Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 22, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #12,466 of 33,689
Moni One should be on that list as well. From reading the descriptions given on here I'm surprised you're including the CM5, I thought most people said it was quite bassy that's why I haven't ordered it.
Moni One not great IMO. Good detail yes but thin mids and an edgy treble.

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #12,467 of 33,689
Someone talk me out of my aversion to "modular" headphones.

I have this weird feeling that if a given headphone is $200 (for example) and it comes with all these filters, it's going to be a bit unfocused, where it could have picked a single sound and come out a lot better at the same price. It's what's keeping me away from the LZ A4 and the FLC8.

Oct 22, 2017 at 9:47 AM Post #12,468 of 33,689

I have this weird feeling that if a given headphone is $200 (for example) and it comes with all these filters, it's going to be a bit unfocused, where it could have picked a single sound and come out a lot better at the same price. It's what's keeping me away from the LZ A4 and the FLC8.

I understand your nervousness, but frankly the filters are more like a bass boost or treble cut than anything else. There's a reason soooooo many people just leave them on one set of filters..... I haven't changed filters in a week and I use the A4s on a daily basis... they sound spectacular for the price.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #12,469 of 33,689
I understand your nervousness, but frankly the filters are more like a bass boost or treble cut than anything else. There's a reason soooooo many people just leave them on one set of filters..... I haven't changed filters in a week and I use the A4s on a daily basis... they sound spectacular for the price.
Same here. Found my preferred setup and left them that way.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #12,470 of 33,689

Don't let that keep you away from the FLC. Can't speak to the A4 since I've never heard them, but I've got the 8S and it's nothing but excellent. Being able to slightly alter the signature is a nice bonus. There is a reason they come highly recommended and have a large following.

Oct 22, 2017 at 12:40 PM Post #12,471 of 33,689

+1

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:22 PM Post #12,472 of 33,689
I also noticed the UiiSii T8. Any experiences with those?
I have the uiisii t8 and t8s. Overall they are quite good for their price. The t8 has better lows while the t8s has better mids and soundstage with similar bass. The sound quality is definitely much better than other earphones in their price range. The kz zs5 for example sounded really bad when I compared them.

Oct 22, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #12,473 of 33,689
I have the uiisii t8 and t8s. Overall they are quite good for their price. The t8 has better lows while the t8s has better mids and soundstage with similar bass. The sound quality is definitely much better than other earphones in their price range. The kz zs5 for example sounded really bad when I compared them.

I thought the T8S weren't very good.

Oct 22, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #12,474 of 33,689
I thought the T8S weren't very good.
In my personal experience they are, I like them more than the normal t8. They have better soundstage and the bass doesn't bleed as much. For someone else with different preferences they might be worse. For me, they are my daily drivers for now, I try many different ones but can't find something better yet.

Oct 22, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #12,475 of 33,689

This makes no sense to me. You can "focus" them however you want within a certain range of their default signature.

Think of it like this. Take whatever IEM you like best. Now say you can unscrew the nozzle and screw on a different one that will attenuate the treble. Making them less bright. Or screw in one that will cut the treble and mids both a little, giving you a greater perceived bass response.

That's all it is. It's still the same earphone at its core.

Oct 22, 2017 at 7:54 PM Post #12,476 of 33,689
I was leary of the filters as being more of a gimmick than anything when I started out. I ended up with my first iem with filter nozzles in a trade deal where I wanted one of the other parts of the bundle. I started playing with them with the full intention of selling them off again. I was surprised at how much difference the filters made in some regards and how little difference in others. I expected the filters to really hurt the detail level and clarity and was surprised at how little impact they had on the signature in that regard. My other thought was that if they didn't hurt detail and clarity, they probably wouldn't alter the sound signature significantly either. Turns out I was wrong on that too. One of my pet peeves is people saying a filter "boosts" bass or "lifts" mids, filters never boost or lift anything, they cut. A filter cannot create something that is not already there, period. Simply put, filters cut certain frequencies to expose others that were not as prominent in the original signature.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2017 at 8:07 PM Post #12,477 of 33,689
Having quite a few Trinity Audio iems the sheer amount of filters got confusing, end up with one for each iem and don't change now

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:14 PM Post #12,478 of 33,689
on the Trinity IEMS, I am a gunmetal/green kinda guy. I don't use the others but do have a friend that swears by the silver (damped) filters for his.

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #12,479 of 33,689
One of my pet peeves is people saying a filter "boosts" bass or "lifts" mids, filters never boost or lift anything, they cut. A filter cannot create something that is not already there, period. Simply put, filters cut certain frequencies to expose others that were not as prominent in the original signature.
What about vent filters as opposed to nozzle filters? :p

Oct 22, 2017 at 8:28 PM Post #12,480 of 33,689
What about vent filters as opposed to nozzle filters? :p

Always a commodian in every bunch. Sorry for the toilet humor.

I will concede that vent filters are designed to obstruct airflow and can increase some frequencies..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back