Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jun 30, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #9,800 of 33,689
Well now those who have been around here a while will remember the QT5 debacle. Zhiyin is back with a budget IEM. Are they diversifying or is this how far they've fallen? Regardless it looks interesting and has MMCX cable and costs just $18.33.

Having been burnt by the QT5's I would say pass. Once bitten twice shy. But at this price???

Jun 30, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #9,802 of 33,689
Well now those who have been around here a while will remember the QT5 debacle. Zhiyin is back with a budget IEM. Are they diversifying or is this how far they've fallen? Regardless it looks interesting and has MMCX cable and costs just $18.33.

haha the QT5. Luckily I didn't jump on that hype train so I was spared.

So are those metal shells? And MMCX? For $18?

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #9,803 of 33,689
haha the QT5. Luckily I didn't jump on that hype train so I was spared.

So are those metal shells? And MMCX? For $18?

hype train.png

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #9,805 of 33,689
So, I've spent a few days with the Magosi K3 HD now and here are some initial impressions:

Build quality is really nice with all metal housing and the MMCX connectors seems very reliable.

There's two cables included and both are of great quality, one I believe is silver plated and it's slightly stiff but not a big problem. The other one is braided and very soft, I like it a lot. I'm not able to hear any sonic differences between the two. Since they're designed for over the ear usage microphonics are very low, especially with the copper cable.

I bought my pair from Penon so it was loaded with accessories but I believe my favorite tips that came with them are a part of the Magosi accessory pack. These tips are new to me but are among the best silicone tips I've ever seen (they remind me a bit of the MH1C tips), unfortunately they were only in two size in the package. There was also plenty of other tips included.

They're also very comfortable to me and has a low profile when placed on the ears.

I agreed to get a pair without the retail package so that I'd be able to get them before I left for my current vacation, so unfortunately no pics of the package but here's some other:

20170630_123134.jpg

20170626_182122.jpg

So, how do they sound?

First of all: they come with two different filters. The pre installed one was the bassy silver filters which I tried for about ten minutes and was pretty underwhelmed with, boomy mid bass and overall congested sound was my impression from them so I changed to the black filters and those have a much better balance to me so these impressions are with them.

The K3 HD is technically a very capable pair of IEM's that has great bass as well as excellent separation and detail retrieval.

To start with the bass it's probably the best bass I've ever heard in any IEM's. It reaches low and has excellent punch and impact, spot on for my preferences and my favorite part on the HD.

The midrange is slightly recessed but nothing alarming and although it's clean and clear it's a hit on the thin side for my preference. I'd have preferred a richer and fuller presentation.

The upper frequency are very similar to the midrange and hence also a bit thin and almost cold sounding. As a result of this they do also tend to show sibilance with some recordings.

All together this is a pretty good pair of IEM's and for music like Infected Mushroom or Gareth Emery they're absolutely amazing (as with pretty much all electronic music) but with acoustic instruments and vocal music they're too flat and lack some timbre and soul for my preference.

I'm sure that people who enjoy the little brother K1 as well as the PM4 from Trinity will love the K3 HD as they have clear similarities with those IEM's but are much more refined and enjoyable than both of them imo.

Please remember that these are initial impressions after only a few days of intensive listening and as always YMMV.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:49 PM Post #9,807 of 33,689
So, I've spent a few days with the Magosi K3 HD now and here are some initial impressions:
(...)
All together this is a pretty good pair of IEM's and for music like Infected Mushroom or Gareth Emery they're absolutely amazing (as with pretty much all electronic music) but with acoustic instruments and vocal music they're too flat and lack some timbre and soul for my preference.
(...)

Mmmm, gotta love the Infected Mushroom (which sounds amazing on the K3 Pro BTW)!

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #9,808 of 33,689
Aight. I'm not getting them right now, but I'm getting those goddam **** 6BA+1DD IEMs. This thread is all about the cheapies, but I really want to see what they're capable of on the higher end. So hang tight.

Jun 30, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #9,809 of 33,689
Jun 30, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #9,810 of 33,689
Aight. I'm not getting them right now, but I'm getting those goddam **** 6BA+1DD IEMs. This thread is all about the cheapies, but I really want to see what they're capable of on the higher end. So hang tight.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you won't be able to talk about them here. Ol' Easy is a banned seller 'round these parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back