Choosing 2 end-game headphones out of 6 TOTL headphones
Sep 19, 2021 at 6:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

hewlett168

Head-Fier
Hello,

I have recently come to the conclusion that I specifically want 2 end-game headphones that best match/complement each other. I mostly listen to soft rock music, so music that is usually not very intense and where vocals as well as acoustic/electric guitars alike are very important.. Price is not an import consideration, since the second-hand cost of almost all 6 options is relatively close (except the HD800S). I will use the headphones with a Singxer SA-1 and Denafrips Ares 2. I am not opposed to using EQ. At least one of the headphones should be light/comfortable. These are the 6 options:

HEKSE

HD800S

Verite Open

D8000 Pro

Focal Utopia

Audeze LCD-4

I would be very interested to hear what you think complements each other best or maybe some comparisons why some headphone matches my musical preference better than another headphone.

Sep 19, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #3 of 19
I have heard the Susvara, but find it hard to justify spending that much more money for the incremental improvement it provides. Even more so, having 2 TOTL over 1 attracts me more.

Sep 20, 2021 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 19
I previously had the LCD-4 and the Utopia, but after the LCD-4 had an issue with the driver my local dealer offered to trade them in for a D8000 Pro instead. So currently I have the Utopia and D8000 Pro.

I'd always keep the Utopia as they are just perfect for anything acoustic and live but can leave much to be desired in the bass department, plus I've never been too comfortable cranking up the volume for some rock tracks as I fear they might start crackling. As for the LCD-4 or the D8000 Pro, I'd say as much as I liked the bass on the LCD-4, they were too much of a contrast to the Utopia's that I found that it swung in the opposite direction, where I got the bass I wanted but lost the vocals and liveliness that I liked from the Utopia's (although if that is your aim then I'd say those two headphones would be a good combination). The D8000 Pro to me have enough bass quantity and quality that it doesn't have the same issues I got from the LCD-4, I'd say it much more balanced overall compared to the LCD-4 but it's different enough from the Utopia that I can use them for different albums or mood I'm in.

Mostly just my experience though, you might get different results from what your rig is as well.

Sep 20, 2021 at 3:08 AM Post #6 of 19
I'd keep the HE1000v2 and go for the HD800s as a light option that works really well with acoustic guitars and vocals, especially when using EQ. Having a dynamic headphone in the mix enables you to go down the tube amp rabbit hole in the future. If you like your sound stage rather intimate and are not sensitive to treble the utopia would be an option, although I dislike the build quality a lot and everything the treble region has to offer. I don't think the bass is great either compared to the v2 it's probably a downgrade in that region (Yes, I don't think the utopia is a very well-designed headphone :D).

HEKSE and 1000 pro are more side grades/slight upgrades over he1000v2. If you need more treble energy, HEKSE will work nicely. I don't think 1000 Pro really brings anything new to the table than a slightly refined sense of detail. If that's your thing, and you don't mind the weight and tonality of the LCD-4 (reacts very well to EQ) that would be a nice option as well. I'd guess we'll see more of them flooding the market soon.

If that decision would be mine, I'd either go for v2 + HD800 (planar+dynamic, both are incredibly comfy) or LCD-4 + HD800 (planar+dynamic, one is comfy the other one has great sense of detail, both need EQ). Just my two cents.

Sep 20, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 19
Great opinions. When I recently compared the HEKV2 with the HD800S, I definitely liked the V2 more: beter defined bass and imaging, slightly less diffuse presentation. That would make it unlikely for me to use the HD800S next to the V2, as I would always grab the V2. As you say, HEKSE and D8000Pro are mostly sidegrades, so those are not a good addition to the V2 as well. That leaves the Verite Open, Utopia and LCD-4. I am instantly drawn to the LCD-4 because I used to love the LCD-X, with just amazing bass and thunderous slam, but based on your story, Duncan, I would presume that having a planar and a dynamic is better than having two of either one. Then the question would be: VO or Utopia.

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #8 of 19
Well, you don't seem to value sound stage too much, so no reason to go for hd800s then. I'm not sure how well LCD-4 and v2 will complement each other. As for VO and Utopia, they're practically the same price on the used market. VO is more on the enjoyment side of things and Utopia on the intimate, technical presentation (with ridiculous build quality for a 4k MSRP headphone). If you don't enjoy the dynamic driver bass, there's no reason to get either, in my opinion. I personally don't like it as well, that's why I'm in the estat and planar game. So going for the LCD-4 and take it from there wouldn't be too unreasonable, since you like the Audeze aesthetics and construction.

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:28 AM Post #9 of 19
I do actually value soundstage, but not in a more is better way, but it should be a minimum and I doubt the Utopia fulfills that. VO should have the slam, the enjoyment factor, the detail and the stage. On the other hand, it is also a question of what is avalaible second-hand.

Sep 20, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #10 of 19
True, Utopia is very narrow. I feel like it is hit or miss for the VO, but there are a few VO for sale currently. LCD-4 is harder to come by in Europe.

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:08 AM Post #11 of 19
For your music choice I think the VO makes a lot of sense. It’s my favorite headphone so that should tell you my biases. As a complement I’d go for a planar, probably the LCD-4 if weight is not an issue, though personally I like the Abyss Diana v2.

Sep 20, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #12 of 19
Hello,

I have recently come to the conclusion that I specifically want 2 end-game headphones that best match/complement each other. I mostly listen to soft rock music, so music that is usually not very intense and where vocals as well as acoustic/electric guitars alike are very important.. Price is not an import consideration, since the second-hand cost of almost all 6 options is relatively close (except the HD800S). I will use the headphones with a Singxer SA-1 and Denafrips Ares 2. I am not opposed to using EQ. At least one of the headphones should be light/comfortable. These are the 6 options:

HEKSE

HD800S

Verite Open

D8000 Pro

Focal Utopia

Audeze LCD-4

I would be very interested to hear what you think complements each other best or maybe some comparisons why some headphone matches my musical preference better than another headphone.
Easy choice. HEKSE and Utopia. I already own them and these are my 2 favorite headphones.

Sep 20, 2021 at 9:44 AM Post #14 of 19
Keep the he1k and and consider getting either d8k or verite. These 2 have vastly different sound sig to the he1k but whether you like it or not will be subjected to your preference. For reference, I own both hd800 and verite and thoroughly enjoyed this setup.

Sep 20, 2021 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 19
Verite Closed + Utopia would maybe be my option.

SE has no benefit over V2, 800S has too many flaws, never heard VO but since a good closed would be nice i'd get the VC, never heard D8000 and LCD4 but LCD2, X, 3 and I4 and Audeze upper mid suckout just sucks. So you have to try them anyways.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back