"ChiUniFi 4" the Official and Annual Chicago Headphone Get-together November 13th 2010
Oct 23, 2010 at 3:08 PM Post #136 of 239

Quote:
Early birds always get the worm or in this case a spot at ChiUniFi.  It looks like you have some great toys to get a chance to listen to.

I will have:

Amplifiers:
Ray Samuels Stealth
HiFiMan EF5

Source
PS Audio PWD
Laptop running either iTunes or JRivers

Headphone
HiFiMan HE5
AKG 702
Senneheiser HD600

Power Conditioner
PS Audio Ultimate Outlet

Cables:
From one of our Friends - Locus-Design / cyroparts
..Axis or Polestar (laptop to PWD) [These will be in the raffle]

From one of our Friends - WyWires
..Salsa interconnect (PWD to Stealth)
..2 Power Cables (Stealth, PWD)

From one of our Friends - Morrow Audio
..MA3 interconnect (PWD to EF5) [This cable will is the one to be included in the raffle]

From one of Friends - Warren Audio
..X10 balance to single ended adapter
..X10 balance for Senneheiser HD650
..X10 balance for Senneheiser HD800
..X10 balance for LCD 2

My personal X10 balance cable for HE5 and single ended for the AKG 702

I wanted to mention the MA3 I will be using is the one to be raffled at ChiUniFi IV.  I also recently talked with Lee from Locus-Design and will be using one of the USB cables he is donating for the raffle to connect my laptop to my PS Audio Perfect Wave DAC.  

Oct 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #137 of 239

Quote:

I use a NOS Telefunken currently in my Raptor and a NOS  Mullard in my Stealth.  I recently ordered a Pavane / Psvane Reference series 12AU7-T vacuum tube from Grant Fidelity one of the Friends of ChiUniFi IV along with an 12AT7, which provides a little more gain for my Stealth.  I think with shipping they are currently running about $84 for the 2 tubes.  

The other tube you may want to try in the Raptor is the 12BH7.  I don't recall what I purchased a pair for but I don't think it was over $100.

With all that said, the rumor is the Telefunken is the best match but it is fun to tube roll and hear the differences.  I think it also may depend on the headphones you are using, what sounds best.  

Well I have not turned on my Raptor or any of my none portable gear for few months and then 6 months before that one day
smily_headphones1.gif
I just checked and looks like I was running Telefunken that lest time as well as it is also one of my favorite. Did not know that others recommended it as well
smily_headphones1.gif
I used to have a selection of a tube for most of my favorite music. Pink Floyd for example is mostly Sylvania gold. I also remember liking Amperex Globe and for some of the older metal JJ was a good choice. I have maybe 8 other brands in my collection but have never owned or tried Mullard although I heard good things about it but not sure which models. At one point my Raptor (got it on preorder # 6 before it came out after hearing the preproduction at Rays house meet) was upgraded by Ray to reduce the heat and some other upgrade. After that change it seamed like it became less effected by tuberolling. Still big deference but not as pronounced in my ear.

Oct 25, 2010 at 6:49 PM Post #138 of 239
I didn't receive a confirmation -- probably because I somehow failed to post in this thread. I am planning on attending, of course, (a Pistons ticket wouldn't even stop me from going
tongue_smile.gif
) and my inventory will most likely be the following:

Headphones: Denon D7000 + J$ v2 Pads; Denon D2000; Phonak Audéo PFE; JH Audio JH|5 Pro;

Source: NuForce µDAC; Samsung P3

Oct 26, 2010 at 12:07 AM Post #139 of 239
Hi!

Here are my details, such as they are.  Not sure if you got them already or not as I sent them on the 19th...

Head-fi user name: Motomatt
First name, or nick name you want to be called: Matt
Are you bringing anyone else: yes
If you are then how many people: one
Name's of the people: Dan or Josh
Headphones/earphones/etc: Grado SR225i
Headphone amps: NU Force ICON Portable
Source's: Sony Media Player, iPod Nano 
Cables: FiiO Line Out cables for Sony and iPod
Anything else I should know?  Don't think so - but feel free to ask if something comes to mind...

Thanks!

Matt

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #141 of 239
Darius: I got your pm. YEah i still have Raptor #1 with the original power supply. I have some 12au7 tubes from a bunch i bought off eBay long time ago...i even forgot what i had. they're tested good also. Umm don't worry about buying them, just buy a few raffle tickets in trade. if you would like, or you can just take them..the tubes not the tickets..haha

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #142 of 239

Quote:
Darius: I got your pm. YEah i still have Raptor #1 with the original power supply. I have some 12au7 tubes from a bunch i bought off eBay long time ago...i even forgot what i had. they're tested good also. Umm don't worry about buying them, just buy a few raffle tickets in trade. if you would like, or you can just take them..the tubes not the tickets..haha

Nice, I thought you sold it
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess I can borrow them for a test run. How much are the tickets going to be? Need to know how much cash to bring
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 26, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #143 of 239
Anyone attending has a pair of Beyerdynamic 250-80 headphones? I know a long shot. Owned them twice now and need a pair again
smily_headphones1.gif
)) Need a closed headphone thats tough for the kids.

Oct 26, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #145 of 239
I wanted to let attendees know, Fang has made arrangements so the production version of the HE-6's that is being routed around is scheduled to ship to me so I can bring them to ChiUniFi IV so everyone will have a chance to listen to the latest.

Thanks Fang.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #146 of 239
With all you guys bringing tubes, does anyone happen to have a tube tester they could bring along?  I've got a bunch of tubes from my vintage fisher stereo amp that I need to check out, less they blow up when I fire up the amp.  figured it was worth a shot.

Oct 27, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #147 of 239

Quote:
I wanted to let attendees know, Fang has made arrangements so the production version of the HE-6's that is being routed around is scheduled to ship to me so I can bring them to ChiUniFi IV so everyone will have a chance to listen to the latest.

Thanks Fang.

very cool.  it will be great to hear these.  I have always been impressed by Fangs products.  I just wish I could afford more of them.

Oct 27, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #148 of 239
I will bring my tester, if I am able to make it.

Oct 28, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #150 of 239
My SR325is are confirmed.  Just got them in today, praise eBay!  Not that it matters since everyone else seems to be bringing a pair.  Maybe I'll have them modded before then.  I don't want to commit to any permanent sonic mods before I get a good feel for the stock sound and decide which one I'd like to try.  I might try something with the pads though.  The cable needs some work to keep it from twisting itself to death too.  I'm thinking TS connectors in each earcup would do the job nicely.  The connectors could spin and take the strain off the cables.  The parts for my transformer box are in as well, so I need to set aside some time to put it together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back