Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Mar 23, 2018 at 5:41 PM Post #14,941 of 33,689
My AAW Nebula 1's were about $100...many of my KZs sound better to me. That's the problem with dropping $100 or $200 a pop on IEMs...you don't know if you are going like them. Of course, you can always send them back, but one could prolly send KZs back, too. Plus, part of the fun for many KZ enthusiasts is tinkering with their sound (and then wondering why KZ didn't do that in the first place!).

Agreed, I also think a lot of people are wealthy enough to experiment with buying a new €100+ IEM every month or couple of months and it's still possible to get a doozie, you can't say that every $100+ IEM they buy is gonna be perfect. I'm not one of those people who can afford to do that.

I just find it's much cheaper to experiment with Chinese IEMs, and keep my hobby from making me skint every month. What's the point of only say buying one $100+ IEM a year maybe, like where's the fun in that? A hobby is meant to be exciting and enjoyable, it's hard to get excited when you're forced to eat only toast and eggs for 2-3 months because you bought an IE80 or some CIEM.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2018 at 5:50 PM Post #14,942 of 33,689
Thats similar to the vibes that I'm getting from the TRN v20 right now. I get this experimentation with the shapes, we are the guinea pigs for KZ. I just wish they would just copy a shape that works from another manufacturer and use it as a base.

I feel like I paid too much for Miracle and Merlin. And these new chifi breeds are so much better for the price. May be I am not too anal-ytical now. I just like the fun factor now.

I would certainly get KZ new earphones if they are similar to ZSR signature. I guess they have nailed it to my preference now, just not the fit. FXT90 knock offs are a more balanced version, which I enjoy too.

Mar 23, 2018 at 5:53 PM Post #14,943 of 33,689
I just find it's much cheaper to experiment with Chinese IEMs, and keep my hobby from making me skint every month. What's the point of only say buying one $100+ IEM a year maybe, like where's the fun in that? A hobby is meant to be exciting and enjoyable, it's hard to get excited when you're forced to eat only toast and eggs for 2-3 months because you bought an IE80 or some CIEM.
Yeah, it seems more reasonable to start out with budget iems, and then see which signature one prefers. Then go for a costlier one with similar signature. You wouldn't feel disappointed as it would just be a step up and no more surprises.

Mar 23, 2018 at 6:34 PM Post #14,944 of 33,689
Yeah, it seems more reasonable to start out with budget iems, and then see which signature one prefers. Then go for a costlier one with similar signature. You wouldn't feel disappointed as it would just be a step up and no more surprises.
Exactly, I wouldn’t be able to tell a V-shaped from an analytical sound signature if I couldn’t try out so many sets. Until the ATE, I honestly thought the SoundMagic E10 were the best €50 IEM’s because WhatHifi said so - no idea that there could be so much difference in signature and level of detail.

Also: wow, what a great discussion this has gotten sinds the ZSR namedrop. :)

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:33 PM Post #14,945 of 33,689
You could say the same about a Japanese-made Sony 4K TV vs a Chinese-made Vizio TV.

Or sparkling wine from Napa Valley vs champagne from France.

Or Cuban cigars vs cigars from Honduras.

Or a Rolex watch vs a Tudor watch.

Different strokes for different folks.

Let's put it this way :)

I do not purchase expensive TVs, but I have some well-priced monitors to work with.

I drink cheap wine most finely, do not even tell the difference well for wines, so I can drink really cheap wine without an issue, and as I like sweet drinks, I think I'd generally hate most overpriced drinks.

I generally advice very responsible spending, but KZ IEMs seem to have something special about them that people do like, which I never owned, so I do not know about.

Mar 23, 2018 at 10:38 PM Post #14,946 of 33,689
Enjoy your audio journey whatever it may be. Just remember 10 years ago when I started we didn't really have the luxury or these offerings. We had 10 - 40 dollar absolute crap or the $200 + decent phones to play with and figure out our preferred sig. There was no in-between or Chi-Fi that we (I) knew of. With more experience you tend to get pickier. But that dosn't mean you can't enjoy a nicely made iem at any price bracket. Maybe with more experience you'll get less picky, who's to say.

The point is I hated the Zs5 lol.

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #14,947 of 33,689
Let's put it this way :)

I do not purchase expensive TVs, but I have some well-priced monitors to work with.

I drink cheap wine most finely, do not even tell the difference well for wines, so I can drink really cheap wine without an issue, and as I like sweet drinks, I think I'd generally hate most overpriced drinks.

I generally advice very responsible spending, but KZ IEMs seem to have something special about them that people do like, which I never owned, so I do not know about.
George, cheap wine gives me a terrible hangover.
Try Marques de Riscal.. Espana

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #14,948 of 33,689

George, cheap wine gives me a terrible hangover.
Try Marques de Riscal.. Espana

I'll have to give that a try.

Acrobat 2015 is one of my favorites (Pinot Gris from Oregon).

Mar 23, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #14,949 of 33,689
My AAW Nebula 1's were about $100...many of my KZs sound better to me. That's the problem with dropping $100 or $200 a pop on IEMs...you don't know if you are going like them. Of course, you can always send them back, but one could prolly send KZs back, too. Plus, part of the fun for many KZ enthusiasts is tinkering with their sound (and then wondering why KZ didn't do that in the first place!).
I grabbed a pair of these when they were on close out for $35 shipped. Decent enough at that price. A bit lacking in sub bass and bass is just not quite there. Its not booming nor blooming nor particularly slow but just makes me feel like something is missing. Highs at least are extra bright like the KZ ZS5 and ZS6. Mids are ok. It just doesn't do anything extra well, nothing to make me want to listen to them over other options I have here.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #14,952 of 33,689
Just remember 10 years ago when I started we didn't really have the luxury or these offerings. We had 10 - 40 dollar absolute crap or the $200 + decent phones to play with and figure out our preferred sig. There was no in-between or Chi-Fi that we (I) knew of. .
Exactly.

Mar 24, 2018 at 4:34 AM Post #14,953 of 33,689
Couple more observations on ZSR. It does sound congested in tracks like "Final Frontier - Thomas Bergersen". And the highs can sound slightly artificial. I compared with UM Merlin and JVC FXT90 knock-off.

ZSR might not be the most versatile iem. Although, it's excellent for mainstream music. JVC FXT90 knock-offs are better all rounder. But I do miss the controlled yet rattling bass present in ZSR.

KZ still has scope to tune the synergy between balanced and dynamic driver.

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:12 AM Post #14,954 of 33,689
Exactly, I wouldn’t be able to tell a V-shaped from an analytical sound signature if I couldn’t try out so many sets. Until the ATE, I honestly thought the SoundMagic E10 were the best €50 IEM’s because WhatHifi said so - no idea that there could be so much difference in signature and level of detail.

Also: wow, what a great discussion this has gotten sinds the ZSR namedrop. :)

Ah long long time ago, before I was even wise enough to be on Head-Fi I owned a pair of the E10. I thought they were pretty damn excellent for the price. Which was like $45-50 at the time.

Now we can get technically better IEMs for less than half that price lmao, where has time gone! I feel like I'm not getting any younger. :frowning2:

Adobe ©®™ makes wine? :dizzy_face:

I like how you committed to that pun with the ® and the ©. That's dedication right there. :D

Mar 24, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #14,955 of 33,689

Toast and eggs ain't that bad :jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back