chinchilla-fi
Dec 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

aristos_achaion

500+ Head-Fier
I've been thinking about getting a pair of chinchillas, possible after Christmas (I live in a smallish apartment, but want a pet more substantial than a gerbil). Anyone here have experience with them? I'd ask on a more chinchilla-oriented forum, but, frankly, some of those people scare me.

Dec 15, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #3 of 13
I'd hardly classify a chinchilla as either gear or a gadget. Members lounge next time eh?

Dec 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 13
In all seriousness, I've heard they bite.
nocturnal, too.

If you get them used to people young, though, they do well, and I've heard they're like dogs with their owners. Really get attached.

Edit: and I just read the wiki article, and all that seems to be true, along with a bunch of other weird stuff. Check it out.

Dec 16, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #6 of 13
Why a chinchilla? Be sure to check your state and local exotic animal ordinances to see if they're allowed where you live.

But if you want attention and affection, it's hard to beat a cat or dog. Your local shelter probably has dozens in need of a home.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why a chinchilla? Be sure to check your state and local exotic animal ordinances to see if they're allowed where you live.

But if you want attention and affection, it's hard to beat a cat or dog. Your local shelter probably has dozens in need of a home.

they might have a chinchilla, too.
Be on the lookout.

/sraca.

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:14 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyrokid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And they're good eatin' too.

The first thing I though of was the old (really old) SNL skit for the "Chinch Master". Chinchillas in, fur coats and sausages out.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:07 AM Post #11 of 13
I'm voting for a feline. A kitten from the animal shelter, neutered/spayed, is a great indoor apartment pet. they're affectionate, good company, fun play with and pretty much trouble free. Give them a clean litter box, a bowl of water and a bowl of food and they're good for the day. X7 everything and they can be on their own for a week.

Dec 23, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought it was going to be a coat thread.

A chinchilla coat....Interesting!

Back when my sister and I were in High School a chinchilla caught her interest. In the end we adopted a rabbit instead from a family that needed to give one up. Then we got a puppy who tried to eat the rabbit every time he saw her. Needless to say, no one in our family has brought up the idea of a chinchilla or any other small four legged pets since then...

Dec 23, 2009 at 5:29 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatcat28037 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm voting for a feline. A kitten from the animal shelter, neutered/spayed, is a great indoor apartment pet. they're affectionate, good company, fun play with and pretty much trouble free. Give them a clean litter box, a bowl of water and a bowl of food and they're good for the day. X7 everything and they can be on their own for a week.

I wasn't gonna say anything until this happened, but...
I had a pet bearded dragon, and it was more playful/cuddly than any cat I've ever had/encountered.
and I have a dog, and it's just playful and cuddly on a whole 'nother level. Plus, doesn't shoot off piercing hairs wherever it goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back