Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:18 PM Post #6,616 of 7,153
You're most welcome!

These are bigger than the Sundaras and shorter than the Anandas :beyersmile:

The GLs are better than the Ananda in both tonality and especially in technicalities. These sound great on rock and metal where the Anandas were more polite and softer. :L3000:
What about female vocals specifically? Most Hifimans emphasize sibilance (Ss, Ts, Fs, etc) so my hope is that the GLs don't do that. But I imagine the Ananda has a more airy treble?

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:23 PM Post #6,617 of 7,153
Thanks for the fast response and feedback! Good to know GLs are a bit heftier for rock. How do they handle electronic and pop?

Also, any chance you could compare maybe to 6xx and DT 1990 Pro (decent references for comparison owing to their ubiquity in the headphone space).

You're most welcome!

Unfortunately I don't have those two headphones, but electronic and pop are the GLs jam! I've been flipping through many genres on Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify, the GLs played well with all of them including Neo Retro, Synthwave, power and symphonic metal.

The only negatives are the slightly recessed mids that affect vocals. I have also swapped pads from the leather to the included hybrid ones (cloth and ventilated leather) which added even more to the soundstage :beyersmile:

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #6,618 of 7,153
What about female vocals specifically? Most Hifimans emphasize sibilance (Ss, Ts, Fs, etc) so my hope is that the GLs don't do that. But I imagine the Ananda has a more airy treble?

You're right, the Anandas are airier and there is some sibilance but to a lower extent than the Hifimans headphones. :beyersmile:

Female vocals are ok and nothing to write about unfortunately! I'm already missing Tarja's powerful voice. :tired_face: I'd rate male vocals a 7 out of 10 and 6.5 for female vocals on the GLs.

Jan 14, 2021 at 3:47 PM Post #6,619 of 7,153
You're right, the Anandas are airier and there is some sibilance but to a lower extent than the Hifimans headphones. :beyersmile:

Female vocals are ok and nothing to write about unfortunately! I'm already missing Tarja's powerful voice. :tired_face: I'd rate male vocals a 7 out of 10 and 6.5 for female vocals on the GLs.
Oh well, thank you so much for the response. That is a little disappointing but I suppose it can't be amazing at everything :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #6,620 of 7,153
@MSA1133 how would you compare gl2000 to utopia? I suppose it has bigger soundstage and better extended bass. Do you have any experience with Audeze (lcd-2c/lcd-3 etc)? I was wondering if the bass closer to Audeze or more like on Ananda/Sundara?

I'm curious about gl2000 but don't know if I would have any use for it. Also potential build quality issues worry me. Zeos broke the cable...I know it happens, but it's still a bad sign. Also there is the problem with headband screw becoming loose and has to be tightened every now and then. The whole part where headband connects to the fork looks like it might not be durable. If there is loose steel screw that touches aluminium it might do unfixable damage over time. It's $600 not $60 headphone so it should not need weekly maintanence :)

Jan 14, 2021 at 4:43 PM Post #6,621 of 7,153
@MSA1133 how would you compare gl2000 to utopia? I suppose it has bigger soundstage and better extended bass. Do you have any experience with Audeze (lcd-2c/lcd-3 etc)? I was wondering if the bass closer to Audeze or more like on Ananda/Sundara?

I'm curious about gl2000 but don't know if I would have any use for it. Also potential build quality issues worry me. Zeos broke the cable...I know it happens, but it's still a bad sign. Also there is the problem with headband screw becoming loose and has to be tightened every now and then. The whole part where headband connects to the fork looks like it might not be durable. If there is loose steel screw that touches aluminium it might do unfixable damage over time. It's $600 not $60 headphone so it should not need weekly maintanence :)

The Utopias are in another level! Utopia has a smaller soundstage and leaner bass, but is faster, clearer, has better micro dynamics and vocals! :beyersmile:

The GLs are closer to the LCD-X with slightly recessed mids but better micro details, transients and layering. Imaging & bass is close.

No issues with QC for my pair, the steel screw on mine has a plastic ring that separates it from the aluminum on both ends. But plastic will harden and crumble with time, so I hope they're of the good quality type. :L3000:

Jan 14, 2021 at 5:14 PM Post #6,622 of 7,153
The Utopias are in another level!
Thanks! I needed that to calibrate the hypemeter :)

A headphone that has spaciousness of Ananda with bass similar to Audeze would be awesome. I don't like small soundstage and recessed upper mids of lcd-2c/lcd-3f or wimpy bass of Ananda.

Hopefully someone measures the double magnet version soon.

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:13 PM Post #6,623 of 7,153
You're most welcome!

Unfortunately I don't have those two headphones, but electronic and pop are the GLs jam! I've been flipping through many genres on Tidal, Qobuz and Spotify, the GLs played well with all of them including Neo Retro, Synthwave, power and symphonic metal.

The only negatives are the slightly recessed mids that affect vocals. I have also swapped pads from the leather to the included hybrid ones (cloth and ventilated leather) which added even more to the soundstage :beyersmile:

When you used the hybrid ones to increase the soundstage, did it come at the expense of anything else in terms of sound signature? (bass, etc.)

Jan 14, 2021 at 11:45 PM Post #6,624 of 7,153
When you used the hybrid ones to increase the soundstage, did it come at the expense of anything else in terms of sound signature? (bass, etc.)

Yeah, the low & mid bass were affected but not by much. The widened soundstage justified the slight hit in bass, for me at least. :beyersmile:

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:20 PM Post #6,627 of 7,153
Oh wow, just found a beautiful pairing for the GL2000s, and it's the new iBasso DX300. :beyersmile:

I've got the GLs burned in for more than 50 hours (I like to use my phones and allow my brain to get used to the signature too), now there is no slight sibilance. The vocals are still laid back a bit, female vocals are smooth but lack some heft, soundstage and transients didn't change. Since I changed the pads to the hybrids, bass is slightly softer when compared to the leather pads, so I can't quantify the changes, but it's still good. :gs1000smile:

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:37 PM Post #6,628 of 7,153
I believe ddHiFi DJ44C adapter from Linsoul or Amazon could help you.

Awesome. Thanks! I just ordered the GL2000 off Amazon. It's sold by Linsoul, so it's coming straight from them. The good part is, the restocking fee is less (20% vs 35% if bought directly from Linsoul) if returned, plus I don't have to worry about shipping it back to China. Thankfully they have a US warehouse for their Amazon orders.

As soon as I get it, I will detail my impressions, especially how it performs in music and gaming vs. the Fostex TH900

Jan 16, 2021 at 7:38 PM Post #6,629 of 7,153
Oh wow, just found a beautiful pairing for the GL2000s, and it's the new iBasso DX300. :beyersmile:

I've got the GLs burned in for more than 50 hours (I like to use my phones and allow my brain to get used to the signature too), now there is no slight sibilance. The vocals are still laid back a bit, female vocals are smooth but lack some heft, soundstage and transients didn't change. Since I changed the pads to the hybrids, bass is slightly softer when compared to the leather pads, so I can't quantify the changes, but it's still good. :gs1000smile:
Thank you for your continued impressions! When you say vocals are a bit laid back, what headphone are you comparing to / thinking about that is in relation to it and has the vocals just right for you?

Jan 16, 2021 at 10:07 PM Post #6,630 of 7,153
Thank you for your continued impressions! When you say vocals are a bit laid back, what headphone are you comparing to / thinking about that is in relation to it and has the vocals just right for you?

You’re most welcome!

I’m comparing them against the headphones that I usually rotate, HEDDphones, Aybss TC, Sendy Aivas and Campfire Cascades. :L3000:

I also connect all of them to multiple sources/dacs/amps such as the Chord stack, iBasso DX300, Kann Cube, Cayin N6ii and the iFi devices. Though, I haven’t tried the GL2000 on my Cayin Tube amp yet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back