Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #11,791 of 33,689
I play electric guitar but will need to also have drums, bass, keyboards and vocals in the mix.

Budget wise I'm thinking £50-100 but can be flexible if it means getting something that's a lot better

What country do you live in?

That budget is a bit tight for decent CIEMs - how about well-isolating UIEMs? The brainwavz B100 could be a good match and is inexpensive.
I'm unfortunately not really familiar with CIEMs in the <$300 range. For a bit more than £200, the LEAR LCF- (or the LHF-version for better resale value since the LHF has only got removable, customised nozzles but universal shells) AE1d is a model that comes into my mind. It's a single dynamic driver IEM

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #11,793 of 33,689
Been listening to the KZ ZST as I've finally gotten around to them
Is it just me or do the highs on the ZST seem a bit over pronounced? I noticed that at some higher volumes the cymbals are pretty loud.
Maybe the dynamic driver needs some break in time so it can flex a bit but so far, sheesh! These things sound good but I could imagine for anyone that doesn't like highs these things would be a headache. I guess we'll see as that dynamic driver really starts to mold itself.

Sep 26, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #11,794 of 33,689
Sep 26, 2017 at 9:59 AM Post #11,795 of 33,689
What country do you live in?

That budget is a bit tight for decent CIEMs - how about well-isolating UIEMs? The brainwavz B100 could be a good match and is inexpensive.
I'm unfortunately not really familiar with CIEMs in the <$300 range. For a bit more than £200, the LEAR LCF- (or the LHF-version for better resale value since the LHF has only got removable, customised nozzles but universal shells) AE1d is a model that comes into my mind. It's a single dynamic driver IEM

UK

opps, I didn't mean custom iem, I just meant Chinese iem.

Thanks for those suggestions I'll take a look

Sep 26, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #11,796 of 33,689

Ah, gotcha. :beerchug:

Imo the Brainwavz might be a match - but there is another IEM I have in mind that might fit even better:
For somewhat more bass and upper mids (gives electric guitars more crunch and makes them more distinguishable) while having smoother, darker upper highs, the Shure SE215 could be a good fit too (even though it's not a Chinese IEM (although manufactured in China)). It's also pretty insensitive to the effect of output impedance (body-packs typically don't always have a low Z output) while the Brainwavz will become more neutral the higher the output impedance is (which is probably not desirable on-stage as an electric guitarist).

Sep 26, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #11,797 of 33,689
They d
Apparently Xiaomi doesn't only make decent budget IEMs, decent Bluetooth speakers and (assumingly) decent smartphones, they also make really decent pens: http://kopfhoerer-lounge.blogspot.com/2017/09/xiaomi-mi-pen.html (my review is in German but with the usual Google Translator gadget option underneath the navigation bar).

My Senator pen now has a new companion for taking notes for reviews (yes, I still do that by hand).
They do, the MIJIA pen, but the ink cartridges don't last me very long and are rather expensive. I prefer MUJI pens, same great ink and write quality minus the nice substantial heft of the MIJIA but lasts longer.

On a different topic, does anyone here know the precise difference between KZ and QKZ headphones, there seems to be overlap between their model lines which I assume might be just KZ and QKZ using the same OEM to source cases or are they identical. I thinks its established that they are indeed different companies right?

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #11,798 of 33,689
:D treble Nukes indeed.

However, someone recently posted a decent impression on Zs6 over in the kz thread. Who knows. :call_me:

I mean I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with doing it that way, it was likely an intentional choice and sure some may love it, but that just doesn't look like it's for me. :p

Sep 26, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #11,799 of 33,689
Sep 26, 2017 at 1:41 PM Post #11,800 of 33,689
Sep 26, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #11,801 of 33,689
UK

Thanks for those suggestions I'll take a look
I still suggest ZS5 with foam tips. They separate instruments and also guitars and violins sound amazing. To me anyway. :call_me:

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:39 PM Post #11,802 of 33,689
I'm newbie in ZS5's listening. I've got rev.2 (they are screw*ng bright, but i like this kind of sound signature). I have to say i'm not using any foams on my chi-fi's. They always muddy all kind of earphones. I really like Spiral dots (ML sized). They are fitting all earphones and with them every iem's sound absolutely gorgeous. Even well known spin-fits doesn't sound so good. Really love them. Spiral dot on any iem's :blush:

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #11,803 of 33,689
I'm newbie in ZS5's listening. I've got rev.2 (they are screw*ng bright, but i like this kind of sound signature). I have to say i'm not using any foams on my chi-fi's. They always muddy all kind of earphones. I really like Spiral dots (ML sized). They are fitting all earphones and with them every iem's sound absolutely gorgeous. Even well known spin-fits doesn't sound so good. Really love them. Spiral dot on any iem's :blush:
Wow! You are a true treble head. :call_me:

Sep 26, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #11,804 of 33,689
:grinning: i think i'm. I like my full sized K702 with similar signature. When i was choosing my big headphones maybe 2-3 years ago they were a true winner over K712, HD600, HD598...
I like the cleanliness, liveliness, openness of bright head/earphones.

Sep 26, 2017 at 3:48 PM Post #11,805 of 33,689
On a different topic, does anyone here know the precise difference between KZ and QKZ headphones, there seems to be overlap between their model lines which I assume might be just KZ and QKZ using the same OEM to source cases or are they identical.

A very
dangerous and likely disappointing supposition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back