Choices, choices: Superlux, Sennheiser, Audio-Technica or Koss?
Dec 22, 2013 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

echoleaf

New Head-Fier
Trying to decide between the Superlux HD668B, the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, the Audio-Technica ATH-M50 and the Koss Pro DJ 100.  My old cans were the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs, which I loved.  I was tempted to buy them on Amazon this weekend for $49 but I'm wondering if they can be improved on.  I used them for listening to and producing electronic music at reasonable volumes (ie I never cranked the phones too high).  I like clarity, separation between instruments and an honest sound more than an eq'd sound, and while I'm not a bass-head, I *loved* the bass and feeling a touch of sub on the M40fs.

The frequency response graphs at headphone.com show the Sennheiser & Audio-Technica to be fairly similar, especially with bass, while the Superlux and Koss seem to be less flat and have more of a bass roll-off.  If I could find the graph for the m40fs I would probably pick one very similar to it but googling for it has been unsuccessful.  Hell - maybe the best choice is to stick to what I know I like.

What say you - which of these do you prefer and why?

Dec 23, 2013 at 3:07 AM Post #2 of 3
Gemini HSR-1000 (Takstar Pro 80) closed headphones $55-$60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back