Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Nov 13, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #28,336 of 33,689
All this talk about tips, does anyone notice that the silicone tips that create a really nice seal tend to cause air pressure when inserting and removing? In fact so much so you can hear the driver flex and crackle when doing until it equalizes? I've been really paranoid about this and switched to foam tips for my higher end DD IEMS. Strangely enough though for the IEMS i still use silicone tips for i never actually recall having damaged them.

It depends on the particular earphone. Not every dynamic earphone has driver flex. It depends on the specific venting design.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:10 PM Post #28,337 of 33,689
I have a box of 'new' from Japan and 'old' ones from Penon. What is the difference?
upload_2019-11-13_22-39-57.png

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #28,339 of 33,689
Nov 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #28,340 of 33,689
I saw them on ebay

The 'New' version I got from Japan are exactly the same as the ones I have got a couple of times from Penon. It's possible my 'New' ones from Japan are actually the 'Old' ones. The good thing about the Penon ones is that they are good tips and relatively affordable......and I find Penon trustworthy.

Nov 13, 2019 at 12:33 PM Post #28,341 of 33,689
Nov 13, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #28,342 of 33,689
The 'New' version I got from Japan are exactly the same as the ones I have got a couple of times from Penon. It's possible my 'New' ones from Japan are actually the 'Old' ones. The good thing about the Penon ones is that they are good tips and relatively affordable......and I find Penon trustworthy.

There are three different types of Spiral Dots now.

Old "regular " Spiral Dots (bundled with older JVC IEMs and sold separately)
Spiral Dots + (Bundled with FD-01, not sure if sold separately)
Spiral Dots ++ (Bundled with FW10000 and sold separately)

I have the regular and +. + are more supple, have better grip and are very soft on touch, different than any other silicon tip I know, it's supposed to emulate human skin if I am not mistaken.

Unlike the ++ which are bicolor, the + are all in black, there might be other differences. I find the ++ a bit too expensive for now so I don't have any to compare.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2019 at 1:02 PM Post #28,344 of 33,689
There are three different types of Spiral Dots now.

Old "regular " Spiral Dots (bundled with older JVC IEMs and sold separately)
Spiral Dots + (Bundled with FD-01, not sure if sold separately)
Spiral Dots ++ (Bundled with FW10000 and sold separately)

I have the regular and +. + are more supple, have better grip and are very soft on touch, different than any other silicon tip I know, it's supposed to emulate human skin if I am not mistaken.

Unlike the ++ which are bicolor, the + are all in black, there might be other differences. I find the ++ a bit too expensive for now so I don't have any to compare.

Thank you for that. When I get the opportunity I'll get the ++'s....if I can afford them.

Steve

Nov 13, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #28,345 of 33,689
Thank you for that. When I get the opportunity I'll get the ++'s....if I can afford them.

Steve
Azla earfits are a option they dont have the dots but are build similar the dots smooth out the treble and gets the high a bit more blurry this dont happen on the azla

Nov 13, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #28,347 of 33,689
Nov 13, 2019 at 4:32 PM Post #28,348 of 33,689
That is the major cons of original ****, timbre is very wrong and unnatural, how come a lot of people dont even realize this. Secondly is mid bass bleed. Too bad because they have good potential with great texture on bass and details and airy sounstage. Hopefully the pro version fix those issues.

This might be news for you but sound is a very personal thing so to say that you're right about the timber and everyone else is wrong is a bit arrogant to me. I do agree with you on the bass though :wink:

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:11 PM Post #28,349 of 33,689
All this talk about tips, does anyone notice that the silicone tips that create a really nice seal tend to cause air pressure when inserting and removing? In fact so much so you can hear the driver flex and crackle when doing until it equalizes? I've been really paranoid about this and switched to foam tips for my higher end DD IEMS. Strangely enough though for the IEMS i still use silicone tips for i never actually recall having damaged them.

True, whoever pretty much all my DD IEM's do this when i get a good seal. The question is...has anyone ever damaged their IEMS by doing this?

I've asked a lot of audiophiles and nobody conclusively knows if driver flex will damage the IEM. I've never had a driver die on me due to driver flex after 15 years of using IEMs though.

I find pulling your ear lobe down or opening your jaw during IEM insertion and removal tends to lessen driver flex, and driver flex is also quite dependent on your ear anatomy and the IEM.

Nov 13, 2019 at 6:22 PM Post #28,350 of 33,689
I had a Goldring IEM that flexed quite bad and the right driver died as I refit them after losing a little seal on my right. Died just as it flexed. Heard the flex and no more sound. Always wondered if I had paused first maybe it wouldn't have died. They had some sweet sounding vocals so it was shame.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back