Choosing an Audio Player
Mar 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Vlad2

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I am looking for an audio player which can do the following:

1) Display the volume level in figures.

2) Regulate the volume with the up and down arrows on the keyboard.

Last edited:
Mar 15, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 8
Can we assume your looking for a PC software program that is an audio player?

I like using Foobar2000.

Mar 17, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #4 of 8
in the most basic appearance in Foobar(because there are a lot of themes one can install), you have the volume displayed in dB at the bottom right. if it's hidden, right click on the bottom and select the self explanatory "show volume".
you can set the volume increment (file - preferences - advanced - playback - volume step)

as for "up" and "down" arrows to change it, foobar allows you to set almost all actions with your own shortcuts(file - preferences - keyboard shortcut). you select if you want the shortcut to be active only when the foobar window is highlighted, or check "global hotkey" for use of the shortcut anytime.
if you go for that, I suggest not to set something as simple as "up" and "down" keys for your shortcut unless you're very sure you're never going to need those keys anywhere else while foobar is running:sweat_smile:. I personally go with CTRL+up and CTRL+down, that way it's a little less likely to be annoying in games or whatever(still is from time to time).

I can't suggest other players because I haven't used anything else in years(creature of habit).

Mar 18, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #5 of 8
Thank you for the information. I was able to configure the program. Can you also explain how to make the program open another window when opening another file without closing the file currently played?

Is there a way to change the icon of the program, affecting the appearance of all the files for which Foobar has been set as the default player?

Mar 18, 2018 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 8
not sure I get your first question. do you wish to have the file queued in a playlist when you double click on it in windows instead of having it start playing right away?
if so you go to (file - preferences - playback - shell integration) and in that window you check "set "enqueue" as the default action".

for file icons in windows, if you have an icon type you wish to use instead, you go to (file - preferences - display - default user interface) and there you can check "use a custom icon file" and browse to go get that icon.

we're dangerously getting to the limits of what I know, Foobar is very customizable player but that also makes it a little complicated at times. you have this topic for all your questions https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ad-got-problems-or-questions-ask-here.624628/ where hopefully it will be seen by more people so you can get better answers. or if you go really deep into foobar functions, you can always reach out to the developers on HydrogenAudio. if they don't know, nobody will ^_^.

Mar 19, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #7 of 8
I have chosen a custom icon by going to File> Preferences> Display> Default User Interface> Use a custom icon, but the audio files for which the program is set as default still display the default icon.

The first question is about playing more than one file at the same time. While one file is being played, I need the program to start another instance of the program when I open another file.

Mar 19, 2018 at 3:01 PM Post #8 of 8
arf. well we did reach the limit of what I know now.
I guess you can do something for the icons directly in windows, but I don't really know how. I'm really not a power user.
and I'm not aware that foobar can play several songs at once. maybe there is a way but I don't know of it. you can have several installs of foobar that can work independently, but that will not lead to something simple where you click 3 songs and get 3 songs playing at the same time. for that VLC might be more what you want. didn't use it for a while but I remember that you could set it to launch a new instance each time you double clicked an associated file.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back