Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #12,661 of 33,689
I hate when this happens:
I always buy myself something for my birthday in September but this year I decided to do an 11/11 spurge on good IEMs. Research, evaluate, question, select, and create spreadsheet. Get email from Massdrop. Cannot resist NuForce uDAC-5 deal. OK. Reset 11/11 budget. More research, evaluate, question, select, prune list. Get email from Ebay. Find HIGHFIMAN He400i deal too good to pass up. OK. Redefine budget for 11/11. More research, evaluate, question, select, prune list. Repeat. Repeat. Find Lake-People G109S headphone amp. Reset budget for 11/11. New budget = $zero.
Im in the same dilemma. I really have no idea what to get during the 11/11...

Oct 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM Post #12,665 of 33,689
There had been a conversation earlier on this thread about the disparity between my feelings as regards the DM5 vs the Magaosi K3HD when compared with @B9Scrambler.

Having re-listened to both, and read the reviews posted by B9 on both, and then spoken with @B9Scrambler via PM I think I can conclusively say that we are not as diametrically opposed as it initially appeared.
What it comes down to is personal bias and preference.

1.) Both of us agree that the K3 whips the DM5 in imaging. Hands down - no comparison.
2.) Both of us agree that the DM5 has slightly recessed mids when compared to the K3.
3.) I will concede that upon listening to the DM5 again that the Bass extension is better than my initial impressions.

For me, what it came down to was, the imaging was the unforgivable sin of the DM5. I prefer the more forward mid of the K3 and that combined with the imaging was the selling point to me.
To @B9Scrambler, the mids were not as big an issue as the extension on both ends and while conceding that the imaging on the DM5 is "Wonky", this was not as big an issue in his view as it was in mine.

I think this is a great example of why you should never trust one review or reviewer as all of us are looking for slightly different things. In this case, some might have skipped the DM5 because of my statements and missed out on something they really enjoy and others (myself included) might not have taken the time to listen to the K3 if we had read @B9Scrambler's review first.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 12:11 PM Post #12,666 of 33,689
There had been a conversation earlier on this thread about the disparity between my feelings as regards the DM5 vs the Magaosi K3HD when compared with @B9Scrambler.

Having re-listened to both, and read the reviews posted by B9 on both, and then spoken with @B9Scrambler via PM I think I can conclusively say that we are not as diametrically opposed as it initially appeared.

1.) Both of us agree that the K3 whips the DM5 in imaging. Hands down - no comparison.
2.) Both of us agree that the DM5 has slightly recessed mids when compared to the K3.
3.) I will concede that upon listening to the DM5 again that the Bass extension is better than my initial impressions.

For me, what it came down to was, the imaging was the unforgivable sin of the DM5. I prefer the more forward mid of the K3 and that combined with the imaging was the selling point to me.
To @B9Scrambler, the mids were not as big an issue as the extension on both ends and while conceding that the imaging on the DM5 is "Wonky", this was not as big an issue in his view as it was in mine.

I think this is a great example of why you should never trust one review or reviewer as all of us are looking for slightly different things. In this case, some might have skipped the DM5 because of my statements and missed out on something they really enjoy and others (myself included) might not have taken the time to listen to the K3 if we had read @B9Scrambler's review first.

Just to reiterate on something mentioned before that might have been overlooked, I have and compared to the Ausbos K3 which is a rebrand of the original Magaosi K3, not the K3 HD. I think the DM5 and K3 play at the same level more or less with each having their own positives and negatives. Since both are, imo, tuned for a fun sound and not something you'd use for monitoring and critical listening, entertainment value is one of the main reasons I prefer the DM5. It's a more entertaining listen, even if it's imaging qualities are completely wack just off centre. I can overlook that to a point due to the bass presence which is awesome. Also, my review has been posted on Head-fi. It's unchanged from my blog post, just with a star rating applied (which I hate having to use...bleh); https://head-fi.org/showcase/bgvp-dm5.22599/reviews#review-19367

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:25 PM Post #12,667 of 33,689
+1 bro.
end of 2017 / 2018 promises.
A lot of new IEM´s
LZ A5 / small dipper lol
new hybrid Orivetti
FLC9
Fidue Virgo
new Oriolus
etc...

Are you ready?

giphy.gif
Ohh my goodness you make me already confuse even before release something else specially for LZ and Orivetti,

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:39 PM Post #12,668 of 33,689
I hate when this happens:
I always buy myself something for my birthday in September but this year I decided to do an 11/11 spurge on good IEMs. Research, evaluate, question, select, and create spreadsheet. Get email from Massdrop. Cannot resist NuForce uDAC-5 deal. OK. Reset 11/11 budget. More research, evaluate, question, select, prune list. Get email from Ebay. Find HIGHFIMAN He400i deal too good to pass up. OK. Redefine budget for 11/11. More research, evaluate, question, select, prune list. Repeat. Repeat. Find Lake-People G109S headphone amp. Reset budget for 11/11. New budget = $zero.
It's only because of Research, evaluate, Questions, Select lol lol and than some emails comes and lol lol lol..............

Oct 26, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #12,671 of 33,689

If the midrange on the DM5 is even more recessed than on the K3 HD they're certainly not for me since I find the V on the K3 HD to be too deep already.

Now I'm glad that I passed on the DM5 and went straight to the B400, I'm pretty sure that they'll suit my preferences better....

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:19 PM Post #12,672 of 33,689
'

I thought 4 is considered an unlucky number by the Chinese? There is no ZS4 either.

Interesting. Like stated there is the LZ A4 and the VJJB K4. Guess it depends how superstitious the maker is

Oct 26, 2017 at 3:52 PM Post #12,673 of 33,689
If the midrange on the DM5 is even more recessed than on the K3 HD they're certainly not for me since I find the V on the K3 HD to be too deep already.

Now I'm glad that I passed on the DM5 and went straight to the B400, I'm pretty sure that they'll suit my preferences better....

The B400 is another animal entirely. Good choice.

Oct 26, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #12,674 of 33,689
To me, imaging is a complete non-issue unless I'm gaming or watching a movie. It's probably the least important sonic factor(for me).

Edit - So the LZ A5 is going to have a "Shure cavity"... So... Does that mean they're going for a more ergonomic shell design, or something else?

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #12,675 of 33,689
Lol so they skipped the K4 and went straight to K5

4 is an unlucky number in China. A lot of products/manufacturers skip over 4 or avoid it in some way. Not all though; just a lot of them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back