Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Mar 13, 2018 at 6:57 PM Post #3,122 of 7,153
Well, a fan of a format that I don't even know what to call (either clip on or ear clip headphone would work) I've been doing some searching as the Asian markets have been producing lovely earbuds, IEMs and headphones at inexpensive costs. Using Aliexpress, one of the brand names you'll run into quite often for this type is Shini, which at times they borrow the MDR naming habit from Sony. There are no hidden gems among them that I've tried so far, but if you stop looking for the next VE Monk or Vido, and just see how they perform for the cost, some of them are actually pretty enjoyable, while others are just what you'd expect.

Looking back at the old Joker portable headphone guide, you might remember reading about the Kanen KM-95 which shares the same format, and can occasionally be found on Aliex, my recent purchase of it running $3.25 shipped. Joker wasn't a fan of it, and neither was I finding it to have a fairly boring sound signature with a bit of veil, which shouldn't surprise given their middling scoring. For slightly less, I'm currently giving the Shini S-520 a try, which shares the same cable as the odd Moonbiffy earbuds (which cost $0.75 shipped) some of you might remember me mentioning a couple weeks back on the earbud threads. Now, these have a more fun signature, actually trying to reach into the sub-bass with a little help from EQ. The bass won't satisfy everyone, but remember these cost under $3 shipped. The mids aren't bad vs the bass, with vocals still being quite reasonable after a pretty hard bass EQ push using a Shanling M1 to drive. Treble doesn't really grab my attention on these, so I'll venture a guess that they're roughly neutral as I heard no indications of brightness so far. The cable has a one button mic included at the Y split which feels a bit far down for a mic, and also has a switch that goes between IP and NK (No Klue what it's referring to here). The cable itself terminates in not quite an L, so maybe 60 degrees or so with very little give on the strain relief that resulted in sound cutting out the moment I played with it on the left side. I should also mention that Left and Right are switched as my initial listen was on a game, so hopefully that's more of an isolated incident. All in all, assuming the faults are not commonplace, for $3 I really can't find much at fault with these unless you're really looking for some treble. They have a fun sound, have a mic which I never consider to be a bad thing, and if they die it didn't cost much.

If anyone can find any other ear clip headphones on Aliexpress or eBay, let me know and if it's inexpensive and not one I've already bought I'll give it a try. I see Ipsdi has a waterproof pair I may want to give a listen.

Mar 13, 2018 at 6:58 PM Post #3,123 of 7,153
I feel your dilemma brother, I have to hide mine when relatives visit lest they think me mad
Ha, ha. I was feeling down and depressed a couple of weeks ago and my wife tells me "Just go buy some headphones. That's what you do when you feel bad isn't it?". Didn't quite know how to answer lol!

Mar 13, 2018 at 7:08 PM Post #3,124 of 7,153
Maybe the build is more rugged than what it feels like. Because they feel pretty flimsy to me overall. I've had mine for a few months and it has held up, but then again they mostly sit on a peg when not in use.

As for sound, they have been graphed by many reviewers as having LOTS of treble energy. More than most headphones.

https://www.innerfidelity.com/images/SuperluxHD668B.pdf

From 60Hz on down the energy drops out like a rock leaving it with very little bass and no sub-bass or extension.

It has tons of mid energy from the 1K to 2K region with a big spike after 5K going even further up from there. After 10K the treble finally rolls off.

Here is rtings review of the superlux 668B as well a the DT 990 pro which are considered to be very painful in the treble region as well.

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/beyerdynamic/dt-990-pro

https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/superlux/hd-668b

The 668B has even more treble energy and 2K energy than the DT 990 pro which is overall poorly reviewed because of the harshness of the highes.

I am thinking that if the highes on yours isn't bothering you then either your unit is defective, or you aren't sensitive to it.

I have both the 681 (non Evo) and the 668B at my house, (668's were actually bought for my son as part of his gaming rig). I love the sound of the 681. It has great but not exaggerated sub bass and very forward treble (I'm an old rocker and have the hearing to match so the treble doesn't bother me). Compared to the 681, the 668B just seems like it is missing something.

Build quality is pretty much equal between the two, but they are much tougher than they seem. I throw mine (681) in my bag daily for work. Sometimes I use the nylon pouch they came with, but mostly I throw them in with the cables, pliers and screwdrivers I haul around as well. So far, not even a scratch.

Two mods so far, Senitek hybrid pads and a velcro cable tie on the steel headband superstructure to deaden the resonance it has. I like the sound with the stock pads better, but the Seniteks are much more comfortable. I have some othe pads coming to find out if I can get both good sound and comfort. I'll probably be pad rolling for a while...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #3,125 of 7,153
Totally Humble's fault there. Almost talked myself out of spending the money on the TH900, then this random post out of nowhere

Sorry I guess XD

But I have the mk2 not the mk1 which have some sound differences. Since they are an Asian brand I figured to post all that in here.

Mar 13, 2018 at 10:57 PM Post #3,126 of 7,153
my maratnz mph-2 already does not have those holes covered that you show in your tuning paper mod. all of them 100% are open. basically like after your mod is done.

Very interesting info. Good to know.

I guess it's always been assumed that all of the clones are 100% identical to one another. If the tuning paper is different, maybe there are other differences as well.

I'm hopefully going to be modding another member's Marantz MPH-2, so I will be able to tell what other (tuning) differences there might be between the Akai Project 50X and the Marantz MPH-2. Obviously the pads are different, so I'm talking about differences like cup vents, driver tuning, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:03 PM Post #3,127 of 7,153
i feel ya. im embarrassed by how many headphonesw i have and i hide them so my friends wont know that i have a problem :D

We feel your pain buddy...

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:06 PM Post #3,128 of 7,153
Ha, ha. I was feeling down and depressed a couple of weeks ago and my wife tells me "Just go buy some headphones. That's what you do when you feel bad isn't it?". Didn't quite know how to answer lol!

Uh-oh, that probably means she has her eyes on a new pair of shoes or perhaps a new handbag LOL

Mar 13, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #3,129 of 7,153
IMG_20180313_230847.jpg
Very interesting info. Good to know.

I guess it's always been assumed that all of the clones are 100% identical to one another. If the tuning paper is different, maybe there are other differences as well.

I'm hopefully going to be modding another member's Marantz MPH-2, so I will be able to tell what other (tuning) differences there might be between the Akai Project 50X and the Marantz MPH-2. Obviously the pads are different, so I'm talking about differences like cup vents, driver tuning, etc.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2018 at 11:29 PM Post #3,130 of 7,153

I wonder why it was added for the Akai Project 50X? Did they do it because they (someone) thought it sounded better, or did they do it to intentionally cripple the cheaper Project 50X variant of the clone (at 1/4 of the price of the more expensive variants).

Because the sound is definitely better with all of the holes open as shown in your photo.

BTW, I found the Brainwavz HM5 pads to be a significant step up in comfort vs the stock round pads. The sound is the same; it's just infinitely more comfortable. The pads are a perfect fit as well (and are available in different colors, angled vs non-angled, and multiple pad materials - sheepskin, protein leather, velour, and hybrid velour/protein leather).

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 12:12 AM Post #3,131 of 7,153
I wonder why it was added for the Akai Project 50X? Did they do it because they (someone) thought it sounded better, or did they do it to intentionally cripple the cheaper Project 50X variant of the clone (at 1/4 of the price of the more expensive variants).

Because the sound is definitely better with all of the holes open as shown in your photo.

BTW, I found the Brainwavz HM5 pads to be a significant step up in comfort vs the stock round pads. The sound is the same; it's just infinitely more comfortable. The pads are a perfect fit as well (and are available in different colors, angled vs non-angled, and multiple pad materials - sheepskin, protein leather, velour, and hybrid velour/protein leather).
My favorite pads for the Akai 50X is the HM5 hybrid...I've tried the 'stock' Lyxpro, Senitek cloth, and hybrid, and NVX Spt100 flats.
I stabbed my headphones with a teeny tiny screw driver over and over EXACTLY as @Slater said to do in his tutorial.
It seemed to make them a little less headphoney and closed ...maybe a little more natural in the mids? I suspect you're right about the drivers needing a more open environment because the more open the pads I used the better they sounded to me.

Mar 14, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #3,132 of 7,153
IMG_20180314_004538.jpg
Well just search the internet for Superlux 668B frequency response charts. They are all pretty similar in showing the high treble energy of them. There are more than a few youtube reviews of people saying they are really bright and for many unbearably so. Most people compare them with the DT 990, T90, and any grado. Despite that, there are people that do like that sound signature or those wouldn't sell at all.
i dont wanna be the guy who just cant let it go. but right now im ABXing between 668B and Sonus Faber Pryma 01 (it is not broken in as I have less than 2 hours on it) which is kinda famous for having rolled off highs and 668B definitely has less treble which is really nice. i prefer the 668B sound. and the bass is scary good for anything under 100

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 12:44 AM Post #3,133 of 7,153

I use the HM5 Pleather rounds. I used the oval Hybrids for quite a while, once I decided to switch to the Rounds I found I was losing bass with the Hybrids

Mar 14, 2018 at 1:15 AM Post #3,134 of 7,153
My favorite pads for the Akai 50X is the HM5 hybrid...I've tried the 'stock' Lyxpro, Senitek cloth, and hybrid, and NVX Spt100 flats.
I stabbed my headphones with a teeny tiny screw driver over and over EXACTLY as @Slater said to do in his tutorial.
It seemed to make them a little less headphoney and closed ...maybe a little more natural in the mids? I suspect you're right about the drivers needing a more open environment because the more open the pads I used the better they sounded to me.
just now after reading your post i put the Brainwavz angled memory foam on them, it cleaned up the boomy bass a bit. so less bass that bleeds into mids and more clarity and resolution. the pads will stay there for now. funny thing as i had the ZMF ovals on it earlier and it made it worse. i see noe pattern here its just radom how there pads affect sound.

Lol sorry Amor attaching so many pictures. There is something funny when the pads cost more than the headphone. I myself always make fun of the people whose cables were worth more than the speakers and compared it to tires choosing more than the car :)IMG_20180314_011649.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2018 at 4:04 AM Post #3,135 of 7,153

I also said before that hm5 pleather was what I found to be the best on my Akai 50x as well. I have a pair of dark red ones from an Amazon lightning sale. The red makes it look better too.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back