Chief Justice Rehnquist is dead
Sep 4, 2005 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 14
RIP Mr. Rehnquist.
frown.gif

Sep 4, 2005 at 3:34 AM Post #4 of 14
Sad indeed. Maybe that's why he didn't step down when he became so ill. He knew the end was near anyway.

BTW, it's unfortunate that I even have to mention this, but this thread will be for condolences not politics.

Sep 4, 2005 at 3:51 AM Post #6 of 14
Unfortunate that the situation (if not this thread) will indeed be poiltical. He served the country and the court w/ distinction.
RIP Chief Justice and-TAKE OFF THAT RED SHIRT!!!(It's a Cal/Stanford thing!)
biggrin.gif

CPW

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:24 AM Post #8 of 14
I'm glad he lived out his assignment to the very end. Very courageous.

Sep 4, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by cpw
RIP Chief Justice and-TAKE OFF THAT RED SHIRT!!!(It's a Cal/Stanford thing!)
biggrin.gif
CPW

Condolences to his family - ROLL HIM UP!!!! (Yet more Cal/Scamfraud thing)

Sep 4, 2005 at 6:54 AM Post #10 of 14
America has lost a towering jurist, who served on the Court for some of the most important decisions in recent history.

Requiem aeternam dona eis, Domine, et lux perpetua luceat eis.

Sep 4, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 14
I was fortunate to have met him (or I should say that I at least got to shake his hand). He gave a speech at our law school and was very generous with his time afterwards. Given his ruputation as being such a hard nose on the bench, it was quite nice to see that he was such a down to Earth man, and dare I say, humble. A life as well lived as his will most certainly be missed.

Sep 4, 2005 at 7:22 AM Post #12 of 14
Another lawyer head-fier shocked to hear the news upon logging on for a late-night look at the boards. I'm not on the same end of the spectrum as the Chief, but he was a distinguished jurist who had a huge impact on the judiciary and the country. I keep thinking somebody should step up for Stanfurd, but I don't have the heart. R.I.P., Mr. Chief Justice.

Sep 4, 2005 at 12:30 PM Post #14 of 14
I'm just picking this up this AM...I knew that he was not well, but this still comes as a shock.

He was a distinguished justice (which ought to be an oxymoron, if you think about it) who should be missed regardless of one's politics.

R.I.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back