Choices4funsound w/o amp: FS Atrio M5/Crossroads X3/SF3 with Westone cables/UM1
May 7, 2007 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

_M2

500+ Head-Fier
All of the IEMs that I listed have been highly praised by many head-fiers every single darn day, but whats >the< ultimate mid-fi IEM? IF i can get the M5 for $135. What does the general public have to say and how would they be ranked as?
If there isnt a clear winner, what would be the best bang for the buck considering I would NOT like to buy all 4 of them and have the horrible time of reselling them all....

The reason I have the SF3 with westone cables in the mix is because Jant71 tried them and this is what he has to say:
Quote:

Originally Posted by jant71 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not too much there but this is the thread..
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=233888

For $399, the Triple.fi should at least come with the $28 UE-10 cable. It is clearly underperforming. Again to make the custom seem so much better. Since Thanksgiving, I've had the S.f 3, E4C, 5 Pro, Triple.fi, ER4P then S(S cable). Now for a few bucks >$150 I have a phone that has mids equal(at least) to the E4C, impact as good as either the 5 Pro or Triples( and soundstage better than both) and detail a bit better than either ER4 or Triple.fi. I can hear things I couldn't before with the same songs and sources. I am turning the music off way more to see "what that was" only to find it was something in the music that the other phones didn't reproduce. More importantly, I haven't picked up my other phones at all recently. I did the A/B vs. my CD-780's that I did with all those other IEMs and this is the first one that stacked up soundstage included(sounds the equivalent of 2/3 as big which is way impressive against an open phone with a pretty big soundstage)!

So, I'm basically saying that a Super.fi 3(1st version btw) with a Westone ES cable and an S adapter is better than an ER4S or E4C or Triple.fi 10.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...94#post2896594

Ps: I am a student so I would not want to spend another $70 on an amp just yet, so I knocked out the PK1s. Thanks all.

May 7, 2007 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 22
I am also wondering about the same choices in addition to the shure se210. I would listen mostly on the go or while on the computer or studying, no critical listening. I would prefer something that makes me want to tap my feet. I listen mostly to rock music. Right now I only have the JVC Marshmallow as in ears and they sound good to me, but I would like a little more isolation. I would usually be listening out of a Cowon D2, no amp. Any recommendations are welcome.

May 7, 2007 at 3:15 AM Post #3 of 22
I had the exact same decision but chose to get the Atrio M5s, I read all the reviews and looked at all the options. I was choosing between this and the Mylarone X3s, but I thought that the build quality would not be as good as the M5's which also had sq that was highly praised by the reviews for the music that I listen to
basshead.gif

Final decision will always be yours but this is what I chose... good luck
wink.gif

May 7, 2007 at 3:24 AM Post #4 of 22
No vote here. My CMX3 with E2 foamies simply blows UM1 out of the water but there's no way I can get any M5 to compare them with, let alone the SF3 with Westone cable.

Coming from JVC MMs I am very satisfied with CMX3. Best bang for buck in their price range for sure.

May 7, 2007 at 5:22 AM Post #5 of 22
CR M3 is the one. No contest. it can even rival sf5p, um2 and E4. what can you expect?

May 7, 2007 at 6:11 AM Post #6 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by theory_87 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
CR M3 is the one. No contest. it can even rival sf5p, um2 and E4. what can you expect?

Everything except UM1 is >quoted< that they can beat them already... This is a weird hobby. Money doesnt mean good anymore...

May 7, 2007 at 7:32 AM Post #7 of 22
Yes. But the ball is round. armature driver is once the god. But now the ball is back to Mylar driver.

May 7, 2007 at 9:29 AM Post #8 of 22
Quote:

Yes. But the ball is round. armature driver is once the god. But now the ball is back to Mylar driver.

It does seem that the pendulum is swinging toward dynamic drivers for low and mid-level IEMs, but the new triple driver top end IEMs are of course all armature. But if we do accept that mylar is back in competition, why do you assume Mylarone M3 over the Futuresonics Atrio M5? Is it just because the Crossroads is so much cheaper? They do quote a wider frequency range than Futuresonics, but I don't know if we should really read into this. I haven't heard of anyone doing a serious A/B test between these contenders yet.

May 7, 2007 at 7:43 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It does seem that the pendulum is swinging toward dynamic drivers for low and mid-level IEMs, but the new triple driver top end IEMs are of course all armature. But if we do accept that mylar is back in competition, why do you assume Mylarone M3 over the Futuresonics Atrio M5? Is it just because the Crossroads is so much cheaper? They do quote a wider frequency range than Futuresonics, but I don't know if we should really read into this. I haven't heard of anyone doing a serious A/B test between these contenders yet.

Reason is simple. I hear them both
smily_headphones1.gif
Should some company able to R&D dual mylar driver, it will beat the triple driver IEM. M3 is able to touch E500 and tf10p in some aspects. Alot of um2 and sf5p user also put their IEM aside for M3 here in Singapore. No kidding. I don't hype things. i only trust my ears. I do know some things about Mylars series and know roughly what will happen soon but I can't reveal them. Anyway, people in US will soon be happy
etysmile.gif

May 7, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #10 of 22
I'll chime in. I also add impendance to my modded SF 3. The sound quality is a little better than stock 5 Pro and not as good as a Triple.fi without the S cable. More fun than either IMO with or w/o impendance added.

The cost for me was about $80 for a used 3 Studio and the Westone cable.

So, the Mylar three is ~$20 less, is new and is on 5 Pro level. Maybe a better buy valuewise.

I may just try the Three and add the S adapter to see how good it is. I am curious about the speed. Faster is more fun for me. The Super.fi 3 has the speed I like. I may not get them since the modded 3's killed all interest I had in either the Westone 3 or E500 and I only listen to it and neglect my other earphones/Headphones.

Those should be the only two choices as the UM1 not as good and the Atrio is reported to be on the 5 Pro level but $100 more than the Crossroads.

May 7, 2007 at 11:44 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Reason is simple. I hear them both
smily_headphones1.gif
Should some company able to R&D dual mylar driver, it will beat the triple driver IEM. M3 is able to touch E500 and tf10p in some aspects. Alot of um2 and sf5p user also put their IEM aside for M3 here in Singapore. No kidding. I don't hype things. i only trust my ears. I do know some things about Mylars series and know roughly what will happen soon but I can't reveal them. Anyway, people in US will soon be happy
etysmile.gif

That's a very good reason! I doubt we'll see a dual mylar driver in an IEM soon, considering how there hasn't been an audiophile dual-mylar since the AKG K270/280, at least not that I can think of, and that was of course a full-size headphone.

And what's that you're hinting at? US distribution? Or is there already a new model in the works?

May 7, 2007 at 11:48 PM Post #12 of 22
The only reason I am sort of leaning towards the futuresonics over the crossroads is because of the isolation. If there were a tip, like the shure black foamies, that improved the isolation of the crossroads greatly, then I would probably get those.

May 8, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #13 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77Pat /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only reason I am sort of leaning towards the futuresonics over the crossroads is because of the isolation. If there were a tip, like the shure black foamies, that improved the isolation of the crossroads greatly, then I would probably get those.

You can try UE sleeves or E2 sleeves. On my M1 and M3, isolation is just as good as my um2
etysmile.gif

May 8, 2007 at 4:13 AM Post #14 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a very good reason! I doubt we'll see a dual mylar driver in an IEM soon, considering how there hasn't been an audiophile dual-mylar since the AKG K270/280, at least not that I can think of, and that was of course a full-size headphone.

And what's that you're hinting at? US distribution? Or is there already a new model in the works?

time will let you know in due course
biggrin.gif

May 8, 2007 at 4:35 AM Post #15 of 22
Quote:

You can try UE sleeves or E2 sleeves. On my M1 and M3, isolation is just as good as my um2
etysmile.gif

Try the E2 foamies (orange) if you aren't fan of silicon or flanged tips. I have an extra pair bought for my Marshmallows and think to myself, "Why not?" Once they're on, my jaws simply dropped. Clean, punchy bass with virtually not a single detail less in mid and high than the original X3. Highly recommended.

Added: If there's something coming up, be it custom mold or just face lift, I do wish the upper section of the cable (above the split) can be a little longer. It's needed for wearing the cans upside-down, which is the only way to avoid microphonics AFAIK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back