chinese music, recommendations?
Mar 21, 2006 at 12:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

Rock&Roll Ninja

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm looking for some chinese language music thats available in America. Anything from folk to rock to rap would be appreciated, thanks.

Mar 21, 2006 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 32
Oh, I know Teresa Teng....

see how I caught Walmart selling pirated CDs

You can buy CDs from anywhere through the internet. You can check out yesasia.com for the best selection and they are based in California. It depends on what kind of Chinese music you want to listen to. For vintage 70s to early 90s Hong Kong pop, try hkvpradio.com

Mar 21, 2006 at 10:14 PM Post #5 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja
I'm looking for some chinese language music thats available in America. Anything from folk to rock to rap would be appreciated, thanks.

For folk vocal, try Song Zu Ying 's live recording "Concert in Sydney Opera House", it has an excellent program, outstanding performance, and wonderful recording. I really enjoy that. You can find it released on DVD and on CD.

Mar 22, 2006 at 1:54 AM Post #6 of 32
A New-age recommendation anyone?

The two Tibetan-themed albums by the Cantonese singer Dadawa, Sister Drum and Voice from the Sky should be easily available. These are intense, percussion-heavy works with soaring vocals. Quite nice, especially if you like the Enya/McKennitt style of music. Her earlier album, Yellow Children, is more intimate and emotionally devastating, but may be hard to find.

Mar 25, 2006 at 8:30 AM Post #7 of 32
So far my favourite is Jay Chow too.
But I don't know much about Chinese music though. But if you like R&B-ish style, then Jay Chow it is. I like his older works.

Mar 27, 2006 at 9:05 PM Post #8 of 32
i don't really like Jay Chou's never stuff, my friend played some of his newer stuff when we were in the car...and i just didn't like it.

i only like song's from his first album, the old school ones...Tornado, Cute Girl, Simple Love, etc.

Mar 31, 2006 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 32
+1 for Jay Chou and Andy Lau!

Mar 31, 2006 at 11:13 PM Post #10 of 32
The first two Jay Chou albums were ok, but everything after was crap. If you like that genre of music I recommend David Tao, Leehom Wong, Alan Kuo (sp?). Over all they are average, but still much better than the present Jay Chou.

I liked Andy Lau's earlier music better than his most recent works. IMHO you can definitely hear his voice getting weaker now. I bought his 2004 concert and he is having major problems keeping up now. Well, I guess age and being over worked will eventually catch up with you.

Anyway, I went home for spring break and my mom recommended me to some Taiwanese singers that I found interesting: Samuel Tai (though I think he's originally from HK), Sky Wu, Huang Pin Yuan (sp?), and Michael Kong Leung.

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 32
you can also check out yesasia.com. they have a pretty wide selection of mandarin, cantonese, japanese and korean music. i really liked jay chou's second and fourth album but got bored with november's chopin. starting to sound like everything else that he's done before.

others that i really like:
frankie - she has such a strong voice.
cyndi - i know. bubblegum pop but her cyndi loves you album was really well recorded and worth listening just for that.
the chairman - taiwanese indie rock. their latest album looking for a brand new world is a departure from their previous but my favorite so far.
nan quan mama - their first album was awesome but the second isn't too bad either, just more mainstream poppy sound
wu bai and china blue - more taiwanese rock but still one of my favs

edit: oops, soundboy already mentioned yesasia.com

Apr 1, 2006 at 11:51 AM Post #14 of 32
Maybe someone can help me out: Recently I saw a chinese band on TV playing a something like progressive rock or metal while using chinese instruments besides guitar and drums. Unfortunately they didn't say their name...

Apr 2, 2006 at 5:05 AM Post #15 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilDwarf
Maybe someone can help me out: Recently I saw a chinese band on TV playing a something like progressive rock or metal while using chinese instruments besides guitar and drums. Unfortunately they didn't say their name...

Many bands in mainland China do this sort of music, probably the most famous is Tang Dynasty (can't find an official web site for them). A Hong Kong band called DSC also does this stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back