Chinese headphone amp: Timester Audio
Apr 4, 2005 at 6:36 PM Post #46 of 52
Does using EL84's boost the power output for speakers? Also when it says 3.5W speaker output thats 'valve watts' so it's like 7-10 'Transistor watts'? Also does anybody know if there is alimit on headphone impedance?

Apr 4, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #47 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by RnB180
the one on ebay is raised to $200

but the pics show an actual USB input now,

thought the volatage is ghetto, they covered the 220 with a post it sticker and wrote 110 on it.

Makes me suspiscious if its really US voltage or the guy is just trying to move more units.

does anyone know what will happen if you plug a 220v tube amp into a 110 north american outlet?

the specs say 110/220, so i assume it's switchable.

Apr 4, 2005 at 10:22 PM Post #48 of 52
Quote:

Does using EL84's boost the power output for speakers? Also when it says 3.5W speaker output thats 'valve watts' so it's like 7-10 'Transistor watts'? Also does anybody know if there is alimit on headphone impedance?

3 watts is 3 watts no matter if it is transistor or tube watts.

what you DO gain with a tube amp and transformer output coupling is a more consistant load on the output stage because of the tranny so a tube amp rated for little power has the apparent power of a larger amp because the power is delivered evenly withing the limits of the transformer response.

also,you CAN run an EL-84 triode strapped but it is not a triode but a pentode tube and unless you parallel a serious quantity in a PP configuration (see Atma-Sphere amps) there will be an output transformer present

Apr 5, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #49 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinbios
the specs say 110/220, so i assume it's switchable.

Nope. In most cases, anyways. You need to specify with the manufacturer which one, so they can configure the transformer for you at the factory. I have two amps from China, both times I had to specify that they need to be 110V.

Better ask the seller to be sure before you place a bid.

Apr 5, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #50 of 52
I hope you all know that voltage converters do exist: http://www.voltageconverters.com/

I used that $13 one when i got my HE60/HEV70 until i ordered a 110V ac from Sennheiser. The converter worked flawlessly and i still have it sitting in my closet.

Apr 15, 2005 at 2:57 PM Post #51 of 52
Anyone have any more experience with the Timester tube head amps? I am particularly looking for more thoughts on the T-200. How's the DAC in the USB version. Also, anyone know how long it takes to ship from HK to New York?

thanks-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back