Chicago Head-Fi Meet 07/31/04 Impressions (PLEASE POST HERE)
Aug 4, 2004 at 3:22 PM Post #61 of 87
Billy, we're still waiting on the pics of Kat the coffee girl... heard so much about her, you know, trying to associate a name with a face, that kind of thing...
blink.gif

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:26 PM Post #62 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Billy, we're still waiting on the pics of Kat the coffee girl... heard so much about her, you know, trying to associate a name with a face, that kind of thing...
blink.gif

Now we're talkin'!

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:32 PM Post #63 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
blink.gif

Wayne, does this mean I have to hire a coffee girl for the South Florida meet? Round trip tickets from Chicago to Fort Lauderdale are pretty cheap right now. Maybe Kat is available.

Aug 4, 2004 at 3:42 PM Post #65 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
she took some good pics, but i have to get them from her and get kinkos...

Hope you enjoy that...

Aug 4, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #68 of 87
this was my first meet and i had a great time. big props to bhd for the excellent planning and execution. good location and food too! now, onto the listening...

i had a chance to try out a bunch of eagle drivers gear (thanks a lot!) and i definitely fell in love with the 7509s. i currently use the v700s at work all day with my karma and the difference direct from karma with no amp (hey i am poor college student, lay off
wink.gif
) was stunning. in fact, for any phones i listened to, one of the things i also noticed was that i couldn't tell much difference (to be honest none at all) between listening to a Philip Glass CD on the billy's NAD + %amp_hooked_up_to_billys_nad% and the ogg vorbis -q 6 direct out of my karma. maybe i am deaf/do not have good hearing, but thats how i feel about it. eagle driver addressed my opinions of all the rest of his gear that i listened with in his first post.

the best phones i heard at the meet had to be the HD650s. they were the first hi-end senns i have listened to and i was blown away by their quality. super punchy (in a good way) and very live (in a good way), i fell in love. the problem of course is that i love isolation (which is why i am going to move up to some er-4s very soon) and i do not like the bidirectional bleeding of noise with open phones. the hd600s were similar, but had less impact on me. i definitely did not enjoy any of the numerous grado phones as much at all. to bright for my taste. they were all very comfortable, though.

speaking of er-4s, thanks to todd for letting me try his out with some new foam. i was getting really pissed at my er-6s cus they hurt and do not fit right, and having a chance to try the er-4s was awesome. they were awesome and i am totally going to get a pair once i return my er-6s and take care of some long-awaited imports (tomoyasu hotei , a metal-version FF OST, gekitou ninja taisen 2, and the DONKEY KONGAs for the cube).

i really loved ray's phono (i didnt know anyone would be bringing a TT to the meet or i would have brought my daft punk collection!) and would like to know what phono preamp and cart/stylus he was using for it. it was freaking awesome.

the best setup i heard all day was, hands down, the wheatfield + 650s. it was awesome. i cranked out some underworld (push upstairs) and i was blown away. it is the only time i have had a headphone experience that was better than speakers. a close friend of mine has a killer-huge klipsch-thx (the real thx, not bs multimedia speaker fake new certifications) setup that i watch dvds on weekly and the underworld 'everything everything' dvd has 'push upstairs' on it and i was floored at how great it sounded compared to the dvd (granted the 5.1 bitstream is compressed, but i figured the multi-channel would make up for it). too bad the wheatfield + 650s would cost the same as quarter of tuition for me
frown.gif

anyway, i had a great time and really enjoyed pimping the karma for a few people who liked it a lot. thanks a bunch and perhaps we shall meet again at milwaukee meet!

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:54 PM Post #70 of 87
Note that these tests were performed through the line in of my M-Audio Revolution 7.1 soundcard. But I have a hunch that what measured best in frequency response actually sounded worst in listening tests, based on the reaction at the 31 July Chicago Head-Fi meet. And the player which measured worst in RMAA's frequency response tests actually sounded better than many of the other PCDPs at the meet. This gives creedence that the audio inputs on the M-Audio Revolution is not very accurate; in fact, it may itself be boosting the bass and treble of any input going into the card. (The relatively low dynamic-range results for the Revo itself may actually be skewing the dynamic range results for some of the PCDPs, as well.) I will try to get a better soundcard, such as the E-Mu 1212M, to determine whether or not it's the Revo itself that's to blame. (Even the Audigy2 ZS may actually perform better at 24/96 than my Revo at the same bit/sampling rate - I couldn't get any RMAA result at all whatsoever from my Revo at 24/96. It could have been the driver version used during the RMAA testing - the current 1.0.2.8 version - which had bugs.) Any updates to this thread and to the Panasonic SL-MP77 and Sony D-NE300 threads will be posted at a later date.

Aug 4, 2004 at 7:58 PM Post #71 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhd812
lol. I wear a wig and even bring my gear..lol

I will contact the other attendees for their wig color preference. If you don't mind, could you bring some of that pizza I saw in the pics, the pizza done here is pretty bad.

Aug 5, 2004 at 7:52 PM Post #74 of 87
I'm only sorry that July 31st put me home for summer break. Next fall when I'm back in Chicago for school I hope I can hit up something.

Aug 6, 2004 at 12:02 AM Post #75 of 87
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Mac
Next up was trying a completely new headphone. I was talking with a nice gentleman who had just purchased Etymotic 4 series (I think 4P) and he had come to see if an amp would improve his system (Iriver -> etys). He very graciously let me try the etys on my source (amped by the cosmic) and they sang beautifully. I've never heard detail like that before or since (including from the Omegas, but it may have been due to background noise). I heard a new symbol line in the vary back on one of my favourite songs, utter clarity across the spectrum, and just generally excellent music. They did lack the visceral slam that I'd grown accustomed to with my grados and CD-1700 but they still knocked my socks off. I think that a few purchases down the road lies a canalphone for me.

Nice writeup Jake! That was me with the Etymotics. They are the 4S's, not the 4-Ps. I agree with your assessment.

It was fun meeting you. That's a long trip for a headfi meet -- glad it was worth it for you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back