Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 4, 2021 at 5:15 AM Post #33,316 of 33,689
Oct 4, 2021 at 12:45 PM Post #33,318 of 33,689
I think it was LZ, right? (forgot the model)

LZ A4 but also FLC8s, KZ ED9 & GR and I believe Winintone RG-EB601 too, all came before the 9T. This for the chinese brands I am aware of. Non-chinese there is more, RHA T10 & T20, Echobox Finder & Nomad, Rock Jaw Alpha Genus V2 as well as (all?) Trinity IEMs, Accutone Gemini HD (might be chinese, not sure). Etymotic ER series IEMs are probably the oldest with a nozzle based tuning system I would guess (acoustic impedance filters to be purchased separately from the IEMs however in this case).

Oct 4, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #33,319 of 33,689
Haha, that person was me. :wink::thumbsup:

I still highly recommend them, but I just can't get the seller to sell them through Aliexpress, Penon Audio, or other overseas online stores since they're so new at trying to market their own products. Unfortunately, the only way to get them is through their Taobao online store or other partner Taobao stores from China. Even though they do deliver globally from their own store, unless you know Chinese, the other possible way to get them is through an agent from Taobao that will order them and get them delivered for you.

But, I still hold in high regards the BFB Larks as one of the best sounding budget IEM's by far this year and are right up there with my top five best sounding hybrids and tribrids. Right now, it is a stellar budget IEM for the their low asking price in China with positive reviews growing as fast as they're being sold.

So far, they've made three in-ear earphones.

BFB Amazing
BFB Lark
BFB Nightingale

...and soon, a fourth one with BA Armatures.

PS. No need to be suspicious, I just like to keep people informed of what goes on with some of the latest Chinese made IEM's here in China.

-Clear :handshake:

[Got a pair of BFB Larks]

Well I managed to find them on Shopee (I live in Asia) and they were delivered just now.

They really do come with a lot, a nice case, a useful tin, 6 tips (wide and narrow bores), and a pair of foams. They're pretty hefty for a bullet, very solid. The cable is nice too, doesn't tangle but quite a lot of microphonics.

Now I'm very inexperienced when it comes to audio. I cannot accurately pick out things like other people on here can. Mid bass bleed, what is that? What I can notice is the general balance (bass, treble) and how 'detailed' they sound and how-far-away-the-music-feels-like-it's-coming-from (HFATMFLICF).

The only other things I can compare these with are my Blon BL03's, MH755 (but not yet, doing MMCX mod), and M40x. I'll do a comparison with the Blons in a bit, but first impressions are they seem pretty good. Bear in mind I've listened to Aria's once and thought they were just OK. I've tried about 5 or so sub $200 IEMs and thought they were all OK, nothing's really blown me away. Actually thinking about it I have tried some more expensive IEMs like the JVC HA-FD01, again it felt like a step above but not amazing. This is maybe because I don't use, and never have used, a quality external amp/DAC. I just my non-LG non-Asus phone's 3.5mm out. I've always preferred my M40x's, even to that JVC. So, I'm not sure this 'review' is even gonna be useful to the majority of people on here.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2021 at 6:49 PM Post #33,320 of 33,689
[Got a pair of BFB Larks]

Well I managed to find them on Shopee (I live in Asia) and they were delivered just now.

They really do come with a lot, a nice case, a useful tin, 6 tips (wide and narrow bores), and a pair of foams. They're pretty hefty for a bullet, very solid. The cable is nice too, doesn't tangle but quite a lot of microphonics.

Now I'm very inexperienced when it comes to audio. I cannot accurately pick out things like other people on here can. Mid bass bleed, what is that? What I can notice is the general balance (bass, treble) and how 'detailed' they sound and how-far-away-the-music-feels-like-it's-coming-from (HFATMFLICF).

The only other things I can compare these with are my Blon BL03's, MH755 (but not yet, doing MMCX mod), and M40x. I'll do a comparison with the Blons in a bit, but first impressions are they seem pretty good. Bear in mind I've listened to Aria's once and thought they were just OK. I've tried about 5 or so sub $200 IEMs and thought they were all OK, nothing's really blown me away. Actually thinking about it I have tried some more expensive IEMs like the JVC HA-FD01, again it felt like a step above but not amazing. This is maybe because I don't use, and never have used, a quality external amp/DAC. I just my non-LG non-Asus phone's 3.5mm out. I've always preferred my M40x's, even to that JVC. So, I'm not sure this 'review' is even gonna be useful to the majority of people on here.
Yea, for the price, they can't be beat. The detachable cables can easily be swapped for better ones, since the ones that come with them does have microphonics. Though, that can be easily fixed with the included shirt clip attachment. The main picture here is how it manages to match and compete with most of my higher tier of IEM's I've reviewed during the years and how they can be purchased at a fraction of the many expensive one's that I personally own. Finally, they truly perform much higher then their price point when external AMP/DAC is added and you'll definitely clearly hear the benefits of the hi-end sound quality they are capable of demonstrating. In my book, they are 6mm micro DD's that sound like a mature beast and shouldn't have no business in belonging at such low price bracket.

Glad you liked them!...and I hope you get to try them with an AMP/DAC.

-Clear :thumbsup:

Oct 5, 2021 at 2:00 AM Post #33,321 of 33,689
thanks for the reply guys. this thread is pretty cool

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2021 at 2:01 AM Post #33,322 of 33,689
Hi Bryan, fancy seeing you here!

For me, my current one is the Audiosense DT300. I also reviewed the DT600 but something about that uncolored reference neutral on the DT300 makes me absolutely go crazy for it.

DT300 is a fantastically resolving set though, with excellent soundstage. Great for ~180$
thanks for the reply. I have not tried the DT300 / DT600 brothers. Hoping to try them one day. My friend, @ywheng89 seems to like them both very much!

Oct 5, 2021 at 4:06 AM Post #33,323 of 33,689
thanks for the reply. I have not tried the DT300 / DT600 brothers. Hoping to try them one day. My friend, @ywheng89 seems to like them both very much!
I've not tried the DT300 but yes, i like both the DT200 and 600 a lot! Haha

Oct 5, 2021 at 5:42 AM Post #33,324 of 33,689
I forgot to post this new IEM here, TKZK Wave. Hybrid set-up

20211004_145041.jpg

20211004_151121.jpg

Oct 5, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #33,325 of 33,689
Bamboo Forest Bird Larks (竹林鳥百靈)

So thoughts on the BFB Larks, comparing them with BLON BL03s. My first ever review/comparison. I'm using the same MH775 large tips on both as they fit me well. Bear in mind that my ears can't pick out specific things unlike most of you guys on here. I can only describe the broader features. I'm also just listing from my 2016 MBP 13's 3.5mm jack. No external amp/DAC. I'm also just sourcing music from watching Youtube videos, which is what I usually do.

Listening to older rock tracks first, Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell and Paradise by the Dashboard Light. The BLONs are much better here. Music sounds full, instruments and vocals are similar loudness. The Larks by comparison feel very thin and shrill. Vocals are just as loud as on the BLONs but the instruments just can't be heard as much which makes vocals sound a bit shrill. Also on the Larks, vocals sound like they're directly in the middle of your head. Vocals with the BLONs sound wider.

On to newer, better produced stuff. I listened to Wild Blue by John Mayer. This is a particularly bass heavy track and I find a lot of bass centric IEMs make this sounded very bloated and muddy. The BLONs do exactly this. The Larks sound more precise, clearer. Larks win here.

Havana by Camila Cabello. A much less bassy song, although still modern pop. BLONs sound less bloated here, but still slightly unpleasantly muddy. The Larks sound more precise and clearer. I realised here that the Larks' sound is narrower, more in your head (smaller soundstage?). Everything feels like it's in the center of your head. The BLONs feel like the music is right next to your ears. I slightly prefer that. Overall, I slightly preferred the Larks here.

Something a bit more country, but modern, well produced. Beautiful Stranger by the Marcus King Band. The Larks sounded weird here. Thin. Guitar was very sharp, loud, a little shrill. Vocals thin and comparatively recessed. BLONs feel fuller and more balanced. You can probably see a trend by now. Switching to a cover of Summertime by Billy Strings and Marcus King. BLON sounds fuller. Larks sound thinner and narrower. Vocals are sound a bit thin on the Larks.

On to some female vocals. Carey by Joni Mitchell. Instruments on the BLONs sound much more separated. But too separated. On of the guitars on the left channel sounds too distance. The Larks smaller soundstage(?) brings the instruments closed and it feels more cohesive. Larks are better here. Juice Newton, Angel of the Morning. An older classic. Larger soundstage of the BLONs sound perfect here. A nice and full musical sound. Larks sound good, more precise I guess. But BLONs are my preference here.

Trying something different. Where Do You Go to my Lovely - Peter Sarstedt. The best quality video on Youtube is very low quality. The BLONs sound bad here. Bloated, hissy. The Larks, much much better. I hardly listen to recordings this bad so I'm not considering this in my final verdict.

Lastly, Fernando by ABBA. BLONs, nice and full. Larks, thinner, narrower, more clinical. Well, by now I'm getting tired of typing and swapping earphones and tips. You are, of reading probably too.

Conclusion

Overall, for older songs. BLONs, more musical, made me enjoy the music more. Newer, better produced, bass heavy songs - BFB Larks. BLONs sound wider, Larks sound narrower. I can't pick out any differences in 'detail retrieval' or anything analytical like that. Perhaps I've not trained my ears enough for that. Perhaps these details don't become apparent until you listen to higher bit rate recordings with quality external amps and DACs. I don't really know.

Other than sound, they're both equally comfortable in the ear. The BLONs just needed bigger tips. They both insert to the same depth, although I thought the Larks would go deeper given their bullet design, but the connecter sticking out prevents that. The Lark cable is much better in feel and construction, but the microphonics are the worst I've felt in any IEM that I've tried. So despite tangling easily, the BLON cable wins out here.

I learnt a couple of things. Firstly, I didn't expect my preferences to change so much from song to song, even in the same genre. Just shows how it really depends on what you're listening to. Lastly and I think most importantly, it's also got to be said that once I listened to either for a longer period of time, all the differences or apparent faults just kind of disappeared. My ears/brain just adjusted to the sound. I'm sure this is because they're both of similar quality. The same probably can't be said comparing one of these to a $1K+ IEM.

In comparison to my headphones, my M40x's, it's just a completely different story. The M40x's feel full and detailed at the same time. All the energy and musicality of the BLONs without every getting muddy like the BLONs sometimes do. All the detail and 'crispness' of the Larks without their lack of fullness. You get the picture. They sound airier, more instrument separation without them ever feeling distant. Perhaps the best thing is that, unlike these IEMs, the M40x's feel consistently enjoyable. No matter what I listen to, they make me feel it. I think I just prefer headphones.

Anyway, there you go.

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 12:59 AM Post #33,326 of 33,689
Bamboo Forest Bird Larks (竹林鳥百靈)

So thoughts on the BFB Larks, comparing them with BLON BL03s. My first ever review/comparison. I'm using the same MH775 large tips on both as they fit me well. Bear in mind that my ears can't pick out specific things unlike most of you guys on here. I can only describe the broader features. I'm also just listing from my 2016 MBP 13's 3.5mm jack. No external amp/DAC. I'm also just sourcing music from watching Youtube videos, which is what I usually do.

Listening to older rock tracks first, Meatloaf, Bat out of Hell and Paradise by the Dashboard Light. The BLONs are much better here. Music sounds full, instruments and vocals are similar loudness. The Larks by comparison feel very thin and shrill. Vocals are just as loud as on the BLONs but the instruments just can't be heard as much which makes vocals sound a bit shrill. Also on the Larks, vocals sound like they're directly in the middle of your head. Vocals with the BLONs sound wider.

On to newer, better produced stuff. I listened to Wild Blue by John Mayer. This is a particularly bass heavy track and I find a lot of bass centric IEMs make this sounded very bloated and muddy. The BLONs do exactly this. The Larks sound more precise, clearer. Larks win here.

Havana by Camila Cabello. A much less bassy song, although still modern pop. BLONs sound less bloated here, but still slightly unpleasantly muddy. The Larks sound more precise and clearer. I realised here that the Larks' sound is narrower, more in your head (smaller soundstage?). Everything feels like it's in the center of your head. The BLONs feel like the music is right next to your ears. I slightly prefer that. Overall, I slightly preferred the Larks here.

Something a bit more country, but modern, well produced. Beautiful Stranger by the Marcus King Band. The Larks sounded weird here. Thin. Guitar was very sharp, loud, a little shrill. Vocals thin and comparatively recessed. BLONs feel fuller and more balanced. You can probably see a trend by now. Switching to a cover of Summertime by Billy Strings and Marcus King. BLON sounds fuller. Larks sound thinner and narrower. Vocals are sound a bit thin on the Larks.

On to some female vocals. Carey by Joni Mitchell. Instruments on the BLONs sound much more separated. But too separated. On of the guitars on the left channel sounds too distance. The Larks smaller soundstage(?) brings the instruments closed and it feels more cohesive. Larks are better here. Juice Newton, Angel of the Morning. An older classic. Larger soundstage of the BLONs sound perfect here. A nice and full musical sound. Larks sound good, more precise I guess. But BLONs are my preference here.

Trying something different. Where Do You Go to my Lovely - Peter Sarstedt. The best quality video on Youtube is very low quality. The BLONs sound bad here. Bloated, hissy. The Larks, much much better. I hardly listen to recordings this bad so I'm not considering this in my final verdict.

Lastly, Fernando by ABBA. BLONs, nice and full. Larks, thinner, narrower, more clinical. Well, by now I'm getting tired of typing and swapping earphones and tips. You are, of reading probably too.

Conclusion

Overall, for older songs. BLONs, more musical, made me enjoy the music more. Newer, better produced, bass heavy songs - BFB Larks. BLONs sound wider, Larks sound narrower. I can't pick out any differences in 'detail retrieval' or anything analytical like that. Perhaps I've not trained my ears enough for that. Perhaps these details don't become apparent until you listen to higher bit rate recordings with quality external amps and DACs. I don't really know.

Other than sound, they're both equally comfortable in the ear. The BLONs just needed bigger tips. They both insert to the same depth, although I though the Larks would go deeper given their bullet design, but the connecter sticking out prevents that. The Lark cable is much better in feel and construction, but the microphonics are the worst I've felt in any IEM that I've tried. So despite tangling easily, the BLON cable wins out here.

I learnt a couple of things. Firstly, I didn't expect my preferences to change so much from song to song, even in the same genre. Just shows how it really depends on what you're listening to. Lastly and I think most importantly, it's also got to be said that once I listened to either for a longer period of time, all the differences or apparent faults just kind of disappeared. My ears/brain just adjusted to the sound. I'm sure this is because they're both of similar quality. The same probably can't be said comparing one of these to a $1K+ IEM.

In comparison to my headphones, my M40x's, it's just a completely different story. The M40x's feel full and detailed at the same time. All the energy and musicality of the BLONs without every getting muddy like the BLONs sometimes do. All the detail and 'crispness' of the Larks without their lack of fullness. You get the picture. They sound airier, more instrument separation without them ever feeling distant. Perhaps the best thing is that, unlike these IEMs, the M40x's feel consistently enjoyable. No matter what I listen to, they make me feel it. I think I just prefer headphones.

Anyway, there you go.
Curious, what kind of ear tips for the Lark did you decide to go with on your review? The LARK's come with a set of small, medium, large "wide-bore" white silicone ear tips, "narrow-bore" black/red silicone ear tips, and one set of "foam type" ear tips.

Which one did you use for the LARK's? :thinking:
1) The white "wide-bore" silicone ear tips
2) The black/red "narrow-bore" silicone ear tips
3) The "foam-type" ear tips

The reason I ask is because it could make the difference on how you hear what you're listening to -stage, image, separation, bass, clarity, etc...

-Clear

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 1:07 AM Post #33,327 of 33,689
Curious, what kind of ear tips for the Lark did you decide to go with on your review? The LARK's come with a set of "wide-bore" white silicone ear tips, "narrow-bore" black/red silicone ear tips, and I believe one "foam type" ear tips. Which one did you use for the LARK's?

-Clear

I tried both the white/clear wide bores and the standard dark grey ones. I really couldn't tell a difference between them and the wide bores felt flimsier in the ear. In the end the larger MH755 tips were used as these gave a better seal.

Oct 6, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #33,328 of 33,689
I tried both the white/clear wide bores and the standard dark grey ones. I really couldn't tell a difference between them and the wide bores felt flimsier in the ear. In the end the larger MH755 tips were used as these gave a better seal.
Yea, those will create a narrow soundstage on the LARK's.
You, can try purchasing better aftermarket wide-bore silicone ear tips. They will definitely make the difference on a bigger stage presence for you.

For the detachable cable:
You can easily purchase better MMCX budget cables for the LARK, since the price of the LARK's are a third of the BLON's price.

These little upgrades will make the difference on a much more listening enjoyment for the LARK's. :yum::thumbsup:

-Clear

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2021 at 4:57 AM Post #33,329 of 33,689
Yea, those will create a narrow soundstage on the LARK's.
You, can try purchasing better aftermarket wide-bore silicone ear tips. They will definitely make the difference on a bigger stage presence for you.

For the detachable cable:
You can easily purchase better MMCX budget cables for the LARK, since the price of the LARK's are a third of the BLON's price.

These little upgrades will make the difference on a much more listening enjoyment for the LARK's. :yum::thumbsup:

-Clear

Yeah I'll try to find some wide bores. Do you know of any by any chance that fit the Larks well? I probably need large given the large wide bores that come with the Larks were slightly too small.

I did have a cheap MMCX cable lying around and that fixed the microphonics.

Oct 6, 2021 at 5:36 AM Post #33,330 of 33,689
Yeah I'll try to find some wide bores. Do you know of any by any chance that fit the Larks well? I probably need large given the large wide bores that come with the Larks were slightly too small.

I did have a cheap MMCX cable lying around and that fixed the microphonics.
You can try these two stores on Aliexpress.com at the links below...

1) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000284647431.html

2) https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32945211096.html?

The large size looks pretty wide in size (15mm) and are pretty cheap in price, too!

Glad to help...:handshake:

-Clear

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back