Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Jan 13, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #6,601 of 7,153
Jan 13, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #6,603 of 7,153
How do they compare to other TOTL headphones like the Fostex TH900 or Denon 9200's? Are these planars V shaped from what you can tell?

Sorry I don't have those and haven't listened to them. :/

Crinacle has some graphs and comments in his unboxing:

https://crinacle.com/2020/12/28/gold-planar-gl2000-unboxing/

These graphs are for the single sided GL2000s, what I have are the double sided. All videos online are for the double sided too (BGGAR & ZReviews among others).

From what I can tell until now (still burning them in), they're much much better than what the graphs or what Crinacle mentioned in his quick review but are not the end-all-be-all that Zeos mentioned.

I'm finding myself in the middle between the two extremes, the hype guys and the "Meh" reviewer :beyersmile:

But I can agree on one thing now at least, these are an excellent, excellent value and a fantastic bang for your buck! :L3000:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #6,604 of 7,153
Sorry I don't have those and haven't listened to them. :/

These graphs are for the single sided GL2000s, what I have are the double sided. All videos online are for the double sided too (BGGAR & ZReviews among others).

From what I can tell until now (still burning them in), they're much much better than what the graphs or what Crinacle mentioned in his quick review but are not the end-all-be-all that Zeos mentioned.

I'm finding myself in the middle between the two extremes, the hype guys and the "Meh" reviewer :beyersmile:

But I can agree on one thing now at least, these are an excellent, excellent value and a fantastic bang for your buck! :L3000:

Wonder how do they compare to HFM Anandas and with a hipdac or something lower powered than a desktop setup... Am using sundaras with hipdac and got this on my radars... Thanks for your impressions in advance!

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #6,605 of 7,153
From what I have read, the gl2000 (to simplify a bit) sound like a high end planar headphone.
Good thing that segment is starting to come down in price.
Most likely would the extra magnet layer have the largest influence on the time spectra (damping), but I guess the extra layer might be in the way of the driver, and thus creating a different frequency response. They might be voiced with the dubble sided version in mind

Jan 14, 2021 at 9:29 AM Post #6,606 of 7,153
There might also be sample variances which is something we don't like to hear, but can still be problematic even with big boutique manufacturers like Hifiman or Audeze

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #6,607 of 7,153
Wonder how do they compare to HFM Anandas and with a hipdac or something lower powered than a desktop setup... Am using sundaras with hipdac and got this on my radars... Thanks for your impressions in advance!

The GL2000s sounds like an evolved Ananda. It has more weighty notes, about equal sound stage, but the layering and imaging is much better on the GLs!

Also the bass is pretty good too, it digs deep, has a nice slam/slap and is fast.

I also tried them on the Hip-Dac via balanced 4.4 (the GLs come with a default 4.4 balanced cable) and was surprised that the little guy powered them well. Not only in the volume level but powered the drivers enough to make it an enjoyable listen. :beyersmile: The XBass also added a nice physically felt rumble in the lower bass!

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:18 PM Post #6,608 of 7,153
The GL2000s sounds like an evolved Ananda. It has more weighty notes, about equal sound stage, but the layering and imaging is much better on the GLs!

Also the bass is pretty good too, it digs deep, has a nice slam/slap and is fast.

I also tried them on the Hip-Dac via balanced 4.4 (the GLs come with a default 4.4 balanced cable) and was surprised that the little guy powered them well. Not only in the volume level but powered the drivers enough to make it an enjoyable listen. :beyersmile: The XBass also added a nice physically felt rumble in the lower bass!

Ah that sounds good.. guess my plans for idsd signature or a better dac/amp can wait then.. I can get directly from taobao easily from my country.. :thumbsup: still looking forward to your full review!

Jan 14, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #6,609 of 7,153

Do you by any chance have the JDS Element 2? I wonder if they will sound well on mine when I get them, because in the official Linsoul page they recommend at least 2W.

Jan 14, 2021 at 1:41 PM Post #6,610 of 7,153
Do you by any chance have the JDS Element 2? I wonder if they will sound well on mine when I get them, because in the official Linsoul page they recommend at least 2W.

Unfortunately no, the lowest powered amp I tried them with was the hip-dac via balanced output which is rated at 400mW@32 Ohm and they were fine :beyersmile:

My benchmarks for power and dynamics were the Chord Hugo TT2 & A&K Kann Cube! The hip dac still made the GLs fun to listen to.

I'm currently plugging them into the Cayin N6ii A01 via balanced which is rated at 530mW@32 Ohm and the GLs are smoooooth detail monsters, so don't worry! :o2smile:

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:35 PM Post #6,612 of 7,153

This is really exciting to hear, thanks for taking the time to write this up. I'm a big fan of the Ananda's sound but unfortunately can't really stand the build - the particular shape of the earcup digs into my jaw and upper neck region.

How would you compare the GL2000 fit with the Ananda? It looks like of Sundara-like. Hopefully the cups are bigger than the Sundara, though, which are quite small imo.

In general, though, you think the Ananda and GL2000 are quite on par tonality- and technicalities-wise?

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6,613 of 7,153
This is really exciting to hear, thanks for taking the time to write this up. I'm a big fan of the Ananda's sound but unfortunately can't really stand the build - the particular shape of the earcup digs into my jaw and upper neck region.

How would you compare the GL2000 fit with the Ananda? It looks like of Sundara-like. Hopefully the cups are bigger than the Sundara, though, which are quite small imo.

In general, though, you think the Ananda and GL2000 are quite on par tonality- and technicalities-wise?

You're most welcome!

These are bigger than the Sundaras and shorter than the Anandas :beyersmile:

The GLs are better than the Ananda in both tonality and especially in technicalities. These sound great on rock and metal where the Anandas were more polite and softer. :L3000:

Jan 14, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #6,614 of 7,153
Wonder if this means it can compete against the Susvara.

I don't have Susvaras but I don't think the GL would be close. The Abyss 1266 is still better than the GLs technicality wise when powered well.

However, the GLs are making my Heddphones by HEDD worry! :beyersmile:

edit: Oh wow look at the time! It's practically midnight, I've been listening for four hours straight and time just flew by! These are comfortable phones :floatsmile:

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2021 at 3:16 PM Post #6,615 of 7,153
You're most welcome!

These are bigger than the Sundaras and shorter than the Anandas :beyersmile:

The GLs are better than the Ananda in both tonality and especially in technicalities. These sound great on rock and metal where the Anandas were more polite and softer. :L3000:

Thanks for the fast response and feedback! Good to know GLs are a bit heftier for rock. How do they handle electronic and pop?

Also, any chance you could compare maybe to 6xx and DT 1990 Pro (decent references for comparison owing to their ubiquity in the headphone space).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back