choir type music recommendations..
Dec 4, 2001 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

bpm2000

500+ Head-Fier
hey im a complete ignoramus in this genre, i want the kind of stuff you hear in the movies, no words, you knwo what i mean? (hopefully)
thanks

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:32 AM Post #2 of 25
singing without words? huh? do you mean no english words?

Anyway, try Mozart's Vesperae de Dominicus (spelling butchered by my sleepiness). Or Carl Orff's Carmina Burana if you're a philistine.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 5:36 AM Post #3 of 25
i mean kinda like you hear the "ahhhhhhhhhhhhh" and stuff like that, no "lyrics" i guess
wink.gif

Dec 4, 2001 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 25
Gregorian chant? I would like to get some more of this as well. I have heard some that I really like, but I don't see many reviews of this kind of stuff.

Dec 4, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 25
Mozart's Requiem, Berlin Philharmoniker in 1976, on Deutsche Gramophon. It's about the third CD I ever bought and is still one of my favorites when I want to really listen.

Dec 5, 2001 at 6:18 AM Post #6 of 25
thanks a lot for the suggestions

Dec 5, 2001 at 7:07 AM Post #7 of 25
a great example of what im talkin about is on the "the boondock saints" soundtrack, the "stained glass" track.

there is a link to download it but im not sure if i can post it here...?
http://students.washington.edu/kolbe...ed%20Glass.mp3
remove if inappropriate, thanks.

oh btw thats not my page.

Dec 5, 2001 at 9:25 PM Post #8 of 25
Can't listen to it (computer not set up to listen) -- can't you describe music in words? ;-p

Also, consider getting PFM's The World Became the World -- the first two minutes are choral bliss, some of the most beautiful I've heard anywhere. The rest is 70's prog, if you're into that (which I am).

Dec 6, 2001 at 12:11 PM Post #9 of 25
Serow:

Check out pretty much anything by Hildegard of Bingen. The music is certainly chant-based but is also (kind of, I suspect) composed to match her own texts. Wonderful stuff. Favorite of many is "Feather on the Breath of God" on Hyperion.

Wonderful too is a disc called "Song of the Sybil" with Jordi Sevall in the lead. This is a realization of certain ancient Roman-era texts held in the Vatican library because they were taken to be prophesies consistent with Christianity. Sound interesting? It is, and it is very engrossing to boot.

Dec 6, 2001 at 1:12 PM Post #10 of 25
The Boondock Saints??? I thought I was the only person to ever see that movie? Phenomenal film. Anyway, I would suggest any of Bach's Masses or Passions (the B-minor mass comes to mind). They have lyrics, but if you are not German, they will probably not mean much to you. Also try Rachmaninov's Vespers, which you will not understand unless you have Old Church Slavonic under your belt....which would really surprise me...Gregorian Chant would also be right up your alley. For a more modern, yet still unintelligible choice, try Sigur Ros, as they sing in Icelandic, as well as a language they just made up. Any of these selections would be great to listen to, so take your pick.

Dec 7, 2001 at 4:10 AM Post #11 of 25
Yea I couldnt believe that it wasnt more popular after I watched it, its definitely something everyone should see.
if you got em keep em comin'!
thank

Dec 7, 2001 at 7:34 AM Post #12 of 25
You might try Delerium's 'Semantic Spaces' or 'Karma'. Quite a lot of backing chorals, though many songs have vocals (in English) as well, especially on Karma.

One track I think you might like is "Eyes of Truth" by Enigma, from the album 'Cross of Changes'. I've seen it in a number of movie previews, and in a commercial for the Matrix DVD. The rest of the album isn't like that song, though, so be warned.

Dec 12, 2001 at 3:05 PM Post #14 of 25
'Libera Me' from Gabriel Faure's Requiem

And judging from the other posts here,

Requiem by Everybody
very_evil_smiley.gif
: "I see dead people"
very_evil_smiley.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back