Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Dec 16, 2017 at 1:58 PM Post #13,831 of 33,689
Folks, I wanted to let you know that I’m going to be a lot less active with regards to IEMs for the foreseeable future.

I got both ears pierced with Daith piercings last week ago to relieve regular migraine headaches I’ve had since childhood. Besides taking a while to heal up, the piercings severely limit the type of IEMs and earbuds I can wear. Anything “ergonomic” that fills the ear is out, including things like KZ ZS-series for example.

Once everything is healed up, I’ll likely only be able to wear barrel type IEMs (and of course any headphone).

I thought long and hard about the decision, and in the end the trade off of having less or no migraines is well worth not being able to wear a huge % of IEMs.

I’ll still be around plenty, maybe just not participating in IEM threads as much unless it’s an IEM I can wear (ie I can’t evaluate an IEM that I can’t physically fit lol).

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:14 PM Post #13,832 of 33,689
FWIW once it's fully healed you'll absolutely still be able to wear big-bodied IEMs. Maybe not for hours at a time but it shouldn't be a problem.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #13,833 of 33,689
Folks, I wanted to let you know that I’m going to be a lot less active with regards to IEMs for the foreseeable future.

I got both ears pierced with Daith piercings last week ago to relieve regular migraine headaches I’ve had since childhood. Besides taking a while to heal up, the piercings severely limit the type of IEMs and earbuds I can wear. Anything “ergonomic” that fills the ear is out, including things like KZ ZS-series for example.

Once everything is healed up, I’ll likely only be able to wear barrel type IEMs (and of course any headphone).

I thought long and hard about the decision, and in the end the trade off of having less or no migraines is well worth not being able to wear a huge % of IEMs.

I’ll still be around plenty, maybe just not participating in IEM threads as much unless it’s an IEM I can wear (ie I can’t evaluate an IEM that I can’t physically fit lol).

Interesting. Never heard about this before. Good luck!

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:31 PM Post #13,834 of 33,689
FWIW once it's fully healed you'll absolutely still be able to wear big-bodied IEMs. Maybe not for hours at a time but it shouldn't be a problem.

Wow, that's really good to know.

I assume you know this because you somewhat resemble Pinhead in your avatar photo LOL?

Once I'm all healed, will I need to switch to something like a super small hoop or short barbell w/flat end (ie to be able to wear big-bodied IEMs again)?

Also, I rarely wear ANY IEM for more than 2 hours at a time anyways (not including wearing for sleeping ~1-2xs/week). So that's good to know.

I can easily fit a 'sleeping' sized IEM in now, like the MEMT X5 (even with the oversized barbell to accommodate swelling). The X5 is probably what I'll start with

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #13,836 of 33,689
Interesting. Never heard about this before. Good luck!

Me neither, until about a year ago.

I was going to try this (due to cheaper and easier), before moving onto Botox and/or nerve cut surgery (plastic surgeons were finding that after face lifts, patients no longer had migraines. So now some offer nerve cutting specifically for migraine relief (ie no plastic surgery).

Here's an interesting study on it: https://www.london-migraine-clinic....aith-Survey-Report-Version-2-EV1-24-10-17.pdf

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:42 PM Post #13,837 of 33,689
I was just reading that it could be 6 months for full healing so don't worry just be patient and don't irritate it now.

My wife claims that I am irritating.

Dec 16, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #13,839 of 33,689
But in six months you will stop being irritating right?

I make no promises

irritates-quote.jpg

Dec 16, 2017 at 4:51 PM Post #13,840 of 33,689
OK, so I cheated (what can I say I'm a stubborn man).

Even though I'm not fully healed up, I couldn't take the anticipation and had to try out the E-MI CI800 (C630) hybrids I got from Amazon last week for $9.99 shipped (a steal of a price). Thanks to the HFer who noticed the deal and passed it along, as they went lightning quick!

Besides them fitting fine with my piercing, these are EXCELLENT earphones. I mean EXCELLENT. Crystal clear mids, bright and crisp treble without being harsh or sibilant, and nicely detailed.

If KZ could capture the mids and treble from the E-MI CI800 (C630), and reproduce them in one of their IEMs, they would have a grand slam.

@B9Scrambler, @Vidal, @loomisjohnson and others have been raving about them for a while now, and I completely see why.

@mbwilson111 didn't like them that much, so they're not for everyone. But if you like a signature like the KZ ZS5 v1, 1More Triple, Pioneer CH9T, etc, you'll love these.

Folks, you really ought to pick up a pair of these to try before they are gone forever. They're known by a lot of names ('waterdrop' is the most common name I've seen on Aliexpress). Even at the "normal" price of $18-$20 they are worth every penny, but for under $10 I wish now that I had bought 3 pairs.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #13,841 of 33,689
OK, so I cheated (what can I say I'm a stubborn man).

Even though I'm not fully healed up, I couldn't take the anticipation and had to try out the E-MI CI800 (C630) hybrids I got from Amazon last week for $9.99 shipped (a steal of a price). Thanks to the HFer who noticed the deal and passed it along, as they went lightning quick!

Besides them fitting fine with my piercing, these are EXCELLENT earphones. I mean EXCELLENT. Crystal clear mids, bright and crisp treble without being harsh or sibilant, and nicely detailed.

If KZ could capture the mids and treble from the E-MI CI800 (C630), and reproduce them in one of their IEMs, they would have a grand slam.

@B9Scrambler, @Vidal, @loomisjohnson and others have been raving about them for a while now, and I completely see why.

@mbwilson111 didn't like them that much, so they're not for everyone. But if you like a signature like the KZ ZS5 v1, 1More Triple, Pioneer CH9T, etc, you'll love these.

Folks, you really ought to pick up a pair of these to try before they are gone forever. They're known by a lot of names ('waterdrop' is the most common name I've seen on Aliexpress). Even at the "normal" price of $18-$20 they are worth every penny, but for under $10 I wish now that I had bought 3 pairs.

You could not resist could you? Take care as you are not used to piercings and infections are all too common!
How's the bass on these? I like my XE800 but the lack of thump keeps me away from them unless it is for piano.

Dec 16, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #13,842 of 33,689
Wow, that's really good to know.

I assume you know this because you somewhat resemble Pinhead in your avatar photo LOL?

Once I'm all healed, will I need to switch to something like a super small hoop or short barbell w/flat end (ie to be able to wear big-bodied IEMs again)?

Also, I rarely wear ANY IEM for more than 2 hours at a time anyways (not including wearing for sleeping ~1-2xs/week). So that's good to know.

I can easily fit a 'sleeping' sized IEM in now, like the MEMT X5 (even with the oversized barbell to accommodate swelling). The X5 is probably what I'll start with

Haha I have my ears stretched, septum pierced, eyebrow, and I used to have snakebites in my lip and my nips done. I know my way around piercings a bit. At WORST the big shells will just feel awkward because there's a piece of metal under 'em. It won't hurt or anything.

Since you're doing it for migraine help, I would heavily recommend something like a curved barbell, standard screw-on beads should be fine since they'll be relatively out of the way.

Dec 16, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #13,843 of 33,689
You could not resist could you? Take care as you are not used to piercings and infections are all too common!
How's the bass on these? I like my XE800 but the lack of thump keeps me away from them unless it is for piano.

I only listened for ~20 minutes (so as not to push it with the piercing and risk irritation/infection like you mentioned). I really just wanted to make sure they work in case there was a problem, so I wouldn't fall outside of Amazon's return window. But in the amount of time I listened to them, there was a perfectly acceptable amount of bass and sub-bass for me (and I'm a basshead).

Granted, it's got a tad less bass/sub-bass as the ZS3 or ZS5, but it is a well-balanced amount that should more than please the average person IMO. I certainly don't consider it bass anemic!

I also did no tip rolling or anything else - literally took them out of the package and stuck them in my ears (making sure I had a good seal).

I will also mention that I only tested them with the xduoo X3 (EQ disabled) and FiiO E12A Mont Blanc (bass boost OFF). Perhaps if I tested them with a phone or a different source there may be different results. But I definitely give them my thumbs up.

Dec 16, 2017 at 8:29 PM Post #13,844 of 33,689
Haha I have my ears stretched, septum pierced, eyebrow, and I used to have snakebites in my lip and my nips done. I know my way around piercings a bit. At WORST the big shells will just feel awkward because there's a piece of metal under 'em. It won't hurt or anything.

Since you're doing it for migraine help, I would heavily recommend something like a curved barbell, standard screw-on beads should be fine since they'll be relatively out of the way.

Sounds cool man - if I wasn't in corporate IT I would have some ink etc. Although nowadays what's perfectly accepted in society/business world is WAY different than when I started working.

Thanks for the tips and info. I've made a note and will use your advice when the time comes, because I was kinda bummed at the thought of never listening to my large shelled IEMs again. Glad to know there's hope around the corner!

And so this stays on topic, I'm not only waiting on the Magaosi K5 to arrive any day, but also a BK50 (which I've always wanted) AND a BK35! I can't wait to check out some Magaosi goodness :)

Dec 16, 2017 at 9:00 PM Post #13,845 of 33,689
Sounds cool man - if I wasn't in corporate IT I would have some ink etc. Although nowadays what's perfectly accepted in society/business world is WAY different than when I started working.

Thanks for the tips and info. I've made a note and will use your advice when the time comes, because I was kinda bummed at the thought of never listening to my large shelled IEMs again. Glad to know there's hope around the corner!

And so this stays on topic, I'm not only waiting on the Magaosi K5 to arrive any day, but also a BK50 (which I've always wanted) AND a BK35! I can't wait to check out some Magaosi goodness :)

For sure brotha. I do legal work (independent contracting, but still, I'm in courthouses and junk a lot) and I'm not even the most inked or pierced out of us. The world's getting more progressive and it's cool. Only thing is my ears at 1" couldn't fit into headphones, had to drop down to 3/4!

I really wanna hear your K5 impressions. Hybrid setups seem to be the way things are headed but I'm curious what a pure BA arrangement can still do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back