chinese music, recommendations?
Apr 2, 2006 at 6:22 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
Maybe someone can help me out: Recently I saw a chinese band on TV playing a something like progressive rock or metal while using chinese instruments besides guitar and drums. Unfortunately they didn't say their name...

12 Girls Band perhaps?

+1 for David Tao, and Wang Lee Hom. My a cappella group (see my sig) does David Tao all the time. Other suggestions:

F.I.R.
Jacky Cheung
Justin Lo (if you speak Cantonese)
Jones Shi

Oh, and check out www.pennyo.org for a new twist on Chinese music. :)

Apr 2, 2006 at 8:20 AM Post #17 of 32
Was this band recent?

Progressive rock goes back to the 70s in Cantonese pop music....Chyna is probably the genre's most visble proponent. The band's drummer Donald Ashley is still active in Hong Kong pop music.

Apr 2, 2006 at 9:16 AM Post #18 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by plus_c
12 Girls Band perhaps?

+1 for David Tao, and Wang Lee Hom. My a cappella group (see my sig) does David Tao all the time. Other suggestions:

F.I.R.
Jacky Cheung
Justin Lo (if you speak Cantonese)
Jones Shi

Oh, and check out www.pennyo.org for a new twist on Chinese music. :)

NO WAY!
orphsmile.gif

Apr 7, 2006 at 12:31 PM Post #19 of 32
Sun Yan Zi (Stefanie Sun) is by far my favourite chinese pop artist -- I absolutely love her. Staying with pop, I think F.I.R and Eva are pretty good, too. It's the kind of lack-of-dissonance-feel-good pop, not too ballad-like slow but not too fast-paced either with pretty melodies. F.I.R has a few rock elements thrown in here and there.

I also recently heard a Chinese punk band in Beijing which was very good. Can't remember the band name unfortunately. There are also some excellent electronic DJs in China who display good taste in their selection of mixes. The club scene (just like the modern arts scene) is pretty big and steadily growing in cities like Shanghai and Beijing, not even including Hong Kong.

I'm currently in Beijing after not having been here for 2 years and the creative potential is amazing. The circle of interest is still relatively "small" (compared to the population) but I'm hopeful that it will expand into the masses in due time. I really can't wait till the Chinese discover jazz as the Japanese did. Chinese music seems to have a faible for kitsch but looking at the modern art example, in just 3-4 years, the art community has been literally exploding in Beijing. At some of the galleries you feel like walking through a Western museum of modern art with specklessly executed and profoundly expressive paitings and sculptures - all while retaining parts of the Chinese cultural heritage through the use of distinctively Chinese symbolism, leitmotifs, etc. The same might happen to the music scene although this might still take a few years.

Apr 25, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #24 of 32
Does anyone know where I can buy Beyond's CD's
eek.gif
I love them!!!

Apr 25, 2006 at 4:53 PM Post #26 of 32
Beyond, as a group, no longer make music together. Individual members are working on solo projects.

10 years ago? I remember them when they had 5 members.....way back in the mid 80s, before they signed to a major label.....and promptly sold out.

Apr 25, 2006 at 5:18 PM Post #27 of 32
Found this and I could not resist
eek.gif
!
Thanks for the website, guys
tongue.gif

Jan 23, 2011 at 2:38 PM Post #28 of 32
A couple of threads on a Russian music-headphones forum dedicated to modern Chinese music: 

1. Chinese Rock / Metal Music - a few very interesting bands: Yaksa, Second Hand Rose, Soma TNT, Voodoo Kungfu (my favorite), AK-47, Twisted Machine. 
  2. Chinese Folk Rock Music - Su Yang, Glorious Pharmacy, Xiao He, Wan Xiaoli among a few more. 
  3. A thread with interesting (and rare) music videos: Liquid Oxygen Can, Catching String (female growling), Tiefutu (black), Last Successor (MoYi), Sick Larvae (Nu-metal). 

Oct 11, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #30 of 32
Nobody here mentioned Faye Wong? That's... Unfortunate?!

Her discography is pretty wild and varied between albums.

Just to give you some tonal whiplash, digging for Chinese music on Bandcamp I found some pretty cool Chinese metal.

Like, you enjoy Nightwish? How about Nightwish - but it's CHINESE?

To continue giving you whiplash... OK this isn't Chinese LANGUAGE music so much, but still if you want to try something totally different might be worth a look.

I would recommend digging around bandcamp's "china" and "chinese" tags and go from there. There's not TERRIBLY much on there, but none the less you can find some interesting bits and pieces. Especially Chinese metal seems sorta well represented.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back