Choosing an IEM: Xcape, RE0, Brainwavz M3
Nov 24, 2010 at 5:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

utkusu

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

My RE2's died after one year of abuse and I want to get new IEM's right away. I would be happy with new RE2's but I'd like to try something better for a change. I have a small budget and I don't want to take too much of a risk of returning any product, because it increases the cost substantially with restocking fees and shipping.  After hours of reading on Head-fi, I narrowed my choices to a smaller subset and I need your advice. Especially given that I am quite incapable of describing what I want. First, let me give you an idea about my preferences.

1) Music: Rock (Classic (Zeppelin, Bowie, Deep Purple, Sabbath), post-rock , alternative rock (decemberists, the gathering)), Metal (Opeth, Mastodon, Agalloch, Iron Maiden or punk metal Protest the Hero, Rise Against), classic (occasional), jazz (female singers)
2) Past experience: 
  1. I liked the RE2's. I heard RE0's have better detail and clarity, but I did not listen to anything more clear. I felt they are not doing a better job with bass in jazz songs than to my fiance's Phillips Hp910, but they are still much better than Ep630's who are so muddy and bloated that even I can express it. Slightly better bass is preferable for me, but I don't want bass monsters, my ears are sensitive: EP630's boom literally hurts my ears. 
  2. Philips Hp910 are better in the bass department, I hear deeper notes but I find them too warm (I think this is what you guys would call it): the vocals and guitars are not presented as well as RE2's and they have a hint of bass warmth on them, which I don't like.
  3. I have also AD700, which is wonderful for gaming and acoustic and classical music, but there is something wrong with them when it comes to rock and especially metal songs. Any Mastodon song (fast, loud and complicated) becomes a mess. RE2's are not that great Mastodon. HP910's are better but with them bass becomes overwhelming, maybe not veiling the melodies of the guitar but become more important than them, which is something I don't want. 

To sum up: I (think I) want an IEM with a better bass than RE2's, but still with clear mids and only a limited amount of warmth.[edit] I will also need it to sound good with complicated, fast and loud music That is why I chose the following candidates in order of prior preferences:

a) SunRise Xcapes:
  1. How much warmth?: I am worried these won't be clear as RE-which I am used to. but I want to introduce myself to a limited amount of warmth and fun. But are these have too much of warmth to the extent it jeopardizes clarity? (like Hp910s)
  2. Durability and Reputability : Budgen Audio seems to be a legit business and in Canada, but what happens if xcapes go bad quickly. Will I have to send them back to Vietnam, or British Columbia. I have asked this question to Budgen a couple of times but did not get a reply in 3 days, which makes me nervous about seller. After all, the only reason RE0s are ranked second in my list is that I would have to send them back to China if there is a problem with it, but at least I know head-direct is a pretty decent seller
b)  RE0's: I already like RE2 and it is just natural to get RE0's but doing business with a company that far away puts me off. I am already stretching my budget, I don't want to deal with international shipping/phone calls if anything goes wrong. (Note: Unlike US, Canadian customers are shipped from China). Also I'd like to try some other sound signature described as "fun".

c) Brainwavz M3: Slightly more expensive and has a weird shape but the existing limited number of reviews are really good. However, I was not able to understand how these stand against RE0's and Xcapes. If SQ's are similar, I'd rather go with Xcapes or RE0's.

I know this is too long and a bit of a mess, but I'd appreciate any input about my Xcape vs RE0 vs M3 trilemma, especially considering my preferences (which I can't describe well, I know)

cheers,

Nov 24, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 6
The Xcape is a pretty good earphone and should suit what you want. Budgen Audio is a good place to buy it from and the owner is also a head-fi member. I'm sure if issues arise with them you will have no issue replacing them. The Xcape has good clarity and has a hair more bass than my RE-Zero which has similar bass levels as the RE0.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #3 of 6
I would go with RE-ZERO. Easier to drive than RE0, looks nicer and will be a huge upgrade from RE2 in almost every way. The bass quantity will be similar, but RE-ZERO will hit deeper and with more authority.

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #4 of 6
Thanks your quick reply rawster. I kinda set my heart on xcape's but I want to make sure my investment is safe. I really don't have the finances of replacing these IEMs I will buy, at least for another year, so a hassle-free and costless warranty/replacement policy and overall durability is much more important to me compared to minor differences in SQ. These three all seem to be close in terms of SQ (if anybody is going to object this, please do now) and not too far apart in terms of sound signature. Then I will get whichever is more durable and better supported. I will wait to see if  I can contact Bugden directly. I am sure they are a decent firm, but responsiveness is also a part of the deal. I know 80 bucks is not much as far as headphones go, but it is significant for me. (besides most of my friends will think that I am crazy when they will learn that I paid close to $100 for some "crappy" headphones from Vietnam/ China :)

I still welcome any feedback on the comparison and resellers.

cheers,

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I would go with RE-ZERO. Easier to drive than RE0, looks nicer and will be a huge upgrade from RE2 in almost every way. The bass quantity will be similar, but RE-ZERO will hit deeper and with more authority.

Believe it or not that extra 20 bucks is a turn-off. :) It also suffers from the same "warranty from China" problem as RE0s.  But I will add it my shortlist, thanks..

Nov 25, 2010 at 3:40 PM Post #6 of 6
I managed to get a hold of Bugden Audio and ordered a Sw-Xcape!  I was impatient, hopefully I won't be disappointed. Thanks a lot for your input!

[edit] I should also add that the person I talked (I am suspecting he was the "bugden audio") was really nice and helpful, and shipped xcapes half an hour after I ordered them. Talk about prompt shipment! So I take back what I said about Bugden Audio :) [edit]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back