterly fantastic earphones, but from what you are describing, you will not like them. If you are willing to spend a little more than $50, the Trinity Vyrus may be the earphone for you. The Vyrus is tunable, so you can alter the response curve of the IEM to taste. Check out the Vyrus threads and reviews for a better description.

Nov 16, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #9 of 11
The RE00s are utterly fantastic earphones, but from what you are describing, you will not like them. If you are willing to spend a little more than $50, the Trinity Vyrus may be the earphone for you. The Vyrus is tunable, so you can alter the response curve of the IEM to taste. Check out the Vyrus threads and reviews for a better description.

The Vyrus is certainly a very interesting set of IEMs. I'll keep those on my mind when I have the money to spend.

Nov 16, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #10 of 11

Sorry to bother you with a follow up question, but what do you think or any of these compared to, say, the Zero Audio Tenores and Bassos?
Thanks!

Nov 19, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 11
I had narrowed it down to the Soundmagic E10 or the Shoze Zero. As this was a Christmas gift for my son, from his aunt, she wanted to stay at the $50 price point. So by default the Soundmagic E10 was selected. Son is 10, so I think he will enjoy them depending on the fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back