Choosing a Maverick TubeMagick D1 DAC or JDS Labs Standalone ODAC + O2 Headphone Amp
Jun 21, 2013 at 7:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

axeltow

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I wanted to get your opinions on something that has me wondering.

My current setup is:

PC -> DYI DAC/Headphone Amp -> Amplifier -> Speakers. I have my headphones plugged into the DAC/Headphone Amp and when I want to listen to my bookshelf speakers I just unplugged them and turn on the Amplifier.

Since, the DAC/HA is a cheap DIY thingy, I think its time to upgrade. I was looking through various options and I am between the topic mentioned options.

The Maverick DAC looks a good option, since it has a tube pre-amp and a headphone amp. So, in this case I will have the following:
PC -> D1 DAC -> Amplifier -> Speakers. The headphones will be connected to the D1 DAC just as my previous setup. The cost is 265$ (shipping included).

The JDS option will be to get the RCA output DAC to connect to my Amp and then use the 3.5mm output to connect it to the O2 Headphone Amp and only turning it on when I listen to my headphones (both outputs can't be used at the same time). This will cost me more than 300$ (I will need 2 PSU sold separately):
PC -> ODAC -> Amp -> Speakers
                    -> O2 -> Headphones

So, this is in terms of connectivity and price. I have no clue with regards to sound quality though. I guess the Maverick will be a better option given the fact it uses tubes. I would be really thankful if you can give me heads up on which one I should choose. As mentioned, I like the Maverick better because of price and tubes, but I am no pro for sure. Any help will be highly appreciated.

Jun 21, 2013 at 9:39 AM Post #2 of 2
Whatever you do, don't get the Maverick D1.  I had one, and it was my biggest audio purchasing regret.  It's a bona fide piece of crap and the customer service is horrid.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back