ChiUniFi 9 Meet Impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 30, 2015 at 11:33 AM Post #46 of 78
Also, in retrospect I should have spent more time playing with the crossfeed settings on your Classic.  It always seems like there's never enough time at these things, right?

I socialize more than I listen because there's only so much I can take in and still make sense of. Then afterwards, I read the impressions and realize I missed hearing something. But there's always next time (I'll try to make it).

Its crossfeed seems somewhat unpredictable, and it also has a "tonal balance" switch. I tend to underthink it and simply flip through the options till it sounds best to me. That's clearly not the most efficient approach, but I reckon the result is the same whether or not I fully understand what it does. But if you can figure it out, hats off--or maybe I wear a hat in your honor? :D

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:31 PM Post #47 of 78
Had a great time, I can’t believe that I almost didn’t go & that I had any idea that I might actually leave early.  Once again, too much gear to listen to & people to talk with in such a short time.  Thanks to Keith for sponsoring & the vendors who sent gear.

Favorite gear listened to:

Jibzilla’s Wheatfield amp– Hadn’t even heard of this before, absolutely great sound with the HD800s (and great set up in general with the Auralic Ark et al.)

All the Stax setups, esp Maverickronin’s modded lamdas   - This was really the first time I have had a chance to listen to Stax phones with any real focus.  Very interested in getting a setup for myself now, generally loved the sound and the various flavors of cans at the meet.

Most surprising gear listened to:

The Darin Fong Audio “Out of Your Head” software demo – very interesting and impressive.  I will be trying this out in depth soon since I won the raffle!

HE1k – was most surprised by the price and how by much sound leaks both in and out of these cans. A meet is definitely not the right environment to try these out.

Most Favorite moments:

Winning more raffle prizes than actually existed & still turning down the Verbs

Watching audioaddicts’s face when I told him someone who shall remain nameless was attempting to push his amp & headphones to distortion levels.  Priceless
wink_face.gif

Least Favorite moments:

Almost dying (thanks again to whoever helped me out, never got the name!)

Missing out on one of Zach’s hugs

Note: Least favorite moments are not necessarily presented in order of least favorite.

Jun 30, 2015 at 8:55 PM Post #48 of 78
Least Favorite moments:

Note: Least favorite moments are not necessarily presented in order of least favorite.

I was gonna say.  We should've combined my hug with the life saving.
wink_face.gif

ZMFheadphones ZMF headphones hand-crafts wood headphones in Chicago, USA with special attention to exceptional sound and craftsmanship. Stay updated on ZMFheadphones at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/ZMFheadphones https://twitter.com/ZMFheadphones https://www.instagram.com/zmfheadphones/?hl=en http://www.zmfheadphones.com/zmf-originals/ contactzmf@gmail.com
Jun 30, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #49 of 78
I was shocked when someone nearby me was trying out the HE1K right after me, as far as the sound bleed goes. My eyes were closed during listening but for all I know folks could have been looking over at me like turn that down!

Jun 30, 2015 at 10:01 PM Post #50 of 78
Had a great time, I can’t believe that I almost didn’t go & that I had any idea that I might actually leave early.  Once again, too much gear to listen to & people to talk with in such a short time.  Thanks to Keith for sponsoring & the vendors who sent gear.

Favorite gear listened to:

Jibzilla’s Wheatfield amp– Hadn’t even heard of this before, absolutely great sound with the HD800s (and great set up in general with the Auralic Ark et al.)

All the Stax setups, esp Maverickronin’s modded lamdas   - This was really the first time I have had a chance to listen to Stax phones with any real focus.  Very interested in getting a setup for myself now, generally loved the sound and the various flavors of cans at the meet.

Most surprising gear listened to:

The Darin Fong Audio “Out of Your Head” software demo – very interesting and impressive.  I will be trying this out in depth soon since I won the raffle!

HE1k – was most surprised by the price and how by much sound leaks both in and out of these cans. A meet is definitely not the right environment to try these out.

Most Favorite moments:

Winning more raffle prizes than actually existed & still turning down the Verbs

Watching audioaddicts’s face when I told him someone who shall remain nameless was attempting to push his amp & headphones to distortion levels.  Priceless :wink_face:

Least Favorite moments:

I'm really glad you came! I've been yammering on about that HE-6/Stratus combo all week. I'm also really glad you didn't choke. :)

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #52 of 78
I'll post some impressions soon but I wanted to drop some knowledge on folks in this thread, Kojaku made it into the buying guide!

Every time I hear that sound, I have visions of my son as a toddler pushing the Turbo X around the table like a toy truck.

http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-desktop-portable-speakers#user_riva_turbo_x

Jul 1, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #53 of 78
Jul 2, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #55 of 78
Hehe, just don't mention what I was *specifically* talking about xD

Kojaku

Why, what specifically were you talking about?

Also, HOLY CRAP YOU LOOK LIKE JUDE!

If anyone is interested, Arnold from Tweak Studio has offered to host a meet later this summer Timing would need to worked out.

He did?!  He's never offered to do that with me.  
frown.gif

I just had email from Arnold, he threw out August 8th.  

Hmm... I've lost that loving feeling in his eyes.  Also, please tell Arnold I said hello.  
smile.gif

Almost dying

Wait, DAFUQ happened?  
blink.gif

Jul 2, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #56 of 78
Why, what specifically were you talking about?

Also, HOLY CRAP YOU LOOK LIKE JUDE!

Hehe, I may or may not have been talking about a beloved modder headphone.

And yes, it's a running joke that I'm Jude's son, as many have approached me at meets to ask me if I am indeed the "Son Of Jude" (seriously, it's happened). None of the mods get the joke, so no one will give me the custom title...*cough cough*

Kojaku

Jul 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM Post #58 of 78
Jul 2, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #60 of 78
Wait, are you a doppleganger of the Son of Jude? How does the older one become the doppleganger?

Don't ask too many questions. The Mansillas family is a complex, enigmatic machine.

Kojaku

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back