Choosing between HE-400 and AD1000X
Aug 31, 2015 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Newbonly

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new to the place and was looking to upgrade from my a900x to something open. I asked specifically for a comparison between the HE-400's and the AD1000x's because for some reason Head Fi never ever talks about higher model Audio Technica headphones. I have searched the forums for a direct comparison but haven't found one. That said I would be just fine with an entirely different set.  My budget is 50-350 dollars. Open or closed is fine, and I will be running with a schiit stack, ef2a, iFi Nano , haven't decided yet. (recommendations there A few of the things I like are:

A wide open soundstage, with good imaging to match. The most accurate way I can describe my preferred sound stage is "3 dimensional" but intimate at the same time. The idea is that I want a soundstage that is very immersive, and that doesn't detach me from the music while still being adequately 

Detailed: From what I've heard, muddy mids on headphones is very fatiguing to listen to, and I like critically listening to 

The one thing I probably want most out of a headphone is immersion--I want to be lost in the music when I put it on. A word I've seen to use I want a sound without ringing mids that add congestion or stuffiness to the tone, because as I said before it makes the listening experience very fatiguing for me and makes the window into the music very muddy and unengaging. I don't neccessarily want an exclusively v shaped sound signature. So I guess I just like anything with an engaging, immersive sound signature. Preferably with some "airiness". Any phones that can make a song like "The Plan That Cannot Fail" by London Elektricity (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krcJStON5mo)  and "In My Mind" by Ivan Gough (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VRcrZ8CC2Vo) sound like an immersive experience. 

Music preferences: Jazz(Snarky Puppy, Fourplay, 40-60's big band), Mid-brass-heavy Classical (Mahler, Strauss) , Electronica (Trance, Ambient, DnB such as Pendulum, Netsky, Sub Focus and London Elektricity),  Chvrches, Sia, Gorillaz, From Head Unworthy, Muse. A widish range.
TL;DR Immersive and engaging headphones, open or closed, good with vocals and with a wide soundstage from 50-350 bucks. Amped. 

Aug 31, 2015 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 8
The Audio Technica ATH-AD1000X are low impedance (40-Ohm) so will still sound fairly good even without a dedicated headphone amplifier.
I would also guess they are a decent bit lighter then the HE-400.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:15 AM Post #3 of 8
Immersion is highly subjective and often quite personal.  For me neither of these cans provides it.  The mileage of others may differ.

The higher AT models are often difficult to get in the USA--or at least from a domestic vendor.  I recall having to buy from Japan.

The AD 1000X will provide a large sound stage.  The planar HE 400 will not.  Imaging is decent in both, but you are limited by your budget.

The Achilles heal of the HE 400 is its mids.  They are just a bit off and not quite natural sounding.

Sep 1, 2015 at 12:42 AM Post #4 of 8
Immersion is highly subjective and often quite personal. 

+100

This is really important to understand. If you hang out on this forum long enough, you'll learn how individual specific this is.

Anyway you can demo headphones? For instance, Best Buy Magnolia Stores (their flagships) carry higher models. Have you looked to see if there is a Head-Fi meet up in your area?

Sep 1, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #5 of 8
The two headphones sound completely different from one another.  You did say not V-shaped and airy, two things that apply to the AD1000X going by reviews.  The HE-400 on the other hand is known to have a V-shaped sound signature.

Some other headphones to consider are the Audio Technica ATH-R70X and AKG K712 Pro or K7xx (they use the same drivers I believe).

Sep 1, 2015 at 7:09 PM Post #6 of 8
Immersion is highly subjective and often quite personal.  For me neither of these cans provides it.  The mileage of others may differ.

The higher AT models are often difficult to get in the USA--or at least from a domestic vendor.  I recall having to buy from Japan.

The AD 1000X will provide a large sound stage.  The planar HE 400 will not.  Imaging is decent in both, but you are limited by your budget.

The Achilles heal of the HE 400 is its mids.  They are just a bit off and not quite natural sounding.
what would you recommend?

Sep 2, 2015 at 2:09 AM Post #7 of 8

what would you recommend?

I don't know of a can that ticks all your boxes--especially one within your budget.

Even using my personal view of "immersion" I can think of very few cans in your price range that would qualify.  The SR 325e gets there for rock and electric blues.  However, they are not what you say that you are looking for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back