chill-out artists?
Aug 20, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dvessel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
trip-hop is boring IMO. Look for IDM artists. Way more engaging and often a lot more expressive.

* Boards of Canada as mentioned above. Look for "Music has the right to children" and "Geogaddi".
* Plaid, "Spokes" is great. The sound track to "Tekkon Kinkreet" is really nice too.
* The Tuss, "Rushup Edge".
* AFX, the "Analord" series and "Hangable Auto Bulb"
* Chris Clark or "Clark", The album "Clarence Park" is nice.
* Bola..

If you play my library (in my sig), you'll hear many of them but it'll be mixed in with some other genres.

I vouch for these picks. boc always a favorite..... if you like them checkout Christ. (the period at the end is part of the name, and no it does not refer to jesus) he used to be a boc band member

more electronica....aphextwin, autechre, the black dog, fourtet, pole. if your into chiller/slower electronica, check out Kruder & Dorfmeister, m83 or some post rock 65daysofstatic

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:08 AM Post #18 of 20
One of my very favorite artists/albums to chill out to is:
The Durutti Column/Sex And Death

The name of the album makes it sound as though it's going to be intense, but it's excellent relaxing stuff to get a refreshing chill to. Vini Reilly is excellent to chill out to.

Several very good collections of chill-out artists, from which to get an idea of whose music to delve further into (which include a good number of the artists recommended above) are (in order of preference for me):

Dreamworld: Essential Late Night Listening (more on the soothing Goth, trip-hop, downtempo side)
The Classic Chillout Album (a bit more toward soothing (quality) pop)

Aug 24, 2008 at 1:37 AM Post #19 of 20
All good, *= must have

*Boards of Canada - In a Beautiful Place in the Country
*Kruder & Dorfmeister - K&D Sessions
Sushi Club - Sakura
Thievery Corporation - DJ Kicks
*Ambidextrous - Morkva
*Beaumont Hannant - Sculptured
Pelpp and A.Vanvranken - Pedal
Secede - Tryshasla
*The Cinematic Orchestra - The Man With a Movie Camera
Shen - Outlines

Aug 28, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #20 of 20
Totally not in the "genre" but to me is the best zoning out album in a long time
Dead Soul Tribe - A Murder of Crows
Also check out On A Sunday of Life by Porcupine Tree - like a trippy greatest hits album

Users who are viewing this thread

Back