Choosing an Amp for improved sound
Sep 5, 2004 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

James3Toe

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have been a bit of a lurker on this site for a while, but have taken a lot of what has been said as good advice. (I ended up getting a nice Meta42 for my IPOD as a first introduction to Headphone amps, but am in the market for an SR-71 ... any sellers out there?).

However, I would like some advice on improving the sound for my home system.

I have a Sound Odyssey Level-1 Shanling CD-T100, running with WE396A tubes and I have been pleased with the sound from the headphone output. However, I was wondering what I would need to move up to the next level in sound quality. I am currently using HD650's and really like these headphones.

Would a mid price amp be sufficient (MPX3 ?)to see a great improvement or do I need to spend a little more?
I have taken a liking to the tube sound, but I am not adverse to solid state.

thanks in advance

Sep 5, 2004 at 7:25 PM Post #2 of 13
A higher-end Singelpower amp like the Supra is quite nice although I haven't heard it extensively. It's going to have a bit less bass than the MPX3 but the sound will be very transparent. The MPX3 is certainly a great amp for the money and, with the upgrade options, Mikhial has replied that it can get pretty close to the Supra.

You do need a nice amp to show off what the 650s can do as you have a very nice source. Either is a substantial upgrade from your meta42 (in fact, there are MANY amps out there that would be a nice upgrade from it
biggrin.gif
).

As for the tube vs. the solid state sound, that is something on which you may have to just roll the dice. My experience is that the solid state sound is going to be leaner with a slightly narrower soundstage. However, that may be a good balance with the tube output of your player. I was worried about too much tube when I auditioned the Jolida cd player with my MPX3 so I ended up with another source.

One nice feature of the T100 is the choice of opamp and tube output so, if you do try a tube amp, you can see if you prefer the opamp>tube or tube>tube sound.

There are some very good solid state choices out there too! I'm curious about the sound of the new Headroom amps. You've also got the Prehead, Emmeline and I've seen a modified Sugden on sale around here too. Good luck.

Sep 5, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 13
I'm also a T100 and T200 user and have found the headphone out section remarkably good on the Shanling players, particularly when tube rolled. I'm assuming that you're using the WE396A's in the right tube positions (headphone out) as well as in the left tube positions for 2 channel audio. I've found that the cryo treated Nothern Electric 396A's as well as the Bendix Platimum 6385 tubes provide even more refinement than do the WE396A's. Unfortunately, these tubes are rare and very expensive (about $200 per pair, more or less). You may be better served to use any "tube rolling" funds toward the purchase of a good tube-based headamp such as a PPX3 or MPX3. I can do some comparisons of the tube out on the T100 using my Singlepower SDS versus the headphone out, using tubes of equal quality in all positons, and then report back.

Sep 5, 2004 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 13
I had a modified cd-25 with a tube output stage and have an Eddie Current HD300 tube amp. I also have the HD-650 and have enjoyed the combination. I sold the cdp and have been using same amp and phones with an airport express/lossless files. I really enjoy the HD300/HD-650 combo. I have not spent much time with the Singlepower amps, other than at a meet and they are also a great amps. There is an sr-71 for sale at the moment.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 13
Thnaks for all the info. I had considered looking for those rarer tubes, but had come to the same conclusion about spending the funds on a better amp.
In fact I have just emailed Mikhail about an MPX3 with options....it sound like the perfect amp for me, and even if not, it looks like I wouldn't have much trouble having it upgraded even further .
eggosmile.gif

Wmcmanus...I would still be very interested in your observations regarding the headphone output and tube out/SDS comparison.

Sep 7, 2004 at 5:57 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by James3Toe
Thnaks for all the info. I had considered looking for those rarer tubes, but had come to the same conclusion about spending the funds on a better amp.
In fact I have just emailed Mikhail about an MPX3 with options....it sound like the perfect amp for me, and even if not, it looks like I wouldn't have much trouble having it upgraded even further .
eggosmile.gif

Wmcmanus...I would still be very interested in your observations regarding the headphone output and tube out/SDS comparison.

You will love MPX3. It is so detailed, yet tuby! HD650 just came alive with MPX3. BTW, which tubes are you going with? 6cg7 or 6sn7?

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:04 PM Post #7 of 13
I didn't relaise that there was an option regarding the type of tube with the MPX3. I just assumed that it would be 6sn7 tubes. oh well, perhaps another email to Mikhail and another decision
tongue.gif
I'm glad that he really is a great guy to deal with.

Are there any preferences regarding the tube selection for the MPX3. I like an airy open and wide soundstage, with plenty of detail, but nothing too "in your face".

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

I didn't relaise that there was an option regarding the type of tube with the MPX3. I just assumed that it would be 6sn7 tubes. oh well, perhaps another email to Mikhail and another decision
tongue.gif

Are there any preferences regarding the tube selection for the MPX3. I like an airy open and wide soundstage, with plenty of detail, but nothing too "in your face".

It depends on what your wallet and your 6sn7 reserve are like
wink.gif
I prefer 6sn7 better for being more open, airy and dynamic where as 6cg7 was a bit more tuby and more liquid-like midrange in presentation. Overall both options are fairly tuby, but 6cg7 has more liquid midrange and 6sn7 has more air (more dynamic sounding at top and bottom ends). If you are vocal oriented, 6cg7 sounds like a good option (plus save $$$ on tubes), but if you are classical music oriented (say Bach), 6sn7 may be considered.

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by go_vtec
It depends on what your wallet and your 6sn7 reserve are like
wink.gif
I prefer 6sn7 better for being more open, airy and dynamic where as 6cg7 was a bit more tuby and more liquid-like midrange in presentation. Overall both options are fairly tuby, but 6cg7 has more liquid midrange and 6sn7 has more air (more dynamic sounding at top and bottom ends). If you are vocal oriented, 6cg7 sounds like a good option (plus save $$$ on tubes), but if you are classical music oriented (say Bach), 6sn7 may be considered.

Is it always this difficult when getting started with tube equipment
confused.gif

My brain is exploding with all the choices !! Is it a case of just hearing lots of gear and finding what sounds good or are there some "rules" that should be followed? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #10 of 13
I absolutly, 100%, loved my Shanling with the same tubes as you and the Level one mods from underwoodhifi pared with my Singlepower amp and HD650/600! I think any of them would be a great match, but if your afraid of to many tubes in the chain I would go with one of the MPX3 amps over the PPX3. You can always PM bedlam from this site. He heard the system and liked it also. He bought the Shanling and then picked up a Supra to go with it.

Sep 7, 2004 at 6:54 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Is it always this difficult when getting started with tube equipment
confused.gif

My brain is exploding with all the choices !! Is it a case of just hearing lots of gear and finding what sounds good or are there some "rules" that should be followed? Sorry for all the newbie questions.

I think the best two options you have is 1) go to one of the meet to hear them for yourself or 2) talk to the man himself, Mikhail, and leave it up to him. If you honestly tell them, your budget and expectation, Mikhail will come up with something that suit you the best.

Fortunately, I live near by Singlepower mafia head quarter (inside joke
wink.gif
) and I was able to hear many Singlepower amps. I'm currently saving up for Supra or 6sn7 MPX3 based on my preference. If you haven't done it already, read SACD lover's review on Singlepower amps.

Sep 7, 2004 at 8:54 PM Post #12 of 13
My vote for your consideration is the 6sn7 MPX3. You will love it. You would probably like the Eddie Current HD25 as well. It was great with HD650's.
tongue.gif

Sep 7, 2004 at 9:10 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

tongue.gif

If you want a great deal on one of the best trios of tubes for the Singlepower amps check out the 6sn7 tubes for sale in the amps for sale forum. You can get a pr. of Sylvania VT231's and a single Kenrad VT231 for 105.00 shipped for the trio. This is a great price. If you have a Singlepower amp with 6sn7 tubes coming this is a great deal for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back