Choices.. Choices..
Mar 23, 2009 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

bladefd

500+ Head-Fier
Hey, I was looking for a headphone for between 25-100 and was wondering what is the best bang for the buck. I posted on these forums over 2 years ago, and a couple people convinced me to get a Denon D1000 back then. I bought a D-1000 back then for about $125 off ebay, but the right side of it died. The warranty would be up, and I know for sure that Denon's warranty wouldn't cover eBay regardless. I am pretty much forced to buy a new headphone. I do NOT plan on spending more than $100 this time though. With the way things are going right now economically, I cannot afford to spend more than $100. To be perfectly honest here, If I could get something for $50-60 that is almost just as good as a $100 piece, I would go for the 50-60 one.
beerchug.gif

It has to fit the following categories though:

1) I play LOTS of games like COD4 so footsteps and directions are pretty important. I also listen to lots of music(lots of rock, some hip-hop, very little classical, very little jazz, etc) so the headphone would be just for those things. I don't consider myself an audiophile so I won't be VERY picky about how it sounds.
2) I already have a standalone mic right now so I don't really need a headset with a mic. This is really not a requirement though.
3) It doesn't really matter whether if the headphone is 5.1 surround sound or not(obviously there is no decent "true" 5.1 surround sound for headphones so that point is pretty much moot). I might get a really cheap amp if necessary.
4) I like closed circumaural headphones but it's no big deal if they are open circumaural. They have to be circumaural though; cannot be supraaural since they don't go around the ears completely. I am going to be wearing them for extensive periods while gaming so this pretty much throws out headphones such as the Grado SR-60's.
5) I really don't want to order from eBay if possible (This is NOT a requirement but just saying). If I could stay under $100 without ebay, it would be great. If not, I guess I can buy from eBay.

I Copy/pasted from my old thread the headphones that I considered buying 2 years ago after some research back then (I have not done any research this time so I am sure prices and everything has changed in the last 2 years):
1) Sennheiser HD515. These would probably be perfect for my ears but there were a few reviews that I read which mentioned something about bass being on the weak side. They still do not have terrible reviews. Still considering.
2) Sennheiser HD555. I know these cost more than $100 but if they are really worth it, I might be able to find a set on ebay for less than their retail price. BUT buying it off ebay may void the warranty. I haven't read Sennheiser's policy on that. I would be treading on a risky path by getting these from ebay if something goes wrong a year down the road.
3) Sennheiser HD280 PRO. I have looked at TONS of reviews for these. They seem to have interested me a lot. I have yet to find a big negative for these. I MAY just decide to get these unless recommended otherwise.
4) Sennheiser HD205. I probably won't be getting these considering that the other 4 I listed are probably way better than this but I did once consider it.
5) Sony MDR-XD400. Read in couple reviews that they tend to get sweaty around the ears after extensive use but are pretty decent for its price tag otherwise. Didn't really go too far with these.

I also remember there were some other $90 headphones - RP-21 or something like that - that I looked at very closely. I don't know if they are still at the top or not for under $100. Any ideas? Thanks folks.

P.S. I am sure you all get plenty of these threads daily but I looked at a few threads on first 2 pages and couldn't find anything with similar requirements to mine. Thanks again.

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:00 AM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Skin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any half way decent headphone or headset will satisfy your gaming requirement so i wouldnt even worry about that.

Agreed.

AD700 as suggested be good, it's currently selling around $90 with shipping at Amazon.

The HD555 be fine also, just remove the foam by the driver, and you got yourself a HD595.

If you prefer Closed, I would suggest the A700. the closed version of the AD700, pretty positive they use the same drivers.

But honestly I would just spend around $50-60 from your opening post. Look at JVC RX700 for $30 shipped by Buy.com or the RX900 $50 shipped. There are some nifty mods you can do also, posted in this forum for relatively cheap. RX900 modded be about $65

Mar 23, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #5 of 23
What did you like or not like about the D1001?

If you're not an audiophile, what did you think of the comfort? If you are looking for D1001's comfort, you are not going to find it in the HD280's or the JVC's. (though, I've only tried the JVC's.)

For ~$50, there isn't much you can get.
I would recommend looking into the RX700 or RX900.
The RX900 is suppose to be more open.. so that might be better for gaming.

For $100, you could.. get another pair of D1001's or get the AD700's
(look into ebay + live.com cashback. you can get the D1001's for $90 shipped and AD700's for $81 shipped).
You could also get a refurbished pair of beyerdynamic DT770/80 that might be worth looking into.

BTW, I'll take your broken D1001 if you don't want it.

Mar 23, 2009 at 1:43 PM Post #6 of 23
x2 on the RX700.

Better than the AD700, RX900 and D1001, in my opinion.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by nullstring /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What did you like or not like about the D1001?

I actually had the D1000, not D1001 (I dunno the difference between the two).

Anyways, I thought these were very comfortable. If the ear pieces were just a little bit bigger, my ears would completely go inside them. Right now, either the top part or the bottom part of my ears gets pushed inwards by the headphone. It feels perfectly fine until I take them off my head. After that, I get extreme soreness for about 5 minutes after I remove them and then fine after that. Outside of that, I really have no complains. I never tried out any better headphones than these in the past so my opinion is kind of limited TBH. I really am willing to get something new this time though and I would not mind..

Right now I am thinking of getting the AD700. Sound-wise, how would the AD700 compare to the D1000? I know the A700 is closed (Which would be a plus for me) but AD700 supposedly sounds much better and is cheaper. At this point, I would rather save $30 and get the AD700.

Mar 23, 2009 at 9:52 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
AD700 or RX700.

I quickly glanced at couple threads on these forums after searching. RX700 is getting a lot more compliments than I expected.

Here is just one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ad700-vs-rx700-416007/

In that thread, 2 people said that the RX700 sounds better than AD700 and has better bass. Then I saw 1 person saying that the RX700 is overrated and people are going overboard by saying it is better than AD700. RX700 definitely seems to have better value for it's cost.

hmm AD700 or RX700.. I don't know anymore.. All I know at this moment is that I was perfectly fine with how the D1000 sounded. The AD700 is on the higher end of my budget; I would be stretching out my budget but if it is worth it then I don't mind. Any suggestions?

edit: Don't forget what my main needs are. Gaming is my #1 need with music at #2. Rock/hip-hop mostly (75%) and then a little bit of classical/jazz/metal.

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:37 PM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed.

AD700 as suggested be good, it's currently selling around $90 with shipping at Amazon.

The HD555 be fine also, just remove the foam by the driver, and you got yourself a HD595.

If you prefer Closed, I would suggest the A700. the closed version of the AD700, pretty positive they use the same drivers.

But honestly I would just spend around $50-60 from your opening post. Look at JVC RX700 for $30 shipped by Buy.com or the RX900 $50 shipped. There are some nifty mods you can do also, posted in this forum for relatively cheap. RX900 modded be about $65

If you order the ad700 at Amazon, you'll get the a700. At least that's what's happened with other head-fi'ers who ordered a pair. You'd win $50 usd that way...

Mar 23, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hmm AD700 or RX700.. I don't know anymore.. All I know at this moment is that I was perfectly fine with how the D1000 sounded. The AD700 is on the higher end of my budget; I would be stretching out my budget but if it is worth it then I don't mind. Any suggestions?

You stated in your OP that you are not an audiophile and that you dont care too much about sound quality so i dont see how the answer could be elusive for you. Go for the $35, being hailed as a great bargain for its performance, of course.

Unless that money is burning a hole in your pocket.

Mar 24, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by bladefd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I quickly glanced at couple threads on these forums after searching. RX700 is getting a lot more compliments than I expected.

Here is just one: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ad700-vs-rx700-416007/

In that thread, 2 people said that the RX700 sounds better than AD700 and has better bass. Then I saw 1 person saying that the RX700 is overrated and people are going overboard by saying it is better than AD700. RX700 definitely seems to have better value for it's cost.

edit: Don't forget what my main needs are. Gaming is my #1 need with music at #2. Rock/hip-hop mostly (75%) and then a little bit of classical/jazz/metal.

Some people look for different things when comparing SQ. It's their opinion, I suggest you just listen to both yourself and decide from there if it's worth it to shell out cash for the AD700 over the RX700.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:21 PM Post #14 of 23
Yes, obviously, if you can listen to both that would be ideal.

You mentioned that you were quite happy with the D1001. I really do think you should jump on the RX700 as it has a similar signature, just more of it, if that makes sense.

The AD700 is considered good for gaming due to it's big soundstage, but I've also heard some gamers don't like it because there's not enough oomph in explosions and such.

I'm afraid you'll see quite a big difference going from the D1001 to the AD700. My assumption is that you won't like the difference because you'll miss the bass and presence of the D1001. I could be wrong though. If you don't need the bass or the isolation, the AD700 has better highs, although somewhat grainy.

But if you like the RX700 (I can almost guarantee you will if you like the D1001) than you'll be happy with yourself because you only spent $35 on them.

Mar 24, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you order the ad700 at Amazon, you'll get the a700. At least that's what's happened with other head-fi'ers who ordered a pair. You'd win $50 usd that way...

I'm waiting for mine now and I'll let you know exactly what arrives.

I got the ad700's because I already had a pair of decent closed cans. I decided to get something I could enjoy at home. I'm don't know what the RX700 sounds like but I think the decision might come down to some basic questions:

How important is price?
Closed vs open?
Bass vs med-high detail?

UPDATE:
Got em' and they are exactly what I ordered.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back