Choose an Amp for my Senn 650s
Apr 27, 2008 at 10:48 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonFreeman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think im kinda leaning toward the Solo or the Raptor. I haven't read anything that really impressed me about the WA6, and tube rolling with the WA6 seems like it could be an expensive journey. I wanted a tube amp but if it functions the way I want, it doesn't really matter. I was thinking about a GS-1 but my source is neutral and I want something to add impact to the base and add a little fun to my music. So far, practicality and price kinda make me lean towards the Solo. I just have this thing in the back of my head, Am I getting as much for my money buying a British product like that? I know its stupid but for solo money the other two are in reach and certainly do win out in the sex appeal department.

The Solo won't add anything to your music. The Solo will portray whatever you feed it.

I have the "green" Solo, have not heard the Solo with te PSU-1, which from your price I gather thats what you're looking at. The Solo PSU-1 even sounds better.

What is your source? With a warm source and the 650's I would think that would be enough bass for most.

Deep hard pounding bass will not over saturate the Solo, nor will anything else that I've thrown at it.

Right now I'm listeningn to "Mickey Harts Global Drum Project" , which is all percussion with alot of kettle drumming and the Solo doesn't even hiccup.

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:09 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Am I getting as much for my money buying a British product like that? I know its stupid but for solo money the other two are in reach and certainly do win out in the sex appeal department.

Maybe the Headroom products are right up your alley, as someone mentioned berfore. Having dealt with them before, they won't try to sell you anything you don't need. Tell them what your looking forand they'll advice you what would suit your needs best, without over selling you, also they have the 30 day guarantee.

Apr 27, 2008 at 11:51 PM Post #18 of 24
Also, try and hold off until you can get more opinions, preferably from those how have a lot of, or have heard a lot of different amps.

That's alot of coin to drop. Also, maybe search the for sale forum, not sure who much you would lose hearing something and turning it over if you didn't like it.

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #20 of 24
I currently have the WA6 Maxxed and Raptor, and have owned the 07' version of the Graham Slee Solo. You won't go wrong with any of the choices. I like the Telefunken smooth plate signal with Tung-Sol 5687's in the Raptor. Has the mojo workin' if ya' get the drift. Tubes offer options for a sound Signature and of course need the commensurate care and feeding. All the options will scale well with whatever source you have or will choose for future use. The Slam factor is better with the Slee or Raptor. All have an above average reliability record and good re-sale. Jack Wu and Papa Ray are splendid to work with and go above and beyond the call of duty to keep their customers happy. That's something that I factor into every purchase, I've found that out the hard way.
wink.gif

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:42 AM Post #21 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I currently have the WA6 Maxxed and Raptor, and have owned the 07' version of the Graham Slee Solo. You won't go wrong with any of the choices. I like the Telefunken smooth plate signal with Tung-Sol 5687's in the Raptor. Has the mojo workin' if ya' get the drift. Tubes offer options for a sound Signature and of course need the commensurate care and feeding. All the options will scale well with whatever source you have or will choose for future use. The Slam factor is better with the Slee or Raptor. All have an above average reliability record and good re-sale. Jack Wu and Papa Ray are splendid to work with and go above and beyond the call of duty to keep their customers happy. That's something that I factor into every purchase, I've found that out the hard way.
wink.gif

Thank you sir. Someone mentioned tube rolling with the Raptor is a cheaper proposition and I think the Raptor is looking like the one I want. Any insite as to the sound signatures of the Slee and the Raptor? I know they both sing with the 650s but which will tame the fatigue I get with the 701s best, brass and voices seem to be a bit edgy with the AKGs?

Apr 28, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Thank you sir. Someone mentioned tube rolling with the Raptor is a cheaper proposition and I think the Raptor is looking like the one I want. Any insite as to the sound signatures of the Slee and the Raptor? I know they both sing with the 650s but which will tame the fatigue I get with the 701s best, brass and voices seem to be a bit edgy with the AKGs?

The biggest sound upgrade for the 701's is a cable change (it is sorely needed with the 701). And a signal tube like a Telefunken smooth plate ain't cheap. $125.00-150.00 nos in a box, nice used ones $40.00-50.00 . The signal tube can have as much as 100,000 hrs on it before a change is needed. You don't need the funken' for a quality signal, but it is the "kind" of signal tubes. Amperex are excellent and are half the cost. Many, many options out there. Actually Ray's choice for stock tubes are very good, and cheap! The Raptor is balanced sounding for an OTL, and not the sluggish nature that permeates the breed either. Thanks to its well conceived and executed Power Supply the Raptor will handle any "stock" phone you would care to throw at it. I prefer the closed low impedance variety and it breezes through these with aplomb! It is the quietest tube amp in my memory, not a Hum, whirr, whiz or tick. The Slee is prominent in the midrange and a good match with the thick Senn sound. No veil to be heard! Makes them agile and balanced sounding. And drives the "difficult" 701. If you are a Jazz fan the lack of bottom on the 701 doesn't matter. Fuel for thought. Keep checking the Forum sale pages, one or all show up from time to time.

Apr 28, 2008 at 5:57 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by achristilaw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The biggest sound upgrade for the 701's is a cable change (it is sorely needed with the 701). And a signal tube like a Telefunken smooth plate ain't cheap. $125.00-150.00 nos in a box, nice used ones $40.00-50.00 . The signal tube can have as much as 100,000 hrs on it before a change is needed. You don't need the funken' for a quality signal, but it is the "kind" of signal tubes. Amperex are excellent and are half the cost. Many, many options out there. Actually Ray's choice for stock tubes are very good, and cheap! The Raptor is balanced sounding for an OTL, and not the sluggish nature that permeates the breed either. Thanks to its well conceived and executed Power Supply the Raptor will handle any "stock" phone you would care to throw at it. I prefer the closed low impedance variety and it breezes through these with aplomb! It is the quietest tube amp in my memory, not a Hum, whirr, whiz or tick. The Slee is prominent in the midrange and a good match with the thick Senn sound. No veil to be heard! Makes them agile and balanced sounding. And drives the "difficult" 701. If you are a Jazz fan the lack of bottom on the 701 doesn't matter. Fuel for thought. Keep checking the Forum sale pages, one or all show up from time to time.

Thanks Much!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back