Choosing a DAP: Should I Be Getting One?
Mar 13, 2014 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

akpl16

New Head-Fier
Hi Everyone,

I'm looking to grab my first high resolution media player; though I don't have the best budget to work with, I'm looking right now at either a Fiio model or a Sony F887.

After reading a lot of reviews, I'm convinced that Fiio is doing an incredible job with their DAPs, and that the sound quality would make me cry with joy; I was actually thinking about the X3, but with the X5 to be released soon, I was wondering if the extra ~$150 is worth the upgrade to the X5. That being said, though, I have several reasons in my mind as to why I'm considering the Sony F887. First, I have a large collection of music that's already in highly compressed formats (MP3, AAC, etc). and I have read in several places that Sony claims to have a "Digital Sound Enhancement Engine" that upscales all lower-quality audio. I don't know if the Fiio players do this (though I think I read in one article that they bring up the quality of any audio, not just high quality files). Second, in terms of pure functionality, the Sony seems to be better with that regard (such as if I want to pair with a Bluetooth speaker).

I also plan on using a pair of JVC HP-FX500 earphones with whatever I get, too, to try and complement the sound quality on the budget I'm on (can't afford headphones over $200).

I know that I should probably be using these DAPs with FLACs and WAVs, but the reality is that I have a large music collection (with genres from piano concertos to trap to R&B), want to have it most of it with me in a portable device, and just be able to enjoy a better portable audio experience overall (having had to put up with iPods and smartphones for most of my life).

Anyways, any thoughts and opinions would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Mar 13, 2014 at 8:50 PM Post #2 of 3
I'll make it easy for you, if you are NOT going to be listening to a whole lot of HD tracks (i.e. 24bits 96+), then just stick with the Sony's...

The only real "plus" you will get from buying either a FiiO X5, Astell and Kern M100 MK2, or any other HiFi player is that you get more disk space capability to store your music (i.e. the Sony players cannot accept microSD cards while these 2 mentioned can read the new 128GB microSD cards and they have 2 slots == 256GB of space...). Other than that, if all your music is 16bits 44, then you are not really taking advantage of these capable players. Yes, sound quality increases but it will not be miles and miles ahead...

Good luck! :wink:
And welcome to head-fi!

Mar 13, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #3 of 3
I'll make it easy for you, if you are NOT going to be listening to a whole lot of HD tracks (i.e. 24bits 96+), then just stick with the Sony's...

The only real "plus" you will get from buying either a FiiO X5, Astell and Kern M100 MK2, or any other HiFi player is that you get more disk space capability to store your music

I kind of agree. The X3 has an excellent headphone amp. So if you ever decide to upgrade to difficult to drive headphones, it might come in useful over the Sony DAPs. But definitely no reason to spend more than that on an X5 or other audiophile grade DAPs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back