Chicago Head-Fi get-together, w/pics
Dec 3, 2001 at 5:29 PM Post #31 of 72
Well, I am happy that most people really seem to like the RA-1, since I have gotten flack from people who never heard it, but still think it's crap. Most people who hear the little piece of wood know otherwise.
wink.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 5:35 PM Post #32 of 72
Quote:

I ran into a "low volume" problem a couple of times during my listening session in Detroit. It turned out that each display rack had a single headroom amp acting as a master volume control from the input signal to the other amps. Sometimes someone would inadvertantly play with this volume control, either blasting the hell out of all the headphones on the rack ( at one point someone cranked it so loud the headphones sounded like loudspeakers from across the room) or diminishing the power output to a point where you could hardly hear a particular set of phones even with their dedicated amp cranked full.

Doh! I didn't know that or else I would have fixed it.

Quote:

Well, I am happy that most people really seem to like the RA-1, since I have gotten flack from people who never heard it, but still think it's crap. Most people who hear the little piece of wood know otherwise.

Yeah, I am one that kept coming back to listen to this little amp. It may have cheap parts in it but it's tweaked to sound pretty good.

Dec 3, 2001 at 6:27 PM Post #33 of 72
Quote:

You mean that after all that bad press from the DIY group, the RA-1 still sounded good to those that actually listened to it?

Shocking!!!

rolleyes.gif

Dec 3, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #34 of 72
When we got back from lunch Danny fixed the volume problem on the Holmes-Powell.It still didn't sound good at all.He does not think highly of this amp either.The HA2 that was on the high end board was new and was the upgraded version.The HA2 that was on the same board as the Creek,Grado,Corda etc.was the standard model and had a bad tube(I could see it fading in and out).The right channel fade and static was caused by the bad tube.Lots of guys liked the Grado,I have one and I gotta say it is the best battery powered amp I have heard,simple circuit and all.I must get a blockhead, I loved it.I'm trying to convince my brother to buy one so I can go by his house or he can lend it to me to hear anytime.I couldn't get him to come to the get-together so of course he has no way of hearing it unless he buys.I didn't think to stay and listen while everyone was at lunch,but then again I would have missed the awesome pizza and stimulating conversation.I heard what I needed to hear and I have made some short and long term descisions about amps and phones.I think that was at least part of the purpose of Tyll and Danny driving all the way from Montana.

Dec 3, 2001 at 8:50 PM Post #35 of 72
hey tuberoller,

when's the next time your tuberolling group meets? i say, the sooner the better because i think i'm suffering from a serious case of orpheus withdrawal...

that saturday was totally kick-ass... !

and now that my ears have touched the orpheus, i may never wash them again.

Dec 3, 2001 at 9:15 PM Post #37 of 72
Quite interesting.

1. Some people said they don't think Big O is the king before, and somehow I lost some confidience in it.
Then, we all know now.

2 RS-1 is not piece of crap.

3. HP Amp is not as good as the hype, or price.

I've learned a lesson here is that you have to try it first before you make up your mind and claim something.

Dec 3, 2001 at 9:53 PM Post #38 of 72
Quote:

PC Corp said...

2 RS-1 is not piece of crap.

I think you mean the RA-1, yes?

Dec 3, 2001 at 10:12 PM Post #43 of 72
Hi Tuberoller, that'd be great! Let me know when you guys want to have another meet, I'll try to be there and see if I can persuade my dad to come along too.
smily_headphones1.gif

mbriant: LOL!

Dec 4, 2001 at 12:19 AM Post #45 of 72
Wait a minute, I'm confused....
confused.gif

So the RA-1 isn't a POS?!?

Who am I to believe?
Those that actually listened to it,
(with different cans and compared it to other amps)
or those that looked at a schematic of it?
eek.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back