Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Feb 14, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #5,866 of 33,689
  My main music preference is progressive rock (Steven Wilson, TOOL, King Crimson, O.R.Lopez, The Mars Volta etc.) and with some sax and violins it got "too much" for my ears. 

That's the problem with modern music these days, just like modern TV.....too much sax and violins.....

...I'll see myself out...

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:07 AM Post #5,868 of 33,689
@alvinlim2010 i was specifically thinking of hidizs ap60 when i wrote that. But i'm also waiting for my benjie x1 currently stuck at the post office.

@Skullophile so you're saying, save up for a good dap before buying good iem? Also, at what price point do dap get noticeably better?

Pretty amazing for its low price. Obviously can't expect it to compete with higher end models but for an everyday work beater it's fantastic. By the way I've been using it for 3+ hours per day for 5 days now. Check out that battery!

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:15 AM Post #5,870 of 33,689
alvinlim2010 i was specifically thinking of hidizs ap60 when i wrote that. But i'm also waiting for my benjie x1 currently stuck at the post office.

Skullophile so you're saying, save up for a good dap before buying good iem? Also, at what price point do dap get noticeably better?
I was thinking of Daps like DX90 and Fiio X5 or anything on this level. I'm saying I wish I spent a more even amount of money on a good DAP as I spent on iems. Looking back I think I would have been better off.
Some of these new daps might be really nice, I dont know but if I was gonna buy a $100 DAP I can't see I wouldn't be better off with a $250 balanced DAP like the Aune M1s or similar. Which takes the sound to another level above Fiio X5
10 years ago when I started out a portable balanced DAP would have cost sooo much more.

I would rather listen to a $30 iem through a $250 DAP than a $250 iem through a $30 DAP.
(Generally speaking).

Feb 15, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #5,871 of 33,689
I was thinking of Daps like DX90 and Fiio X5 or anything on this level. I'm saying I wish I spent a more even amount of money on a good DAP as I spent on iems. Looking back I think I would have been better off.
Some of these new daps might be really nice, I dont know but if I was gonna buy a $100 DAP I can't see I wouldn't be better off with a $250 balanced DAP like the Aune M1s or similar. Which takes the sound to another level above Fiio X5
10 years ago when I started out a portable balanced DAP would have cost sooo much more.

I would rather listen to a $30 iem through a $250 DAP than a $250 iem through a $30 DAP.
(Generally speaking).

Not sure what logic is this and would like whatever you're smoking

Feb 15, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #5,873 of 33,689

Frankly to my own experience (still a noob, I started from a Benjie S5, then Fiio X3, then DX90 and now the Opus #1), I feel that the IEMs have a more direct impact on the sound signature delivered to you, as compared to DAPs. My KZ IEMs do not sound as good in terms of a step up, as compared my LZ A4, which scales up more.

Feb 15, 2017 at 3:06 AM Post #5,874 of 33,689
  Nice review, looking good.
Anyone got some impressions on the MaGaosi K3.

Yes, page 364....or try this link. http://www.head-fi.org/t/820747/chinese-asian-brand-info-thread-portable-headphones-and-iems/5445#post_13229487

and, I might be updating it, because MaGaosi K3 PRO is right around the corner.
tongue_smile.gif
 ....still burning them in!

Feb 15, 2017 at 4:26 AM Post #5,875 of 33,689

Frankly to my own experience (still a noob, I started from a Benjie S5, then Fiio X3, then DX90 and now the Opus #1), I feel that the IEMs have a more direct impact on the sound signature delivered to you, as compared to DAPs. My KZ IEMs do not sound as good in terms of a step up, as compared my LZ A4, which scales up more.

Depends on the type of head-fier you are. If you have a collection of phones, a great dap makes everything better but a great IEM limits you to it only for the better experience.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:12 AM Post #5,876 of 33,689
I Urbanfun HiFi and are super.
How is Sound Quality: LZ A3 vs Urbanfun HiFi?
How is Sound Quality: LZ A3 vs MusicMaker TK12 / TK13?
LZ A3​ or MusicMaker TK12 / TK13 - are they worth it to replace Urbanfun?
Can anyone answer me?  Please help.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #5,877 of 33,689
Depends on the type of head-fier you are. If you have a collection of phones, a great dap makes everything better but a great IEM limits you to it only for the better experience.

Every DAP I've used has some compromise in terms of usability. I've found the best solution for me is to combine a phone (in my case an iPhone) with a decent DAC. You retain the easy of use and ability to use streaming services without WiFi. There's no shortage of decent sub £200 DACs now.

One downside though is the ability to minutely control the volume is compromised.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:24 AM Post #5,878 of 33,689
Every DAP I've used has some compromise in terms of usability. I've found the best solution for me is to combine a phone (in my case an iPhone) with a decent DAC. You retain the easy of use and ability to use streaming services without WiFi. There's no shortage of decent sub £200 DACs now.

One downside though is the ability to minutely control the volume is compromised.

I've been using LG V10 lately which for me negates the need for a dac. But I do agree that every dap has it's compromises. Although, I haven't found it yet with the Opus #1, except lack of capability to stream Tidal.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:28 AM Post #5,879 of 33,689
I've been using LG V10 lately which for me negates the need for a dac. But I do agree that every dap has it's compromises. Although, I haven't found it yet with the Opus #1, except lack of capability to stream Tidal.

That Opus is a fair chunk of cash. I was looking at the LG G5 with the BO sound module a while back but never got round to purchasing one.

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #5,880 of 33,689
That Opus is a fair chunk of cash. I was looking at the LG G5 with the BO sound module a while back but never got round to purchasing one.

For Daps I'm curious how decent the Cayin N3 will be. It's relatively inexpensive and hopefully will outperform it's price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back