Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 26, 2020 at 4:35 PM Post #32,266 of 33,689
The Smabat Black Bat, which I have, is a heavy duty bass monster. 'Mostly' the bass doesn't bleed, but on some looser recordings it does. There is an IEM by OPENHEART Resin MMCX on AliExpress that has what, may or may not, be the same IEM for half the price. I have ordered it to find out and should have it in a week or so. The Black Bat will blow your head off.

looking forward to your review of the openhearts as I am on a tight budget/leash from the master... =P

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #32,267 of 33,689

It would want to be for that price! Ouch. They're pretty good but I can't help but feel KZ EDX and Blon BT3 are about as good for that price (considerably less in the case of the EDX), with the advantage of not having to worry about fakes.

Oct 26, 2020 at 6:11 PM Post #32,268 of 33,689
I may be very wrong, but I have the feeling of not having many headphones on the market with a very detailed and neutral sound signature. This in any price range.

I have been researching things about sound for a short time and maybe I have the wrong view.

It is so cool to hear the sound/music as it is and observe its details.

The problem is that "neutral" sound often comes across as "boring" and bass-light. The Tin T2 is a prime example. For everyone who raves about it as a budget IEM with a neutral signature, there are 2 people who say it's overrated and boring.

Oct 26, 2020 at 8:52 PM Post #32,269 of 33,689
I may be very wrong, but I have the feeling of not having many headphones on the market with a very detailed and neutral sound signature. This in any price range.

I have been researching things about sound for a short time and maybe I have the wrong view.

A lot of consumers prefer V shaped or harmanish tunings, so a lot of budget segment CHIFI are tuned to these curves as such.

Neutral stuff may come across as boring as @Tonymac136 says, as it isn't coloured in the bass especially. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. Personally I'm not a fan of neutral stuff cause I am a basshead, but I do use neutral gear for stage monitoring sometimes, so as not to colour the music.

If u are looking for some cheapish neutralish CHIFI, u can read about the Tin T2 (non pro, non plus), CVJ CS8, HZSound Heart Mirror, BQEYZ KB2, Audiosense DT200.

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:29 PM Post #32,270 of 33,689

yup, like @Tonymac136 and @baskingshark have mentioned, as i see it most consumers in the lower/budget price bracket are somewhat similar to buying food: they prefer more extra flavoring simulations than the real texture and taste of the main ingredient....more sugar and cream on the coffee, extra sauce and ketchup, etc

so extra level of bass and extra bite on the treble is more enjoyable because it gives extra sensations. same with visuals, i see most average consumers love extra color saturations.. short burst of hyper-stimulations..

they also prefer more bass because casual listeners usually use their earphones to enjoy music in a more common day to day situations, like busy streets, commuting, and other more noisy situations.

i mostly like neutral tunings, but i also love rattling bass and sparkly treble for some types of music and most common scenarios.. watching blockbuster movies and playing games are just not enjoyable with neutral tunings :sweat_smile:

so maybe it comes down to the size of the demand? because even the most "audiophile" would still enjoy and need some V-shaped tunings, just like even the most food critic can still enjoy fast food burgers sometime

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #32,271 of 33,689
If u are looking for some cheapish neutralish CHIFI, u can read about the Tin T2 (non pro, non plus), CVJ CS8, HZSound Heart Mirror, BQEYZ KB2, Audiosense DT200.

KBEar F1, Audiosense T180, Moondrop SSR, QKZ VK4 also

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #32,272 of 33,689
KBEar F1, Audiosense T180, Moondrop SSR, QKZ VK4 also

I heard KBEAR F1 has a possibility different drivers though, like 4 or so? So are they all neutralish or is the sound signature affected with different drivers?

Oct 26, 2020 at 9:55 PM Post #32,273 of 33,689
I heard KBEAR F1 has a possibility different drivers though, like 4 or so? So are they all neutralish or is the sound signature affected with different drivers?

Yes, there’s different drivers, and 2 of them have a more low end. So the F1 is kinda a crapshoot. You may get lucky or you may not. Think of it like an IEM fukubukuro lucky bag...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 10:05 PM Post #32,274 of 33,689
Yes, there’s different drivers, and 2 of them have a more low end. So the F1 is kinda a crapshoot. You may get lucky or you may not. Think of it like an IEM fukubukuro lucky bag...

Thanks for letting the cat out of the lucky bag!

Haha, I always thought the title of legit lucky bag (or rather lucky box), is the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014, what with the noble metal vs beryllium driver! Seems they have a competitor mystery lucky bag here. Not to mention lucky bag for QC too.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2020 at 12:19 AM Post #32,276 of 33,689
A lot of consumers prefer V shaped or harmanish tunings, so a lot of budget segment CHIFI are tuned to these curves as such.

Neutral stuff may come across as boring as @Tonymac136 says, as it isn't coloured in the bass especially. Different strokes for different folks, as they say. Personally I'm not a fan of neutral stuff cause I am a basshead, but I do use neutral gear for stage monitoring sometimes, so as not to colour the music.

Yes, yes. True. I'll even test one HZSound Heart Mirror. There must be plenty of options without being CHIFI also.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:20 AM Post #32,277 of 33,689
yup, like @Tonymac136 and @baskingshark have mentioned, as i see it most consumers in the lower/budget price bracket are somewhat similar to buying food: they prefer more extra flavoring simulations than the real texture and taste of the main ingredient....more sugar and cream on the coffee, extra sauce and ketchup, etc

so extra level of bass and extra bite on the treble is more enjoyable because it gives extra sensations. same with visuals, i see most average consumers love extra color saturations.. short burst of hyper-stimulations..

they also prefer more bass because casual listeners usually use their earphones to enjoy music in a more common day to day situations, like busy streets, commuting, and other more noisy situations.

i mostly like neutral tunings, but i also love rattling bass and sparkly treble for some types of music and most common scenarios.. watching blockbuster movies and playing games are just not enjoyable with neutral tunings :sweat_smile:

so maybe it comes down to the size of the demand? because even the most "audiophile" would still enjoy and need some V-shaped tunings, just like even the most food critic can still enjoy fast food burgers sometime

Your example was very good haha

I really like a detailed sound, but if it were to add something more, it would be a little bit of bass.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:29 AM Post #32,278 of 33,689
Your example was very good haha

I really like a detailed sound, but if it were to add something more, it would be a little bit of bass.

Detailed doesn't necessarily have to mean neutral either. And neutral doesn't necessarily mean sounding natural, true-to-life or realistic. It's important to keep in mind that the shape of the frequency response only reflects one aspect of an IEM.

Oct 27, 2020 at 12:33 AM Post #32,279 of 33,689
Detailed doesn't necessarily have to mean neutral either. And neutral doesn't necessarily mean sounding natural, true-to-life or realistic. It's important to keep in mind that the shape of the frequency response only reflects one aspect of an IEM.

That's true, in fact a lot of budget sets try to game the system by boosting the upper mids/treble to boost clarity and give a "perceived" sense of more details.

There's some monitor like IEMs that are actually darker in tuning, but they still retain good microdetails. So sometimes good tuning and implementation can still give good details without resorting to the above "cheat code", but they generally cost more than the budget segment V shaped sets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back