Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Jan 25, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #14,386 of 33,689
That Meizu looks great, looks like ide better get saving

I'm a big Meizu fan, but if you don't feel like waiting you can get the Magaosi K5 v2.0 right now. 5xBA drivers, including a genuine Knowles dual-BA bass unit. A great IEM.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #14,387 of 33,689
I'd still clarify that statement @Slater as the K5 is still hyper sensitive. if you intend to run an amp, the k5 is probably a bad choice due to hiss. Run straight off a phone or low powered source they are much better.

Jan 26, 2018 at 11:33 AM Post #14,388 of 33,689
I'd still clarify that statement @Slater as the K5 is still hyper sensitive. if you intend to run an amp, the k5 is probably a bad choice due to hiss. Run straight off a phone or low powered source they are much better.
Lost interest in these when I heard about the cables and even more so when I heard that the bass is rolled off. Is this an adequate description or is it an unjust characterization of the K5?

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #14,389 of 33,689
Sorted for a while :)

earphones.jpg

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:33 PM Post #14,390 of 33,689
Sorted for a while :)

Are those Sam$**9 G@l@xy IEMs? Heard they're rather decent for included smartphone IEMs. Had one set as well with my Sam-junk G@l@xy "flagship" level smartphone (that I happily sold just three-ish months after I got it, with a huge $$$ loss). Didn't get a fit with the included ear tips. Am a strict "stock-tips-only" kind of person. Didn't bother trying them with any other tips or even keeping them in my collection and sold it along with the phone. Later found out that it's a dual dynamic driver per side headset.

Jan 26, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #14,391 of 33,689
Jan 26, 2018 at 12:48 PM Post #14,392 of 33,689
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:11 PM Post #14,393 of 33,689
Are those Sam$**9 G@l@xy IEMs? Heard they're rather decent for included smartphone IEMs. Had one set as well with my Sam-junk G@l@xy "flagship" level smartphone (that I happily sold just three-ish months after I got it, with a huge $$$ loss). Didn't get a fit with the included ear tips. Am a strict "stock-tips-only" kind of person. Didn't bother trying them with any other tips or even keeping them in my collection and sold it along with the phone. Later found out that it's a dual dynamic driver per side headset.

I have a pair that came with my Samsung 3.6 DAP. Mine were so good that I actually purchased another 3.6 DAP to get the earphones. It was the main reason but I knew that having an extra Android based Wolfson DAP would also be money well spent. Until now I had completely forgotten about them. I should probably open the box up and check the battery. It's been seven years. Samsung 3.6 sounds fantastic with the Onkyo HF player app installed.
6141v8n5VqL._SL1600_.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #14,394 of 33,689
Lost interest in these when I heard about the cables and even more so when I heard that the bass is rolled off. Is this an adequate description or is it an unjust characterization of the K5?

The latest version has an awesome cable. The original release had the crap cable.

As far as bass, I was worried about this too. I assumed that due to BA only drivers that they would be anemic and lifeless. Sure, they don't have the deep extension like a dynamic driver does, but they have plenty of bass punch (with KZ Starline tips) (which makes me happy as I'm a bass head and listen primarily to EDM music).

I have the Magaosi K3 Pro, and I prefer the K5 to the Pro.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #14,395 of 33,689

I have not experienced any of the hiss others have complained of. Maybe it's the old stock cable that caused that.

For sources, I tried the K5 with my xduoo X3 and also with the FiiO E12A Mont Blanc (IEM Edition). Perhaps the fact that I have the IEM Edition of the E12 is why they play nice with the K5. Unfortunately, I don't have any other amps to test it out with at the moment.

But I am quite happy with the K5, and it's one of my favorite IEMs at the moment (the other being the Pioneer CH9T).

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #14,396 of 33,689
I really like the K5 within the bounds of what it does well too, but it is not just the cable as I threw out the stock cable and did pretty much all my listening with a couple different Vectan and Shure cables and it was still present.

Jan 26, 2018 at 1:54 PM Post #14,397 of 33,689

You could also try some Xiaomi Smartphones. They tend to provide good price / performance ratio

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #14,398 of 33,689
The latest version has an awesome cable. The original release had the crap cable.

As far as bass, I was worried about this too. I assumed that due to BA only drivers that they would be anemic and lifeless. Sure, they don't have the deep extension like a dynamic driver does, but they have plenty of bass punch (with KZ Starline tips) (which makes me happy as I'm a bass head and listen primarily to EDM music).

I have the Magaosi K3 Pro, and I prefer the K5 to the Pro.

If you primarily listen to EDM, try this track on YouTube. It's the opening track on one of the Masterworks Collection mixes and he lets the whole first ten minutes play before introducing the second song. It's the prefect way to slowly build up the energy of a two hour mix and it's a rare track to find (in instrumental format).
Screenshot_2018-01-26-10-57-04.png

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #14,399 of 33,689
I have not experienced any of the hiss others have complained of. Maybe it's the old stock cable that caused that.

For sources, I tried the K5 with my xduoo X3 and also with the FiiO E12A Mont Blanc (IEM Edition). Perhaps the fact that I have the IEM Edition of the E12 is why they play nice with the K5. Unfortunately, I don't have any other amps to test it out with at the moment.

But I am quite happy with the K5, and it's one of my favorite IEMs at the moment (the other being the Pioneer CH9T).

Interesting. Would you consider the Pioneer an upgrade over the K3 Pro?

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #14,400 of 33,689
Interesting. Would you consider the Pioneer an upgrade over the K3 Pro?

Yes, Pioneer CH9T is going to be legend, like the Philips Fidelio X2. The K3 Pro is good, don't get me wrong - it just has some flaws.

The only negatives about the CH9T are:
  • the price ($100+ is overpriced IMO, but I luckily picked mine up for $59)
  • the cable (which eventually comes unraveled at the bottom)
  • the nozzle is gigantic, which won't fit everyone's ears and makes tip rolling more difficult
As far as the price comment, this is understandable over the ridiculous value ChiFi we're all used to now. You're paying a premium for the Pioneer name, dealer distribution channel, enforced retail pricing, advertising, 2 yr warranty, etc. If this was a ChiFi IEM, it would be around $50-$60 I would approximate.

I also wish I could A/B the CH9T with the CH5T. Other than the removable vs fixed cable, the CH5T is supposed to sound extremely close (if not identical) to the CH9T. If that is the case, it is an excellent 'back door' way to basically get the CH9T sound at half the cost. The removable cable of the CH9T is definitely not worth $50 extra cost IMO, unless you're really rough on cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back